CO tags changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave_ View Post
    I second what WItoTX said. You can go on federal lands and do just about anything else. You can camp, fish, small game hunt, pan for gold, pick shrooms, take a dump, get firewood, guide hunts.

There is just too much demand for everyone to get big game permits. States hold wildlife in public trust and manage as they see fit for the residents of the state. In most cases that's opportunity for residents and basic supply/demand or pay to play for NR. Your basic TX resident license is like $25 and you can shoot like 6-7 big game animals + turkey if you want. TX NR is like $315. We do it too and have a fraction of the public.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    no we dont.

Texas has no preference in resident status for draw tags or OTC public hunting opportunity. There are no NR caps for anything. There are no upfront license fees for ANY draw. There are no Non resident excluded tag opportunities.

Texas is about the fairest state in the union to NR.

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
      They do it down here every year regardless of snow levels. I'm not sure about other parts of the state
      they do it across the state, they arent all closed, big chunk are just closed to wheel’ed vehicles, but open to snow mobiling.

They essentially do it for a couple reason, keep from tearing trails up and causing erosion and safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
        no we dont.

Texas has no preference in resident status for draw tags or OTC public hunting opportunity. There are no NR caps for anything. There are no upfront license fees for ANY draw. There are no Non resident excluded tag opportunities.

Texas is about the fairest state in the union to NR.
        I'm just talking about price difference. We're ~97 private. Lots of states NR can still buy an otc private land or landowner voucher with out drawing. Texas draw hunts a are joke for the most part and extremely limited availability compared to most western states. The federal refuge hunts are probably some of the best. They all have an orientation you have to go to, a bunch are in parks where they just tell you where to sit or park. And you still have a better shot at drawing a top tier NM elk or deer tag than most of the TX draw hunts. I'll prob draw a mountain goat tag in CO before I draw a public mule deer or pronghorn tag in TX.

Comment

But agreed we are very generous. But we also have ample wildlife resoures with a very healthy whitetail population and tons of exotics. Very different than migratory elk or mule deer that face more population challenges

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
            You are paying federal taxes to manage federal lands. The animals on those lands belong to the state. The tag you buy comes from the state. Also, you have to buy a small game license to get an elk tag (or deer, etc...), which means you can go hunt any time you want during small game season.
            Most western diy hunts are glorified camping trips that never harass, much less kill, a state owned animal. Maybe don't charge us that huge amount for taking a state resource unless we actually do.

Yes, I know that would never happen

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
              Most western diy hunts are glorified camping trips that never harass, much less kill, a state owned animal. Maybe don't charge us that huge amount for taking a state resource unless we actually do.

Yes, I know that would never happen
              I've made a similar argument before. NR's should get a bulk of the tags. A) we pay more, B) we don't live there, so chances of us scouting and finding elk pre- season are basically 0, C) "we" collectively pay for hotels, restaurants, fuel, snacks, the local hardware store where we buy all the stuff we forgot to pack because we left in a hurry on our 18 hour drive, and D) with our lower likelihood of getting an animal, populations of elk would soar and there is less wear and tear on FS roads/parks. Us NR's are usually hunting 1, maybe 2 weeks of a year, where as residents are hunting every weekend until something is on the ground, if not multiple weeks.

Residents should thank us and be willing to give half their tags to us.

Comment

Since I'm gonna be an Arizonan soon I want to say I support your position 100%...for Colorado.

Arizona, not so much...

Comment

Am I the only one who missed the elk app deadline by about an hour?

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                    Am I the only one who missed the elk app deadline by about an hour?
                    I missed changing my third option to PP by 30 min. I now i have to turn back draw tag for an OTC tag. Oh well

Comment

I completely forgot about it. I still have a enough points to draw in 24 so no big issue but I did want another deer point.

Comment

Is it just me or does 8pm seem like an arbitrary cutoff? Oh well. I have friends who didn't drop the ball and will probably go in September. If they get to go, can they use trail cams for scouting in August? Not sure what the laws are now.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                          Since I'm gonna be an Arizonan soon I want to say I support your position 100%...for Colorado.

Arizona, not so much...
                          We just got back from there. I don't think I could live there, but a very cool place to visit. It was the first time I've seen wild burro's, but dang the hikers and pedal bikers! So many of them, and it annoys the hell out of me knowing not one of them pays a single tax towards maintenance of those trails they are hiking.

But I digress. Hunters just keep carrying the weight.

Comment

You must of been further north where the granola crunchers hang out. We plan to be south, closer to the border and will do reconnaissance missions up north. Possibly a targeted raid or two.

I decided my old bones can handle the hot summers and somewhat cold winters south of Tucson.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                              granola crunchers
                              This made me lol

Comment

I am one of the ones who missed the app. Pretty mad at myself- I put a reminder on my phone for Wedensday instead of tuesday... Was planning to go OTC either way, but I wanted my dang PP!

Comment

Working...
                                X