2023 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2023 Gardening Thread

As per requests the new 2023 gardening thread is started.
    Post up your pictures and tips and get that wholesome food going.

I’ve been lazy with all of the cold weather up here so I haven’t gotten my tail in gear yet. I gathered up tubs and bags for taters and drilled holes in the tubs yesterday. I’ll start preparing my raised beds this week and bring in some dirt for the tater tubs.

My onions are doing great. Got a couple head of cabbage thats ready to be picked as well a plenty of mustard greens.

Going to start some tomatoes indoors this weekend with inspiration from Saltwater Slicks ...slick setup.

Comment

I got onions in the ground Friday. Started some tomato seeds Saturday in a new seed starter box I got off amazon. This will be my first time growing tomatoes from seed, so I am excited to see how it turns out.

Comment

Planted Tomatoes this past weekend in a raised bed of vegetable soil and mushroom compost tilled in. Going to plant more in a couple weeks to get a good, consistent production through most of the summer.

I have some 45-gallon containers that held trees that will be used for some squash, cubes and eggplant. May have to try some taters too.

Comment

Planted seeds 8 days ago and Bam! Some are already 3" plants.

Last year my soil was too hot as it was 70% cow poop, 10% chicken poop, 20% dirt LOL But now it appears to be good.

Comment

Well gang, we are off to a wet start. That rain we got about 2 weeks back sure set us back with our in-ground plots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	69628562753__1154D967-C3AB-4DEF-BA83-C8F8604A0C60.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	24705932

Name:	69628666106__50620AEE-4215-4260-AEB0-0A5A3D09B91B.JPG
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	24705933

We started seeds about 4 weeks back, we started seeds for early season veggies such as lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and a few beets.
            Doing it a bit different this year. I put up a small greenhouse (and that was my first mistake!! -- SMALL!!) instead of starting plants in a grow room under lights, we are going to try to do them in the greenhouse... first stab at it has been pretty good. I have a small heater in it so was able to protect the small plants from freezing over the last few weeks.

Name:	IMG_3139.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	24705934

Name:	IMG_3140.JPG
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	24705935

Name:	IMG_3144.JPG
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	24705936

Name:	IMG_3430.JPG
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	24705937
            Yesterday we put our first bags out in the bag garden. We have various varieties of cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, and broccoli. Beets will go out next week.

Name:	IMG_3555.JPG
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	24705938

Name:	IMG_3558.JPG
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	24705939

Our blackberries are beginning to come out of dormancy with new growth... It is an exciting time of year for gardening! Let's git-er-dun!

Name:	IMG_3559.JPG
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	24705940

Name:	IMG_3560.JPG
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	24705941

Tomorrow, we will start our maters, peppers, egg plants, okra and a few other things in trays over the next several days. Gonna put 'em on heated grow mats in the greenhouse and put 'em in overdrive.

I will do my best to keep the thread updated as we progress...

One thing I am pondering now is a solution to my "crow" problem with my corn... They totally ruined the plot for us last season. My wife would sit next to the plot inside a Krivoman blind with my 20 ga. Benelli. I had cell cameras out, tried all kinds of things... They landed on my scarecrow...

Anyone been able to solve this problem where you live? I am contemplating netting the whole plot when I plant and removing the netting after the corn gets up big enough to need hilling and thinning. The crows won't mess with it after it gets big enough there is no kernel on the little seedlings for them to pluck out of the ground...

Good luck everyone this year!

Comment

I think I got a little ambitious and started a tray of seeds (mostly tomatoes and peppers,)on Jan 21. I followed up with a couple of more trays (basil, rosemary, dill, cilantro, chard, kale, spinach) several days later, followed by another planting of new tomato and chile varieties I ordered from Baker Creek about a week later.

I’ve gotten really good germination, but I’m starting to get behind on up-potting them. They’ve been under grow lights during the cold snaps, but I moved them outside this morning to soak up a little natural sunlight.

Im trying to decide how many of the starts I should up-pot or plant, and how many I should cull.

