• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running behind this year !
    Hoping to get going real soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      Looks like I am behind again this year. My plan for this year was to start my garden from seeds to try to beat the early heat. I was hoping to have established plants prior to the serious Texas heat.

Question for those of you that started your seedlings, do you need to keep them at a certain temp for germination to occur?? I am planning to start seeds in the garage but held back because I figured with these recent cold snaps I would not be successful.
      I start my seeds in front of a kitchen window that faces south-west for afternoon sun. Fold a paper towel in half, put the seeds in the crease, put on a plate and keep them wet. Transplant into solo cups with potting soil once you see roots growing. Don't plant them too deep.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        Where are you looking for a bigger one? I'd like one a little bigger than 6'x8' but not much bigger. Just no idea where to even look to buy.

What I really need is one that goes against my house somehow so the one side is house wall. I though about trying to build it myself but I'd have it all jacked up or go overboard LOL
        I see some for sell on the side of the road at places that sell those carports. They don't look too bad but I have not stopped and looked up close.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Where are you looking for a bigger one? I'd like one a little bigger than 6'x8' but not much bigger. Just no idea where to even look to buy.

What I really need is one that goes against my house somehow so the one side is house wall. I though about trying to build it myself but I'd have it all jacked up or go overboard LOL

There are a bunch on Amazon and even some "lean-to" style that might be what you're looking for.

HF also has a larger one. My brother has it and it's a pretty nice kit.
          Now that we have moved most of the grow bags we had in ours, there is a little more room inside it, but dang I hate constantly bumping my head on the wet ceiling panels...

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
            I'm planning on moving my garden this year. I have some asparagus that is well established, can I transplant them? How much of a root system do they have?
            You can transplant the asparagus. Now is a good time. The roots run to China

Comment

Looks like I am behind again this year. My plan for this year was to start my garden from seeds to try to beat the early heat. I was hoping to have established plants prior to the serious Texas heat.

Question for those of you that started your seedlings, do you need to keep them at a certain temp for germination to occur?? I am planning to start seeds in the garage but held back because I figured with these recent cold snaps I would not be successful.
              I start some in the house every year so the temp is constant and upper 60's. My brother starts the bulk of ours in a greenhouse. Peppers like it warmer(above 80). They will still germinate with temps below that but it takes a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                As per requests the new 2023 gardening thread is started.
                Post up your pictures and tips and get that wholesome food going.

I’ve been lazy with all of the cold weather up here so I haven’t gotten my tail in gear yet. I gathered up tubs and bags for taters and drilled holes in the tubs yesterday. I’ll start preparing my raised beds this week and bring in some dirt for the tater tubs.
                Would you mind posting a pic of your tubs that you plant potatoes in ? I’m trying to figure out how you get potatoes out and it ain’t coming through. Thanks !

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Well gang, we are off to a wet start. That rain we got about 2 weeks back sure set us back with our in-ground plots.

[ATTACH]1119603[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1119604[/ATTACH]

We started seeds about 4 weeks back, we started seeds for early season veggies such as lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and a few beets.
                  Doing it a bit different this year. I put up a small greenhouse (and that was my first mistake!! -- SMALL!!) instead of starting plants in a grow room under lights, we are going to try to do them in the greenhouse... first stab at it has been pretty good. I have a small heater in it so was able to protect the small plants from freezing over the last few weeks.
                  [ATTACH]1119605[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1119606[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1119607[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1119608[/ATTACH]
                  Yesterday we put our first bags out in the bag garden. We have various varieties of cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, and broccoli. Beets will go out next week.
                  [ATTACH]1119609[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1119610[/ATTACH]

Our blackberries are beginning to come out of dormancy with new growth... It is an exciting time of year for gardening! Let's git-er-dun!
                  [ATTACH]1119611[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1119612[/ATTACH]

Tomorrow, we will start our maters, peppers, egg plants, okra and a few other things in trays over the next several days. Gonna put 'em on heated grow mats in the greenhouse and put 'em in overdrive.

I will do my best to keep the thread updated as we progress...

One thing I am pondering now is a solution to my "crow" problem with my corn... They totally ruined the plot for us last season. My wife would sit next to the plot inside a Krivoman blind with my 20 ga. Benelli. I had cell cameras out, tried all kinds of things... They landed on my scarecrow...

Anyone been able to solve this problem where you live? I am contemplating netting the whole plot when I plant and removing the netting after the corn gets up big enough to need hilling and thinning. The crows won't mess with it after it gets big enough there is no kernel on the little seedlings for them to pluck out of the ground...

Good luck everyone this year!
                  Have the same greenhouse. I'm sure you already figured this out, but be very careful making sure to open that thing up early in the morn. Even in cool Temps, it can cook off to over 120 degrees in no time if left closed. Even when open, it can get hot quick

Comment

We have 700 tomato plants and around 500 pepper plants started in the grow room now. Tomatoes started 1/15. Pepper plants just about 10 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                      we have 700 tomato plants and around 500 pepper plants started in the grow room now. Tomatoes started 1/15. Pepper plants just about 10 days ago.
                      wow!

Comment

Already harvesting the leaf lettuce and a few leaves of spinach.
                        Artichokes have sprouted.
                        Next weekend planting the tomato seeds and pepper seeds...

Comment

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
                          wow!
                          We will sell majority of the plants at farmers market but we do plant alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            Would you mind posting a pic of your tubs that you plant potatoes in ? I’m trying to figure out how you get potatoes out and it ain’t coming through. Thanks !

Don’t mind at all sir.
                            They’re just empty mineral tubs that we put out for livestock. We generally use them for watering when the minerals are gone but I’ve got six who’s bottoms have cracked so I drilled holes in them and decided to try them out for potato’s. I wanted to use Charlie’s idea of using grow bags from last year but got to noticing all these empty tubs that were stacking up and
                            thought I’d try them instead. When it comes time to harvest I’ll just dump them out onto a tarp, pick out the taters and just dump the dirt back in the tub from the tarp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BertramBass View Post
                              I start my seeds in front of a kitchen window that faces south-west for afternoon sun. Fold a paper towel in half, put the seeds in the crease, put on a plate and keep them wet. Transplant into solo cups with potting soil once you see roots growing. Don't plant them too deep.
                              Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              I start some in the house every year so the temp is constant and upper 60's. My brother starts the bulk of ours in a greenhouse. Peppers like it warmer(above 80). They will still germinate with temps below that but it takes a little longer.
                              Thanks for the info fellas! Will be trying to get some seeds soon. Will hopefully report on my success soon.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas! Will be trying to get some seeds soon. Will hopefully report on my success soon.
                                I also use a south facing window and a grow light initially.

Comment

Working...
                                X