No announcement yet.

2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang grasshoppers are eating up my melons. I made a jalapeño and garlic sauce to spray on the melons but it isn’t fazing them.
    What can I do to stop them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Picked a few cantaloupe the other day..

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
        Dang grasshoppers are eating up my melons. I made a jalapeño and garlic sauce to spray on the melons but it isn’t fazing them.

They did the same to my maters... I sprayed (or rather my wife did) with Monterrey's Bug Buster II and after the second spraying about 5 days apart, they seem to be gone... My trouble is, my garden is surrounded by hundreds of acres of pasture land and I have the world's captured supply of grasshoppers!! It's a never-ending battle... Hoping for less pressure come Fall!

Comment

Our cucumbers are still making pretty good, but they're real skinny. We started slicing yesterday to make pickles, and my wife took a bite of one and made a horrible face. It was very bitter. I tried bites from the other 9 and all but one was nasty. A couple of them made my mouth tingle. Any idea what's causing this? Some were picked a little shorter than the recommended 10-12", but none of them really had many seeds in them. Even the couple that I missed for a few days that were 14"+.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
            Our cucumbers are still making pretty good, but they're real skinny. We started slicing yesterday to make pickles, and my wife took a bite of one and made a horrible face. It was very bitter. I tried bites from the other 9 and all but one was nasty. A couple of them made my mouth tingle. Any idea what's causing this? Some were picked a little shorter than the recommended 10-12", but none of them really had many seeds in them. Even the couple that I missed for a few days that were 14"+.
            From the net
            Answer: The bitterness in cucumbers is produced by the compound cucurbitacin. Cucurbitacins are normally found in the leaves, stems, and roots of cucumber plants. The cucurbitacins spread from the vegetative parts of the plant into the cucumber fruit when plants are under stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

Buy a bag of soap nuts and make some soap nut water. Add your mix to the soap nut water then spray both sides of the leaves with mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                If night time temps aren't getting below 70 degrees, full size tomatoes put on fruit.
                That should say full size tomatoes won't put on fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                  From the net
                  Answer: The bitterness in cucumbers is produced by the compound cucurbitacin. Cucurbitacins are normally found in the leaves, stems, and roots of cucumber plants. The cucurbitacins spread from the vegetative parts of the plant into the cucumber fruit when plants are under stress.
                  Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                    Buy a bag of soap nuts and make some soap nut water. Add your mix to the soap nut water then spray both sides of the leaves with mixture.
                    Interesting, never heard of them but I’ll check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                      If night time temps aren't getting below 70 degrees, full size tomatoes put on fruit.
                      Tomatoes rarely set fruit over 94-95 degrees

Comment

Ever seen a squash plant do this? Pics don't do justice. Looks like a flattened out 4" cobra head with tons of blooms on the end.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yup^ I had one do that but not 4 inches.
                          Interesting.

Comment

Cantaloupes are KILLING IT! Can't believe I've never grown them before. With auto drip system, they take zero effort and the bounty is incredible.

Question on a serano plant. Looks great and lots of peppers, but they are super skinny. What would make them beef up a bit?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                              Missed this earlier, when you pick your cucumbers, scrub the blossom end of the fruit. This will help them keep longer and somewhat help with the bitter taste. It's just hot and they are stressed a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                                Cantaloupes are KILLING IT! Can't believe I've never grown them before. With auto drip system, they take zero effort and the bounty is incredible.

Question on a serano plant. Looks great and lots of peppers, but they are super skinny. What would make them beef up a bit?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
                                That’s looks like a cayenne. I have several just like that. Leave em on the plant and they’ll turn a bright red. Great peppers for drying/grinding.

Comment

Working...
                                X