Cattle Guy Overgrazing Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
    Kick him off. I always have a contract that states the expectations of both parties and what happens if they are not met. Writing always makes it easy to come back and help remind everyone what the original agreement was.
    You can do this and lose the ag exemption....and then pick up the wildlife exemption. I "RESTED" my land and then turned it to a wildlife exemption. You need to be able to prove it though and that is very easy....bring in a biologist and they will tell you right there what is going on and will give you the letter if needed. It is your right as a landowner to "REST" land due to overgrazing....the period is 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      How long is your lease agreement for? You don't have to renew it. You don't have to renew it with the same language if you do renew it. If your lease agreement doesn't address stocking rate, then it should the next time you sign one. If he doesn't agree to it, don't lease to him again. Between now and then sit down and talk to him about your concerns and expectations. If he still isn't agreeable, then either stick it out until the lease is up or talk to your lawyer about what options you have to try to get him to either comply or end the lease early.
      He's only in year 2 of a 5 year lease
      Cattleman can destroy his pasture if he waits it out

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
        Every county from Carthage to Texarkana it's 1 head per acre.
        What county is your pasture in?
        1 head per acre ????

Comment

100 acres should easily hold 10 cows unless it’s nothing but a pine thicket…… and just about everyone I know supplements hay / cubes during the winter

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
            1 head per acre ????
            Strange things happen East of 59

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              Its 100 acres and right now its 9 heifers, and 1 bull, but he just sold off I think 8 calves. Its an older guy so I am compassionate to an extent, but I think that effects his thoughts on future leasing opportunities. I have documented correspondence, just looking for what levers I can pull. I thought the water was pretty reasonable (there is still a large tank) versus say taking my gates off for repairs.
              The above tells me you wouldn’t know if he was overgrazing and without even knowing the price, you’re overcharging him.

Every county from Carthage to Texarkana it's 1 head per acre.
              What county is your pasture in?

Shhhhhhhh. It’s ok not to know something and listen.

Comment

Isn’t almost everyone feeding hay now?

Comment

Sounds like you shouldn’t charge him a thing and be glad you got an ag exemption.

10 pairs on a lease ain’t wort any cattleman’s headache. Unless it’s within spitting distance of his house.

And even then it would just be a convenience thing to break off some cows to put with a special bull to raise some replacements or a place to raise yearlings maybe...

Just being honest..

Comment

sure is some fuzzy math reading through this. we need some FACTS to help you!

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                      The above tells me you wouldn’t know if he was overgrazing and without even knowing the price, you’re overcharging him.

Shhhhhhhh. It’s ok not to know something and listen.
                      I was shocked when I heard that too
                      Been hearing it for years

Comment

Lol starting to feel bad for the poor old rancher now. Sign a 5 year grazing lease on a place in ETX that apparently won’t even hold 10 cows and 2nd year in, LO mentioning to “cut off water” or “take off gates for repairs” if he doesn’t take more off.

Comment

I was shocked when I heard that too
                          Been hearing it for years
                          It's even worse the farther south east you get.. there's a guy down the road from me with 10 cows and a bull on 5 acres.. basically a feed lot.. feeds hay year round.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                            That's baloney
                            How so?

Comment

I have a hard time seeing how 10 head on 100 acres is over grazing it, even if 9 of them had a calf with them before. Unless the majority of this property is all thick brush and no grass. As far as feeding hay, it's winter time, a lot of ranchers are feeding hay this time of year. That's the point of spending all spring and summer rolling it up. Grasses go dormant this time of year and lack in growth and nutrition, hay supplements what the ground isn't doing in the winter.

So what evidence has made you believe for the last 6 months or more that it's being over grazed? To me if you don't think this property can handle the few head, you shouldn't even be charging anyone to graze it. Pull the contract, remove the livestock get rid of your ag exemption and just hunt it. That or spend some money clearing it and improving it so that it will hold 15-20 head with no problems, as it should

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

I had it in Wildlife before Ag and NRCS said 15-20 acres per head is right. The rancher agrees he is overgrazing, he has flat out said he thinks he has me since I didnt limit the head count in the lease. There isnt much grass on the place at all, mainly trees and scrub brush. Appreciate the comments.

Comment

Working...
                                X