Thoughts on this buck’s regression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this buck’s regression

The first picture is from last year. I looked for this buck but never could find him. When he showed back up I noticed his left side is a fair amount smaller than last year. Is it most likely due to the drought or the wound on on his right haunch? In the face on picture his left side tines look blunted at the tips. Could it be damage while in velvet? Thanks for your thoughts.
    Attached Files

My guess is only as good as the next guys (probably worse honestly lol), but my thought would be due to the drought. I remember reading a report from TPWD not too long ago that said to expect below average antler growth/status this year due to the weather conditions we had earlier this year.

Comment

Either bad genes or that big scar on his rump………if in fact that is a big scar on his rump in the last pic

Comment

I would also think drought or just old going down hill.

Comment

brokeno, I had wondered that too. Maybe just passed his prime.

I shot at him on opening morning but my arrow hit a limb and I missed high way over his back.

Comment

Old deer.

Comment

He also didn’t scrape off all of his velvet. Don’t know if that speaks to anything.

Comment

I am going with injury to right ham and poor range conditions (drought)

Comment

If it is the wound and it heals will it still affect his antlers? I’m wondering if I should give home a pass until next year.

Comment

Not every buck will grow into a 150+ plus if you let ‘em go another year. He’s maxed his genetic potential.

Comment

He suffered a severe injury to the back of his right hind quarter it appears.
                      The opposite side antler growth was affected.. It's a normal reaction to an injury.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                        If it is the wound and it heals will it still affect his antlers? I’m wondering if I should give home a pass until next year.
                        Yes

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                          Not every buck will grow into a 150+ plus if you let ‘em go another year. He’s maxed his genetic potential.
                          Agreed. If he’s mature, I d shoot him now. If he’s is less than 5/6, I d shoot a doe instead.

BP

Comment

I’m not asking why he isn’t bigger, if he were the same I’d be fine with that. I’m asking why he is smaller.
                            Last edited by TXbowman; 10-03-2022, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                              I’m not asking why he isn’t bigger. I’m asking why he is smaller.
                              Because he's able to process less and less nutrition to grow his antlers as he ages. He's using everything he's eating to maintain his body. Antler growth is secondary at this point in his advanced age. Then on top of that you add an injury and drought. That's the recipe for a smaller rack.

Think of it like the human life cycle. Your body begins to process food sources more and more inefficiently as you age. Therefore, things are affected by that like muscle mass for instance.
                              Last edited by SB09; 10-03-2022, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X