Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cy100 View Post

Btw, I have a question regarding the set up by brush or natural trees. Normally, if people do not leave their tag on them, does 300' rule still apply?
    That's a tough one. COE will probably tell you yes, the rule still applies. Why would anyone want to be within 300' of another hunter anyway? That's just begging for problems.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter2009 View Post
      That's a tough one. COE will probably tell you yes, the rule still applies. Why would anyone want to be within 300' of another hunter anyway? That's just begging for problems.
      We were asked to put our permit number on the feeder and stand. So, if a brush blind does not have that on, do I still assume it is a valid setup? If it is not a valid setup, then why 300' rule is still applied. If it is a valid setup, then a hunter can potentally set up multiple blinds in the field without be tagged.

Comment

dont gps coordinates take care of this problem? good rule of thumb, just find another area, plenty of deer for us all...i suggest calling olen or whoever answers the phone and asking this question if it continues to cause concern for you.

Comment

Those brush blinds do not like the commercial stand and feeder, sometimes, they are hard to find or indentify. Sometimes, they look like old and cannot tell whether a new setup or left over from past seasons, esp, when there is no permit tag on it. Just don't want to set up a stand/feeder, then a guy comes by later and claim the territory to you.
          This is not an issue for me, even I usually find brush blinds here or there. I am caution to pick the spot and usually choose the spot away from crowd. But it is a question of mine for a long time, especially we have more restricted rules this year. Just want to clarify it. Hope the gps rule this year can solve this kind of confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
            We were asked to put our permit number on the feeder and stand. So, if a brush blind does not have that on, do I still assume it is a valid setup? If it is not a valid setup, then why 300' rule is still applied. If it is a valid setup, then a hunter can potentally set up multiple blinds in the field without be tagged.
            I know from experience that in the past few years a few hunters broke the rules and set up multiple stands. I saw 4 stands with the same name on them two years ago! It probably happens every year. If everybody follows the rules, nobody should have a problem and there's room for everybody. If people start setting up multiple stands, some areas may get crowded and problems may arise. If too many issues surface and COE has to spend time working them out, then the whole hunting program is in danger of shutting down. There was rumor of that last year. If we all set up one tagged stand and feeder, brush blind or commercially built, and follow all the rules, we might have a place to hunt next year.

Comment

I heard there was a chance at a redraw since alot of people didn't make the meeting has anyone heard if there actually is one?

Comment

Originally posted by jrwest66 View Post
                I heard there was a chance at a redraw since alot of people didn't make the meeting has anyone heard if there actually is one?
                I was wondering also.

A couple of us were talking about this the other day. I didn't count, but it seemed like only 25 people were in the afternoon meeting and someone said that they didn't think that there was that many at the makeup meeting. That would be maybe 50, so there would have to have been a lot at the first (AM) meeting.

Comment

Just about the same amount at the morning meeting

Comment

Originally posted by deerslay3r View Post
                    Just about the same amount at the morning meeting
                    Looks like there may be 30-40 left over. I know there are a lot that didn't get drawn that are hoping for a redraw.

Comment

Call me selfish!!

Originally posted by 05 gray ghost View Post
                      Looks like there may be 30-40 left over. I know there are a lot that didn't get drawn that are hoping for a redraw.
                      I hope there is not a re-draw!! Seems like there are already too many feeders setup in the areas that are hunt-able. If they do a re-draw then they will need to open up unit 14 and 15a-d or their is going to be problems. Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by swampdonkey View Post
                        I hope there is not a re-draw!! Seems like there are already too many feeders setup in the areas that are hunt-able. If they do a re-draw then they will need to open up unit 14 and 15a-d or their is going to be problems. Just saying...
                        There's plenty of room. In the past there were 125 permits issued, and nobody could set up in areas 14, 15a, 15b, 15c, 15d, or 15e. Opening 14-15d would not benefit much, there's much better hunting in other areas....and still enough room for everyone.

Comment

theres room.....you just have t get out there and make the trek.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdonkey View Post
                            Every area looks crowded now but wait until late Nov or December and you will not see many people out there.

Also keep in mind the lake is super low so no one is dumb enough (besides me LOL) to set up by boat. That means more people are trying the walk in thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              Every area looks crowded now but wait until late Nov or December and you will not see many people out there.

Also keep in mind the lake is super low so no one is dumb enough (besides me LOL) to set up by boat. That means more people are trying the walk in thing.
                              I was gonna go in by boat, just not sure how long the ramps will be open. The shallow water doesn't bother me, my boat runs real shallow. It's all the stumps that I'm afraid of! There's a bunch of em where I hunted last year, some just below the surface.

Comment

For those that have hunted that area regularly, have you noticed how many ducks show up come winter?

Comment

Working...
                                X