THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
    Any time. Hope it works out for ya. I'll be hunting out there again starting this weekend.
    Cool, see you out there!

Comment

Went scout that area we talked about. Didn't make it all the way back, burried my truck after the section of loose rocks, like an idiot I followed the water around. Good news is I saw a ton of tracks! Gonna drive my wifes truck to the rocks in the morning and walk the rest. I'll hunt the morning then go dig my self out after the hunt. When does the rut start around here because I heard a nice grunt after I got stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by RussLandry View Post
        Went scout that area we talked about. Didn't make it all the way back, burried my truck after the section of loose rocks, like an idiot I followed the water around. Good news is I saw a ton of tracks! Gonna drive my wifes truck to the rocks in the morning and walk the rest. I'll hunt the morning then go dig my self out after the hunt. When does the rut start around here because I heard a nice grunt after I got stuck.
        USUALLY AROUND Thanksgiving dependent on the temps but I have witnessed bucks getting pretty "frustrated" tearing up tree limbs and raking the stumps real good. There has been a huge increase in rubs the past week, so we're getting the about on schedule. Just hope for a turn in the temps in the next week. Its usually cooler than this by now.

I figured that area back along river would be good these days. Its a chore getting back in there but there a few feeders at the little ranch estates that draw them to that area as well as the Agriculture fields close by there.
        Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 11-07-2009, 03:02 AM.

Comment

USUALLY AROUND Thanksgiving dependent on the temps but I have witnessed bucks getting pretty "frustrated" tearing up tree limbs and raking the stumps real good. There has been a huge increase in rubs the past week, so we're getting the about on schedule. Just hope for a turn in the temps in the next week. Its usually cooler than this by now.

I figured that area back along river would be good these days. Its a chore getting back in there but there a few feeders at the little ranch estates that draw them to that area as well as the Agriculture fields close by there.
          Hunted there this morning, still hunted till about 9, never seen anything, then stalked till about 12. Nothing, dang full moon. I knew I was in trouble when I left this morning at 4, and there were 3 eating in the yard next to mine.

Finally got my truck out of the mud, guy from west texas off road was an awesome guy, and yanked me out!

Good luck guys!

Comment

Rut has definitely started around our area guys. Ive been hunting Lake Ivie and watched several bucks with their noses to the dirt tracking the does and chasing hard around the feeders. Their not intested in the corn at all.

Ive gotten the same reports for around the Grape Creek area not far from the state park and Twin Buttes. Start using the estrus scents and rattling during the afternoon lulls.

Every time ive hung some estrus scent wicks Ive had bucks come lookin within an hour, add some fawn bleats in there just after ya hang them for good measure. This has worked for me 3 times this week already

Comment

Just got word from someone that hunts unit 4 that they rattled in a buck this week. Sounds like a plan since Ive not had very good luck using calls out there.

Comment

Just got word from someone that hunts unit 4 that they rattled in a buck this week. Sounds like a plan since Ive not had very good luck using calls out there.
                Cool, thanks bro. I'll try that next weekend, I'm going hunt up around Winters this weekend. I'll probably hunt a good bit next week around the holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by RussLandry View Post
                  Cool, thanks bro. I'll try that next weekend, I'm going hunt up around Winters this weekend. I'll probably hunt a good bit next week around the holiday.
                  You should have a good time around Winters. Ive been hunting just South of there in Lake Ivie. Theyve been chasing hard for awhile now and I already have 3 deer down including an 8 point cull buck and Ive had a huge 150+ buck come in 2x in my last hunts.

Comment

rAN INTO A GUY YESTERDAY THAT SAID HE AND ANOTHER GUY both SHOT 8 POINTS out in the south of the lake area. So close to each other and didnt know it that they almost shot each other, so be safe! watch for other hunters. Wear orange (on walk in and out) even tho it isnt required, especially on weekends. Ya probably should get used to it because they are probably going to adopt the state park regs at TBR next season.

Comment

Whats up guys,
                      Just joined on here. I am from Beaumont and are in san Angelo working for a couple more weeks and looking for a goos spot to hunt around the res. I am staying in Spring Creek rv park just behind the dam. All these deer around the park have gotten me fired up to hunt. I would really appreciate any advise on a good spot to hunt for a couple weeks. Thanks

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by krisc92 View Post
                        whats up guys,
                        just joined on here. I am from beaumont and are in san angelo working for a couple more weeks and looking for a goos spot to hunt around the res. I am staying in spring creek rv park just behind the dam. All these deer around the park have gotten me fired up to hunt. I would really appreciate any advise on a good spot to hunt for a couple weeks. Thanks

kris
                        kris

check pm i sent ya my number

Comment

2 TBHers got'em deer at TBR this weekend. a doe and a wide lil 7 point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafernick View Post
                            Didn't know about the high fence but I knew it was coming sooner or later.

Yes I meant unit IV I just forgot the roman numberal.

I will also let on a little secret of mine that I started hunting hard after sighting a 130 class coming over the dam every morning and afternoon.
                            There is a stretch of land that is on the Buttes side of the dam that ranges from 100 yards wide then narrows down as it runs into the south pool. When I asked the game warden if this place was legal to hunt he said no. I am not sure if he knew exactly where I was talking about but he probably did. I am guessing there is an easement of some sort aquirred during construction and you are not allowed to hunt it. Atleast this was my understanding.

Anyway, during constructin they dumped gravel over the the big rocks so the deer would have a quick access to the water. The EQ is only about waste deep in some areas and you can wade across and get to this piece of land.

You don't have to set foot on the land just below the dam. Depending on the level of the lake there should be about 30 yards of dry, flooded (at times) timber, thick with some clearings and is heavily traveled by deer on their way to water. A little bit of hand corn will stop them just long enough for a shot. I killed two doe this way. I had the buck I was hunting within 10 yards looking at me head on so I never got a chance to draw. The best thing to do is use a boat because from experience it a chore to float a deer across the EQ and then drag it to your truck.
                            I was Hafernick's running buddy most of the time out at "the Buttes". He was with me the day we discovered Unit 1. I remember the day like it was yesterday. We got stuck near the back and Hafernick had to be back at tract practice in an hour or less.
                            Good times for sure out there.

The ranch that borders Unit 1 was sold a few years ago while I was still out there. Its about 2000 acres and has quite a bit of frontage on 277 on the way to Christoval. I'd like to get back up there to see the big hunting lodge you speak of. We rattled a few bucks off that place but nothing to get a shot on and worth jumping the fence for.

I'd like to find a painting of the Buttes to hang in my office so I can be reminded of the memories everyday! Best time of my life was spent in Angelo with Hafernick and ASU buddies.

Comment

Another interesting fact was back in 03-04 we could cross Spring Creek in a truck very near the main lake body, which is now 6 feet deep in water. We had a January of heavy rains back in, I believe, 2005 and the lake rose to a level that was substantially higher than before...5-6 feet probably. Of course, you can still cross Spring Creek up near the ****. But Spring Creek back in those days was truly a special place and had several more miles of "creek character" to it with riffles, runs and plunge pools. One of the coolest spots is about 1/2 mile below the **** at the plunge pool. Lots of fish in there and beautiful. The crossing I speak of was another mile or so downstream and just above another wide ledge which created a water fall. I wish I had taken more pictures back then.
                              SanAngeloBowman...it'd be fun for Hafernick and I to come up there and spend a day with you at the Buttes. We could cover alot of ground out there and share some of our experiences. Perhaps this spring or summer when the fishing gets good!

Comment

I hunted there as a kid growing up in SanAngelo, and we saw so many biggg bucks over the years and took our share also.

Comment

Working...
                                X