No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what I’m gathering from last years thread is that most kills are in unit 8. Is that just where most folks hunt? Where do you park when hunting unit 8? Where would you park to best access unit 1?

Comment

Originally posted by saggybows12 View Post
      So what I’m gathering from last years thread is that most kills are in unit 8. Is that just where most folks hunt? Where do you park when hunting unit 8? Where would you park to best access unit 1?

For unit 8 you drive down county road and there are gates with roads/trails that go into the unit. Its a long slow drive speed limit is like 15. And they monitor speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For unit 1 the parking lot on General Brant road is pretty much only option. I think one is archery only. We did rifle hunt at LANWR

Comment

Originally posted by saggybows12 View Post
          I’ll take what I can get, especially for my first time out there. Which hunt were you on when you arrowed that big bull?

December 16-21

Comment

So Mr Perez, what boadhead are you going to go with after all is set and done for your hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
              So Mr Perez, what boadhead are you going to go with after all is set and done for your hunt?

Kinda like to know myself. Shopping now thinking about adding weight to my bolts to get a little FOC action but have no clue what I need. Researching now

Comment

I was thinking of just using my 100gr Slick Tricks. Any opinions there?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post

Don't know, my guess is heavier drain 125fixed for Nilgai

All I have is100 grains of contemplating moving up to125 grain- maybe G5 monte or similar

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                    I think they'll do just fine. You place the POI behind the shoulder, you'll get a pass through.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post

I’m gonna stick with the 125 Grain Slick tricks 1” Diameter. Keep in mind they look small but four blades cut close to or as much as a broader 2 or 3 blade.

I’ve heard and seen some great results from the G5 Montec Carbon Steel, indestructible, (I was not a fan of sharpness and inability to replace blades but I’ve been told the CS are sharper than the other Montecs). I’ll attach some photos from a broadhead test, I haven’t tried them myself I’ve only used the Strikers.

Steel force and Magnus are two other options to explore if you don’t like slick trick. These two are commonly referred to me.

Shoot whatever you have confidence in, make good judgement, NO quartering to shots and NO MECHANICALS!!!!!

Anyone else have recommendations that have worked well on the Nilgai???

Comment

Shot into concrete.

Comment

Wow^^^, those montec carbon steel are the real deal for sure

Comment

This is a Magnus Stinger at work on my leg. Even with poor shot placement it almost killed me. Ha!

Comment

My dad shoots grizzly stik’s out of his recurve. I was very impressed with them, I’m thinking about shooting them in 125 gr.

Comment

Originally posted by mgperez View Post

This is a Magnus Stinger at work on my leg. Even with poor shot placement it almost killed me. Ha!

Big oof😬

Comment

Working...
                                X