Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the closest you have come to death?

I was surveying in the mountains of Utah back in 2007. Had some shell rock give away and lost my footing. I slid a good 50 feet down into a canyon. Had a 50lb gps backpack on my back. On my slide down I tore my dome cable up on my pack. Thats what communicated with the satelites. No way to tell where I was. I tried crawling back up several times and wasnt possible. I couldnt get nobody on a two way radio. They flew us in and dropped us off in the mornings and would pick us up in the afternoons. I mean litetaly in the middle of nowhere. There were prarrie rattlers, mountain lion, and bears on this job. I dang sure didnt want to be walking down that brushy winding canyon. I was easy prey. I finaly headed in the direction I felt best. The brushy trees were nearly impossible to crawl through with the bulky gps pack on my back. As im on my journey I notice something white underneath a rock overhang on the side of the canyon walls. As I ease up there I notice it was a recently killed antelope. Thats when my mind and addrenaline got the best of me. I got on the move super pronto!! I have never been spooked so bad in my life. I walked several miles before I came to a place to crawl back up to the top. Finaly got radio waves and called for help. It was a happy sound hearing the helicopter coming. I spent 7 hours trapped in that canyon. I watched my step extra careful after that. It was a miracle the fall didnt break my neck. The pilot said the weight of the gps pack on my back was the only think that saved me from rolling all the way down. Seing that freshly killed antelope scared me worse than the fall. I also hit a full grown angus bull running 70 mph in the fog. Totaled the truck and bull. I walked out without a scratch. Share your stories

I was working nights at a warehouse and was asleep one afternoon..It was in the middle of summer and had my bedroom door closed with a window unit going full blast..Something startled me and I listened real close and could here someone yelling "POLICE" several times..I get up still in my underwear and fling open the door and there 3 cops standing inside my front door, guns drawn and asking who the hell I was..I sat down on the couch half asleep trying to get my shorts on..Answered some questions and they were happy and off they went..Found out the next day they were after some kids that had stole some stuff around the corner and one of them bailed out by my house and just so happened I didn't lock my front door that day and they thought the guy had come into my house and thought I was him..Could have been bad if one of the cops would have had an itchy finger..

Comment

Being stupid, rolling 140/150mph on my hayabusa, on hwy35N towards Austin going to ROT rally. A car decides to switch lanes, I was coming to fast and not enough time to react. I Laid the bike down slid across three lanes of 35. And everyone knows how busy that high way is. Missed getting ran over several time and by several cars/trucks. Was missing some skin and had some embedded asphalt in my rear but made it
      Last edited by Twztid; 02-15-2012, 10:07 PM.

Comment

1. Decided at last minute not to cross street with my sisters in case there was a car behind the right turning 18 wheeler. Hidden SUV went by at about 70 MPH. Me and both my sisters wouldnt be here to tell this story having I decided it was ok to cross.

2. Wading at San-Luis pass one day and fell into a 12ft gut. Waders filled up with water and I was swept away under water. stripped out of them at last minute under water and swam to surface after gulping a lot of water.

Comment

Closest I ever came to dieing was February 3 rd of last year was sitting behind an 18 wheeler with .my .pregnant fiancee when another 18 wheeler hit us from behind running 50 miles per hour plus my fiancee lost our son she was carrying and almost died her self as for me I was banged up busted shoulder and busted up right one and very bad seat belt burns

Comment

Pulling trailer with three pallets of concrete outdoor tiles improperly placed to rear if trailer..
            Hit 50 mph on 45 and trailer started walking so far it was in both lanes to either side if me.. rear end if my truck was skidding side to side..hopping..
            Cars behind me running off the road to get from behind me..
            Let off the gas ..it settled down.. pulled off the road and hugged my wife and checked on my 2 yearold daughter in her car seat in the back seat.. she was giggling.
            Scared the life outta me.. shook for a couple hours after that..
            Drove ten miles an hour the rest of the way home.

Comment

Truck came across the median on I35 and we hit going 70.First doctor to see me told me later he gave me no chance to live.12 surgeries and 4 months of rehab I got lucky and made it.

Comment

16 years old duck hunting a lake on the ranch I worked at with a buddy of mine. Bryant had a new puppy he was working. Well we had several ducks laying in the water that the dog wouldn't go get. So Bryant hands me his shotgun and walks out to get the ducks. We both had chest waders on. For some reason he needed help, so I head out to him, carrying both shotguns. About half way to Bryant, I hit a creek bed and sank. Being 16 with my brand new 870 and Bryants shotgun, the first thing on my mind was to not let go of the guns. I could literally see the light at the surface of the water, but could not get there. I finally dropped the guns and made enough of a splash that Bryant relized that I was in trouble and came and got me. On top of it all it was below freezing. So soaking wet, scared out of my mind. We got in my truck and warmed up. And yes , went right back and got the guns. Remember we were 16-17, those guns were our life.
                I can still close my eyes and see daylight at the surface of the water.

Brian

Comment

Wow, ghostwalker. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Mine's another motorcycle story. Been knocked off three times - two drunk drivers and a new driver. However, the miracle story for me was riding the winding, narrow, country roads in England on my Kawa Z750, and hitting a sharp turn too fast. I crossed into the other lane inches away from a truck coming the other way.

The truck driver and I stopped and looked back at each other in disbelief that a fatality didn't just happen. Only by the grace of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Twztid View Post
                    Being stupid, rolling 140/150mph on my hayabusa, on hwy35N towards Austin going to ROT rally. A car decides to switch lanes, I was coming to fast and not enough time to react. I Laid the bike down slid across three lanes of 35. And everyone knows how busy that high way is. Missed getting ran over several time and by several cars/trucks. Was missing some skin and had some embedded asphalt in my rear but made it
                    Laid a 750 Suzuki Katana over running sixty and walked out. I pulled gravel out of my body for along time. Had a lady run a yield sign on a service road off I-30. Havent been on one since.

Comment

Two years ago we were standing up a 20 foot tall tower blind. The cable snapped when it was 3/4 up. It came down too fast to react. The corner of the blind hit me in the chest and knocked me off the trailer on to the ground. It missed my head by about 1 inch. It actually scratched my cheek on the way down. Other than a huge bruise I was ok. It made me sick to my stomach for weeks when I would think of it. Needless to say I do not help tilt tower blinds anymore.

Comment

Got hung up in a 110 current when I was 19 changing out a water pump fuse at my cousin's cotton gin. I was standing on a PVC pipe and had that not broke and my body pulled me out of it, I am not so sure I would be here right now.

Comment

Ran out of a burning out a couple years ago.... 5 minutes later and I would have been jumpin out the 2nd story....

In 2007 while working on a fence at a ranch, took a break and went walking around! For some reason I stopped and between my legs was a rattler! I was wearing shorts and tennis shoes! I jumped about as high as he did..

Comment

At the age of 12 my appendix ruptured(didn't know this at the time). My dad kept thinking it was a bad stomach ache. Finally decided to take to the dr. They rushed me into surgery. It took 3 weeks to get up and walking. Gan green had just about eat me up from the inside out. Dr said if they had waited a few more hours they would have been putting me in the ground. Thank god it wasn't in his plans for me to go that day.

Comment

Rolled my truck end-over-end going about 65-70. Came completely out of my seatbelt, which saved my life. My anvil came through the back glass, right through my headrest and through the top of the steering wheel, plowing a ditch through the hood after busting through windshield. When the truck stopped it was upside down and I was stuck in passenger's side floorboard. All I got was a broken nose.

Comment

Working...
                              X