I got off to a pretty good start last spring, but we were bringing them in and out depending on weather, and they all got left outside while I was out of town with a late frost and we lost most of them. I replanted but never really recovered.

We’re still not very good gardeners, but we’re trying to learn as we grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

Where'd you get that greenhouse Slick? I need one about like that.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  Where'd you get that greenhouse Slick? I need one about like that.

Don't judge me Tim, but.... I actually bought it at Harbor Freight back in 2015 when we bought the farm... This past November, my wife said, "You know what I'd really like for my birthday is to get my greenhouse put together!!" Yes! It's been in the barn since the day I brought it home!!
                  It's actually a pretty nice little kit. Instructions were a bit hard to understand what bein' Chinee translated into poor English and all, but we got it all put together...

Pro Tip: IF you choose to buy a greenhouse kit (any kit of any size) before you even attempt to start assembly FIRST make sure the spot you plan to put it up is FLAT AND LEVEL!! If you get it flat and level, lay out the bottom frame, it all goes together pretty nicely because everything is die cut and very precise... If not and your plot is not level, you'll be fighting all the thousands (seems like) of pieces to fit together correctly.
                  This one is only 6' X 8' and I can only stand up straight right in the middle, but all in all, it's a pretty nice little set up.
                  Before next Spring, I WILL have a bigger (and taller) greenhouse!

Comment

We're planning to expand this year. I got out week before last week and started dirt work to level things out a bit. Only cut muddy ruts with the tractor tires. Got more rain last week, more predicted for the next two days and some next week. May have to plant rice this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                      We're planning to expand this year. I got out week before last week and started dirt work to level things out a bit. Only cut muddy ruts with the tractor tires. Got more rain last week, more predicted for the next two days and some next week. May have to plant rice this year.

Crawfish farm came to mind for us a couple years ago... This year is starting much the same way... 2 years ago, I actually had water pumps pumping water OUT of my garden spots!! Most fun I had all year was walking around the garden at night with a flashlight shooting crawfish with my bb gun!

Comment

Looks like I am behind again this year. My plan for this year was to start my garden from seeds to try to beat the early heat. I was hoping to have established plants prior to the serious Texas heat.

Question for those of you that started your seedlings, do you need to keep them at a certain temp for germination to occur?? I am planning to start seeds in the garage but held back because I figured with these recent cold snaps I would not be successful.

Comment

I'm behind, haven't even decided what to plant this year. With 2 and 5yo girls the request is to have butterflies and bees in the yard. Thinking some tomatoes and peppers, would love to get some corn going but not sure I have enough space to make it worth it in the small raised bed we have. Working with a 4'x8' area

Comment

I'm planning on moving my garden this year. I have some asparagus that is well established, can I transplant them? How much of a root system do they have?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              Don't judge me Tim, but.... I actually bought it at Harbor Freight back in 2015 when we bought the farm... This past November, my wife said, "You know what I'd really like for my birthday is to get my greenhouse put together!!" Yes! It's been in the barn since the day I brought it home!!
                              It's actually a pretty nice little kit. Instructions were a bit hard to understand what bein' Chinee translated into poor English and all, but we got it all put together...

Pro Tip: IF you choose to buy a greenhouse kit (any kit of any size) before you even attempt to start assembly FIRST make sure the spot you plan to put it up is FLAT AND LEVEL!! If you get it flat and level, lay out the bottom frame, it all goes together pretty nicely because everything is die cut and very precise... If not and your plot is not level, you'll be fighting all the thousands (seems like) of pieces to fit together correctly.
                              This one is only 6' X 8' and I can only stand up straight right in the middle, but all in all, it's a pretty nice little set up.
                              Before next Spring, I WILL have a bigger (and taller) greenhouse!
                              Where are you looking for a bigger one? I'd like one a little bigger than 6'x8' but not much bigger. Just no idea where to even look to buy.

What I really need is one that goes against my house somehow so the one side is house wall. I though about trying to build it myself but I'd have it all jacked up or go overboard LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X