TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
    Great post! I believe any dog can be trained to track some better then others and some more aggressive then others. A dog with high drive takes to it faster and food is not the only reward you can use. Bella is crazy about her ball so at the end of a track she get to play ball. What ever will motivate your pup. One thing that was the hardest thing for me was to not out track you dog. Thinking the track goes one way and pulling your dog off HER track. My dog ground scents and air scents so a lot of times she will get off the blood and take what I call is her short cut to the deer. Let your dog work! I run her on a lead and when I pull it out she knows it time to work. We did not start her on blood we started her on human scent. My wife and I would take her into the woods and play hide and seek. Using one of my wife's shoes and painters tape. Kim would mark the trail with the tape and go hide then I would let Bella scent the shoe and off she would go. It was a big game to the dog with a treat at the end with lots of praise. She found her first deer at 12 weeks an easy track but she would go from blood spot to blood spot until she found the deer. It kinda freaked her out because there was a big old dead buck instead of a dog treat at the end of the trail. She has only lost one track only because we did not have permission to cross the fence. She is now Texas One Blood tracking certified and I am looking forwards to the next blood track and her next test given my Our own Paul Coffman AKA K9 Trainer.
    Good Stuff Riguad!

Thanks for posting!

I hope Paul will post again and perhaps share some of his knowledge & advise.

Comment

I would like more info on this certificate. Is this a course that was taken?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

I would like more info on this certificate.

Is this a course that was taken?
        Here is Paul's site, and the tests he gives....

Comment

Originally posted by ROWDY View Post

Here is my now 7month old Redbone.

Copper has been on some short tracks and seems to be picking it up better each time.

[ATTACH]631375[/ATTACH]
          Originally posted by coyotekatie View Post

Our redbone Copper...aka Red.

He loves being out in the woods. Licking blood and he seems to enjoy it more and more.

Anxious to see him this fall in action!

[ATTACH]631376[/ATTACH]

Those are two great looking Redbones fellas.

Best of luck with them this season!
          Attached Files

Comment

Is there a good step by step, how to for dummies, program for starting a dog out?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post

Is there a good step by step, how to for dummies, program for starting a dog out?
              There is some great info on the thread already if you read through it.

I would imagine folks will add a lot more to the thread as time goes on as well.

This might help if you were looking for some reading material.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tracking Dogs Book.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	24313426

Good Luck to you and your dog Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                Here is Paul's site, and the tests he gives....

http://www.texasbloodtrackers.com/tr...sts/4582068609
                Thanks Tuco. I will check it out

Comment

This is my boy Harley. He's half redbone and half bluetick. He's the best dog I've ever had! When the tailgate drops he's in the truck ready to go! Thanks to T-Bone on TBH for letting me have him!

Comment

Took Kimber on a hide drag today. It was probably around 200 yards. Not a very long one but wanted to see how she would handle getting thrown into a loop. She did well.

Comment

Always liked the GSP!

Comment

Little update on REd my wife brought him out to work so I can keep him with me and start his training. He's grown a lot over the past couple of weeks just UP not OUT. He's got really big bones and looks to hopefully be a big dog

Hoyt21
                        Attached Files

Comment

What food do you use? What food have you had bad experience with? I always bought pedigree large breed for my dobys. Not sure I was totally happy with it but as much as they ate it was hard to feed them steak while i was eating ramen.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtymike View Post

what food do you use? What food have you had bad experience with? I always bought pedigree large breed for my dobys. Not sure i was totally happy with it but as much as they ate it was hard to feed them steak while i was eating ramen.
                            $29 for a 40# Bag

[ATTACH]631978[/ATTACH]

Check your local feed store.....

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
                              $29 for a 40# Bag

[ATTACH]631978[/ATTACH]

Check your local feed store.....
                              You got it TUCO!

Between me, my cousin and my buddy we probably have 50 dogs on Victor 24/20 red bag. We've been feeding working dogs for a long time and IMO this is the best feed for the money!

Comment

That is only a few bucks more than pedigree. I had issues with lots o poo! Was told its the fillers in the low mid grade food. Waking up to my old boy with squirts running around the room in the middle of the night trying to get out side still gives me nightmares

Comment

Working...
                                X