TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brack View Post
    I have a Beagle that is a year and a half. I have worked her on a number of artificial lines. Unfortunately, no actual animals yet. My artificial lines are aged about 6 hours and she does not have much trouble with them. So, I have some questions for the folks that have been training a while.

How much space do you normally put between each drip of blood? Do you base it on your dog's performance? if so, what is reasonable goal for spacing for your dog to achieve?

Do you use deer scent on the line (ie Hide tied to your feet as you walk) or just leave a piece of deer hide at the end of the line?

Thanks in advance.
    ^^^ Anybody???

Comment

This is my dog; she is a Bluetick Beagle.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brack View Post
        ^^^ Anybody???

I don't claim to know much just followed my book. When I do strait blood I start out with a lot and then dwindle as I go to try and Mimick a actual trail. I would say I get to where I have done trails where toward the middle and then end I do a drop of blood every 5 yds or so.

As of now I am doing exclusively deer hide that soaks in a little blood while frozen

Comment

I use word association as well! Idk who it helps get excited on the track more Bullet or me, but as he goes I'll say "Find the deer!" And he gets real excited from that and starts sniffing. He's a machine right now I've been blown away by his nose (my first tracking dog)...... but John Jeannenys book is legit! This is one of the most rewarding animal experiences I've ever had!

Comment

Whats supposed to be harder to find, the hide or blood?

Comment

TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

My 6 month old beagle Hank, he has done well on multiple mock trails. I can't wait to get him on some live action!

Last edited by chewjr; 06-25-2014, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chewjr View Post
                My 6 month old beagle Hank, he has done well on multiple mock trails. I can't wait to get him on some live action!

What a beautiful dog!

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                  Great thread. I've been trying some scent trails (no blood yet) and can't get my houla to focus. I swear it's like she has ADD. It's been a bear just trying to train her simple commands. She does fine when you have treats in hand, after that she won't even flinch when you call her name. Especially when she sees the cows. First hunting type dog for me so it's been as much of a learning experience for me as it has her. She's got a heck of a nose, just trying to figure out how to harness it. Will be following this closely.

Also interested in the blood differences. Not sure I have time to get to a locker, but the beef liver idea sounds do-able.
                  BLOOD is what you want her to trail, without blood you are training her to fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Ballcoach10 View Post
                    What a beautiful dog!

Thank ya I got him as a Christmas present. Best gift ever.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403752876.024529.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	24312797

We find some deer....

In my opinion the recent popularity of everyone owning their own tracking dog has made it hard for established dogs to get the tracks needed to further their experience and build confidence.

Most trackers don't charge NEAR what it cost to feed a dog for a year...

Comment

Who uses a lead rope versus turning the dog loose on a track? Do you use a tracking collar or cow bell if off a lead rope? I just started training mine on blood trail. I using a lead rope. I plan on putting a small cow bell on my dog and turning him loose on a live trail this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Who uses a lead rope versus turning the dog loose on a track? Do you use a tracking collar or cow bell if off a lead rope? I just started training mine on blood trail. I using a lead rope. I plan on putting a small cow bell on my dog and turning him loose on a live trail this fall.

I use a Garmin Astro tracking collar and a Tri-tronics Trashbreaker G-3 e-collar. They are expensive but worth the money to avoid the frustration of ending up hunting your tracking dog. I have Diesel whistle trained to come with two short blast. If he ignores me, I first tone him then as a last resort hit him with electricity. He don't like electricity.

Leads work well if you are young and can run and bust brush. This old geezer can't do that anymore.

Comment

I'm interested in a collar. I will look into the one you use. Thanks for the info. I'm getting to old for brush busting also

Comment

My tracker

With her first at 6 1/2 months old

Name:	# 1 shrunk.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	24312798

and her Last

Name:	# 7 9-29-2013.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	24312799

Mine was not much on mock trails until she was more than 5 months old and had her first real trail at 6 1/2 months.

I run mine on a lead due to county roads around our place. When she is ON she will try to track at a dead run. After the first couple of trails I took her off of a collar and went to a harness. She was pulling so hard she was choking herself. When I pull her harness out, she goes nuts.

Some of the best advice I can give is if you are on a lease, try to get every to agree to let the dog trail. On our lease if the deer does not drop right there, we get the dog. Even short trails are good for them

Also, Trust your dog. The odds are you can learn more from her than she can from you.

Comment

I'll post more later but here is my latest tracking dog. This will be Libby's second season. She did really well last year. She is a Jack Russel Terrorist by the way.
                                Rule #1 never spoil your dog.

Comment

Working...
                                X