3L Duramax opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3L Duramax opinions

I’m on the fence on this one. I don’t need my 19 f250 powerstroke. Love it. Don’t need it. I test drove a Silverado LTZ with the small duramax and thought it was pretty impressive. I know it won’t pull anything like the f250 but it is supposed to get way better fuel mileage. The heaviest thing I see pulling nowadays is a 20’ Skeeter. My question is will I be happy pulling that 20’ bass boat with the 3L duramax?

Fuel mileage sounds nice, but I would not own a diesel just for mileage. The half ton gas rigs are getting 20mpg these days. I just traded my 2021 ram hemi 4x4 with 3.93 rear end. in and averaged 18 all around mpg and on trips would get right at 20. Diesels will all have emissions issues it’s not if it’s when and as soon as warranty is over it’s not cheap to fix

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      Fuel mileage sounds nice, but I would not own a diesel just for mileage. The half ton gas rigs are getting 20mpg these days. I just traded my 2021 ram hemi 4x4 with 3.93 rear end. in and averaged 18 all around mpg and on trips would get right at 20. Diesels will all have emissions issues it’s not if it’s when and as soon as warranty is over it’s not cheap to fix

I agree. Even the base model engines are no slouch. Chevy has a turbo 2.7L 4 cylinder in the half tons that has some impressive low end torque. It has 310 hp and 348 ft lbs! For comparison, in 2003 the 5.3L V8 was rated at 285 hp and 325 ft lbs! So don’t shy away from the base engines because “they don’t have enough power to pull my boat”.

For full disclosure, I’ve got a 2022 Ram 1500 with the HEMI and 3.21 rear gears. On a highway trip from San Antonio to Corpus Christi with a constant headwind, the truck averaged 22 mpg with cruise set to 65 mph.

Comment

Can’t a moderna Tacoma pull a 20 ft skeeter no issues

Comment

Not to mention in my neck of the woods diesel has been $1 to $2 more per gallon for several years now. Last week it was $2.35 higher per gallon

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
            Can’t a moderna Tacoma pull a 20 ft skeeter no issues
            I’d assume not in an hurry.

Comment

My brother just traded in his 8 month old 1/2 ton duramax due to emission related issues. 1st time it was in shop for 2 months. Threw a code 2 weeks ago and pulled it into a dodge dealership and drove out with a dodge.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                Spot on

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I drove a buddies 1/2 Chevy diesel last month and loved it. It will be on my short list for a run around truck in the near future.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I like my 1/2 diesel- I’ve had it 4 yrs and it’s been great. Traded in f 250 king ranch and never looked back! I didn’t need to pull big RV anymore. I went from 15/ mpg on a good day to 28 mpg on a good day( I’ve hit 30-32 a few times on long trips). I still pull a horse, rv - cargo conversion and a 20’ cc to the coast- I went from 10-12 mpg to 15-19 mpg while pulling . You’re going to see a huge ( biggest)drop on your insurance too. When I did the math on what I was saving… in what I was paying for fuel, insurance and upkeep on the f-250 for 6 months- I could pay for 12 months on my eco diesel. And, honestly the quality of ride was night and day…. Like I said - I didn’t look back!

Comment

Originally posted by sticknstring View Post
                      I like my 1/2 diesel- I’ve had it 4 yrs and it’s been great. Traded in f 250 king ranch and never looked back! I didn’t need to pull big RV anymore. I went from 15/ mpg on a good day to 28 mpg on a good day( I’ve hit 30-32 a few times on long trips). I still pull a horse, rv - cargo conversion and a 20’ cc to the coast- I went from 10-12 mpg to 15-19 mpg while pulling . You’re going to see a huge ( biggest)drop on your insurance too. When I did the math on what I was saving… in what I was paying for fuel, insurance and upkeep on the f-250 for 6 months- I could pay for 12 months on my eco diesel. And, honestly the quality of ride was night and day…. Like I said - I didn’t look back!
                      I struggle daily with trading in my F-250 tremor for a AT4 with the baby duramax

Only thing I own that would warrant a diesel would be the tractor but it stays at the ranch 99% of the time
                      Last edited by txtrophy85; 09-18-2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

The 3litre is an amazing platform. Early models had some hiccups. As most early model anything have. I wouldn't hesitate one second from buying one.

The internet forums. Have people worried. The ones I see with issues. Are the pavement pounders. That never see highway driving. So if you drive 12 miles round trip for work. Never see sustained highway miles. Or Temps. Do not buy. You will have issues.

Comment

I have a friend with a baby duramax and he absolutely loves it. I have ridden many times and it is a great truck.

That said, if I was shopping a new 1/2 ton, I would have to look at the turbo 6’s out there. Ford and Toyota have them and Ram is on the way. Mileage in the 20’s, cheaper fuel, no DEF to buy and no emissions system issues.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                            I have a friend with a baby duramax and he absolutely loves it. I have ridden many times and it is a great truck.

That said, if I was shopping a new 1/2 ton, I would have to look at the turbo 6’s out there. Ford and Toyota have them and Ram is on the way. Mileage in the 20’s, cheaper fuel, no DEF to buy and no emissions system issues.
                            Read above. The emission issues are from lack of driving. Lack of exhaust heat. The turbo engines suffer as well. Lack of oiling. Lack of hwy speeds. Lack of being "stretched" out. Then suffer from Lack of cooling down or idle time. Both suffer the same issues. Driving style. If you are the in town. Short quick trip person. You WILL have issues. Turbo Gas or diesel.

Comment

3L Duramax opinions

If I were in the market for a 1/2 ton truck I would definitely consider the Duramax; even as hideous as I think the current body style is.

My SIL has one and gets 26 combined 30 on the highway in an RST (I think) 4x4 crew cab.

The 2023 just got a nice little bump in power and some other upgrades as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X