Medical bills -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical bills -

I was raised to pay what I owe. I also believe in being debt free as much as possible.

So lets debate the new moral dilemma happening to good people every day.

Is there a point when they lie, cheat, steal, and plunder us with made up hospital charges where we say screw it and lie, cheat, steal in order to pay as little as possible?

The only way to avoid this happening is to pay $2-3k per month for great insurance. That's just not feasible either.

What will you do when it happens to you? Just assume that great insurance you have doesn't pay as much as you thought and you're stuck with 500k in bills.

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    I was raised to pay what I owe. I also believe in being debt free as much as possible.

So lets debate the new moral dilemma happening to good people every day.

Is there a point when they lie, cheat, steal, and plunder us with made up hospital charges where we say screw it and lie, cheat, steal in order to pay as little as possible?

The only way to avoid this happening is to pay $2-3k per month for great insurance. That's just not feasible either.

What will you do when it happens to you? Just assume that great insurance you have doesn't pay as much as you thought and you're stuck with 500k in bills.
    You can find medical insurance way less than that for an individual - IMO finding a high deductible plan that brings the premiums down significantly is way better than not being covered at all. In addition many folks qualify for a discount/subsidy if they buy it through the exchange. (depends on income).
    Insurance companies are regulated by law and a written contract to pay legitimate medical bills. They clearly disclose what is and is not covered, Problem is most folks never take time to know what the exclusions, etc. are in their policy. In fact most all insurance plans require a pre-certification prior to approving a surgery or procedure. Once completed the insurance company outlines what will and will not be covered.

Last thing I would want for me or my family is to have a huge medical bill hanging over me forever.

Comment

Same here, as far as paying what I owe and being debt free.

Most of the medical bills on serious injuries/illness are next to impossible to pay. I will pay a few dollars a month to each medical facility/physician on any debt I incur if/when it comes to that.

What is infuriating to me, is that illegal aliens that require medical attention get free of charge no questions asked

Comment

normally we would say to shake the dirt off your sandals and disassociate from people or organizations like that. however this is kind of thing that you will most likely be forced to interact with them at some point. so that in mind, I'm of the opinion that you are in no way morally obligated to act in good faith with a person/organization that has proven to take every advantage, legal and illegal, against you. you are in a civil state of nature in this situation.

Comment

Dont know where you came up with that figure a month. I have a preexisting condition and my insurance was 1200 for good insurance because I needed it. You can get emergency medical policy for 350 month. But if you want to see what they are charging you just request an itemize cost.

Comment

Why doesn't the medical profession give you an estimate based on what is known beforehand? No where else does it that way, even dentist will tell you what it'll cost first. They can but they won't.

Comment

Please read my post above. They DO provide an estimate. It is called PreCertification. Most all insurance companies require it before you have a surgery or procedure. It outlines exactly what will and will not be covered.

Comment

Medical bills -

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                Why doesn't the medical profession give you an estimate based on what is known beforehand? No where else does it that way, even dentist will tell you what it'll cost first. They can but they won't.

The government regulations.

My wife is a medical billing guru. She contracts out to several practices.

Hospitals can operate on what insurance pays….they plan on that. Your out of pocket stuff is the gravy.

I almost died last year with a heart condition. Hospital billed my insurance $143k. My deductible was $7000. That is what my bill was.

Wife set up a payment plan and have been paying $100/month since October. Got a letter last week that we were done.

Too many people ignore the billing office calls. They will deal with you. The most important thing is to pay something on the bill every month, even $50. Eventually they will write it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by 175gr7.62; 08-12-2022, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  The government regulations.

My wife is a medical billing guru. She contracts out to several practices.

Hospitals can operate on what insurance pays….they plan on that. Your out of pocket stuff is the gravy.

I almost died last year with a heart condition. Hospital billed my insurance $143k. My deductible was $7000. That is what my bill was.

Wife set up a payment plan and have been paying $100/month since October. Got a letter last week that we were done.

Too many people ignore the billing office calls. They will deal with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  So you shouldn't change your number and buy a new pickup? Like a liberal would do?

Comment

Doctor/hospital bills eat our lunch every year. Take for example, my daughter had to have her tonsils removed. The hospital called and told us what it was going to cost. The doctor called and told us what it was going to cost. We paid both in full on the day of the surgery. This was about 2 months ago. We just got a bill in the mail for an additional $200 that we owe. It doesn’t make any sense at all.

Last December while on vacation, our daughter got sick at the flip of a switch. Good one minute and then REALLY bad the next. She was hospitalized for 3 days. The hospital had all of our information but we have still not gotten a bill from them, and we never paid anything while we were at the hospital. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                      Please read my post above. They DO provide an estimate. It is called PreCertification. Most all insurance companies require it before you have a surgery or procedure. It outlines exactly what will and will not be covered.
                      I cancelled my July 18 eye surgery on the 11th because they would not tell me my cost. So, don't tell me they do PRECERTIFICATION. They might do it for the insurance companies but not for the patient, even when asked. Screw the medical profession.

Comment

Some people have insurance….it’s called Gofundme

I predict two coming to tbh soon based on recent threads

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                          Some people have insurance….it’s called Gofundme

I predict two coming to tbh soon based on recent threads
                          Wrong about me.

Comment

Starting to wonder who River Rat works for. All your post are what if scenarios. What would you do? Blogger?? I don’t know tell us what you would do? Chain yanker extraordinaire. Were you head of the debate club in Highschool?

Comment

Originally posted by Lights Out View Post
                              Starting to wonder who River Rat works for. All your post are what if scenarios. What would you do? Blogger?? I don’t know tell us what you would do? Chain yanker extraordinaire. Were you head of the debate club in Highschool?
                              good luck with that

Comment

Working...
                              X