Fawn Recruitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natives are 100%
    HF is under 10% - I’m attributing this to a since-solved yote problem.

Comment

I have fawns everywhere. Don't know the ratio.
      The rain came in the nick of time.

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
        We have 8 yard does that come up everyday. I watched them all spring and summer getting fatter and fatter, then watched them "bag up" and was expecting them all to fawn and see the little ones everywhere. Well, we ended up only having 2 successful mothers, one with twins and one single. The others just went skinny again and nothing. This is on 400 LF acres...... have not paid much attention to the non yard deer, but have only seen a few fawns otherwise.....
        Almost exactly what I have seen here in Brown Coubty. 300 acres low fence.
        Only fawns I see are the house fawns. And I am out in the field everyday.
        Between coyotes, bobcats and drought fawn survival
        is approx 15-20% overall. Thanks to a couple sets of twins.

BP

Comment

Our survey showed 0.7 fawns per doe in our survey. We were also told that we had a very high fawn survival and almost 2.5x better than the average fawn crop this year. I'm sure a lot of it has to be attributed to us not grazing our place this year to allow grasses to be high, feeding a LOT, and providing plenty of water.

Comment

How much water do they actually need? We had crazy bad drought. But, I have multiple ponds that the deer seem to totally ignore no matter how hot it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
              I have fawns everywhere. Don't know the ratio.
              The rain came in the nick of time.
              Between my brother and myself, we killed 14 coyotes this year, too, on 500 acres.
              10 were right before fawning.

Comment

Did our helicopter survey yesterday and we had 45%. High fence in LaSalle county. I think the rains were about a month late.

Comment

Our biologist is saying 4-11% is what he’s seen on the surrounding ranches by us, all lf as well. Hasn’t flown ours since February but not looking good from what we’ve seen either.

Comment

Will this help get deer numbers in check?…for overpopulated areas like central texas?

Who will be killing does next month?

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                      Will this help get deer numbers in check?…for overpopulated areas like central texas?

We’re looking at 30 does total, had 90 last year and 120 the year before. 14 hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                        Statewide average will be below 30% this year.
                        On the Llano ranch we observed 13% fawn production. The South Texas ranch did better @ 59% because I let the DMP does raise their fawns in the pen and held them as long possible.
                        That is what I did with the DMP. I did not let mine out until August 31st.

Comment

Navarro Co TX had great crop in my area and Seminole CO Ok also seemed to be great. Had good rain in spring at both but got really dry in summer. Was still good enough to carry fawns thru.

Comment

10-30% on central and west tx clients. East tx 18-45% both fed and unfed, all HF but 2.

Comment

We fly this coming weekend. I don’t expect anything over 7%

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post

We don’t have an over population.
                                Zero. I have already seen 7 dead dead this year from various causes.

Comment

Working...
                                X