Outboard Motor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outboard Motor Question

Got a question about my Yamaha VMAX SHO. Right now, I have a 175 HP SHO. I want to upgrade to a 250 HP, but they are few and far between. Someone has told me that I can "flash" my motor to pull all the HP out of it. I assume that it is like tuning a car engine, but I honestly have no idea. Before I have it done, I was looking for more info, has anyone done it, is it even possible, or am I being filled full of it.

Thanks for the replies.

It can be flashed. I'm not sure about the 175s. I know the 200s can be flashed up to a 250. I'm almost certain that if it is flashed it voids all warranties. But I've heard allot of guys talk about having them and they get 250 performance. Also consider what your boat is rated for. If you exceed the coast guard rating I don't think your insurance will cover anything in the event of an accident.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anthonysince94 View Post
      It can be flashed. I'm not sure about the 175s. I know the 200s can be flashed up to a 250. I'm almost certain that if it is flashed it voids all warranties. But I've heard allot of guys talk about having them and they get 250 performance. Also consider what your boat is rated for. If you exceed the coast guard rating I don't think your insurance will cover anything in the event of an accident.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      Well, I dont have insurance on the boat. LOL! It is paid off and stored in the garage, so my homeowners covers it there. I had insurance but got rid of it because we dont use the boat 6 months out of the year. The boat is rated for a 250 HP motor, so I should be ok there.

Thanks for the info though. I will look into flashing it. I have 3 years left on the motor warranty, so maybe I will wait until then to do it or to re-power.

Comment

Anyone else have any input?

Comment

100% voids warranty we flashed our 250 pro xs and the things a hammer now

Comment

Yes. i've read about flashing and read good results. Not sure about 175 though and if the same block. I think there is a place in MO that does this that is real good. Also, i would not do it till warranty is up.

Comment

I'm not sure how you're gonna get 6 cyl power from an I4 for one no matter the program

They way some gain extra hp without warranty or tournament violation is buying a separate computer. One is flashed or programed and one isn't. Plug and play

When one would take for work etc put original ecm on motor. It also keeps hours off....

FWIW Someone here waited 9 months for a 250 yammy and never got it. He got a 250 zuk in a week. Boat wasn't rated for 250 so went 200 instead. also came in a week.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Quackerbox; 09-20-2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

The 150, 175 and 200 SHO are the same motor virtually.

You can flash or completely replace the ECU but you aren’t going to get 250 performance out of that 4 cylinder.

If you put a 250 ECU on that motor, you are gonna pop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought the gov was cracking down on this. Are you sure you can still find a shop to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                    The 150, 175 and 200 SHO are the same motor virtually.

You can flash or completely replace the ECU but you aren’t going to get 250 performance out of that 4 cylinder.

If you put a 250 ECU on that motor, you are gonna pop it.

115, 150 and 175 sho are 2.8 L inline 4cyl
                    200, 225, and 250 are 4.6L v6

So the 200 can be flashed up to 250 hp and rev limiter raised
                    115 can be flashed up to 175 hp

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post

This makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post

My bad. Either way, he’s not going to get much more out of that 175.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                          Well, I dont have insurance on the boat. LOL! It is paid off and stored in the garage, so my homeowners covers it there. I had insurance but got rid of it because we dont use the boat 6 months out of the year. The boat is rated for a 250 HP motor, so I should be ok there.

Thanks for the info though. I will look into flashing it. I have 3 years left on the motor warranty, so maybe I will wait until then to do it or to re-power.
                          Hey coach, check with your insurance company. Almost certain it is not covered. Every company I represent has a certain size of boat and motor that is covered, but they are very small. Another heads up is that just about any vehicle that can have its own title will not be covered if parked in the garage and house burns to the ground or if stolen.

Comment

I think you are stuck with 175.

And double check your insurance coverage!

Comment

a friend of mine flashed his 250sho to a 300 supposedly. hardly even noticed a difference. I think he got hosed.

Comment

Working...
                              X