No announcement yet.

What Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like I am in the same boat.. no need for one. But want to build a custom gun. I have a 270 and earlier this year added a 300prc, but that gun is HEAVY and I doubt I back back it anywhere... so I am looking. I am thinking of 6.8 western. Shooting 175gr should be right in the middle.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Another vote for the .338 Lapua

That will be my next project.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsig View Post
        So let me start off by saying I really don't need a new gun. I feel what I currently own will take care of pretty much anything I want to do. With that being said I really want to build a high end gun. I am just not sure what caliber I want. I own a .223/.556, .243, .257WBY, 7mm I primarily hunt east tx with the occasional trip to south tx or west tx. What should I build? leaning toward a 30 caliber just not sure which one.
        300 WM gets my vote for all the same reasons I got one and for all the same reasons it’s so popular. It’s got enough power for everything in North America but not really “too much” for whitetail. Recoil is on the edge of being too much for a lot of shooting but a brake or suppressor does wonders…I can shoot mine all day with a brake. It’s accurate. If you lose your ammo you can find ammo anywhere. Wide range of bullets since you are a handloader and Lapua and Peterson now make brass. Load it heavy…load it light…load it medium…

Every time I consider getting a new rifle in a different caliber I end up circling back to 300 WM because it just makes too much sense.

Comment

Another vote for the 300 wm.
          I too wanted to develop a 30 cal a few years back. I went with the 300 and I haven’t looked back. It’s a cadillac to shoot, my “to go to “ .

Comment

Do ya reload??? If not stay with something thats readily available...223 5.56 243 308 30-06 we just had a sampling of whats to come if that (idiot )has his way...I say something thats pleasant to shoot..and readily available..

Comment

if you meat hunt, i'd go with 25/06 or 270 ... 308 of course ..

if you want to stroke ego 300wm .. even though considering how bad they kick and how expensive they are to shoot , i wouldn't .

sold my sendero long ago ... seemed like a good idea at the time ... ended up a safe queen ...

you already got the best of the bunch ... the 243 !
              never pulled the trigger on anything that was dead before it knew it .. grim reaper on Tx game.

buddy of mine got a 25/06 to shoot pigs at 290 yard feeder under light ... pretty devastating what it still does at that distance ..

good luck with whatever you decide...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                if you meat hunt, i'd go with 25/06 or 270 ... 308 of course ..

if you want to stroke ego 300wm .. even though considering how bad they kick and how expensive they are to shoot , i wouldn't .

sold my sendero long ago ... seemed like a good idea at the time ... ended up a safe queen ...

you already got the best of the bunch ... the 243 !
                never pulled the trigger on anything that was dead before it knew it .. grim reaper on Tx game.

buddy of mine got a 25/06 to shoot pigs at 290 yard feeder under light ... pretty devastating what it still does at that distance ..

good luck with whatever you decide...
                Say what you want about a .30 caliber magnum rifle, I shot them exclusively for 30 years, and then switched to a .308win
                Which is rather anemic @ 350 yards, lots of calibers that produce
                1500 foot pounds of energy and drop less then 30inches @ 300-400 yards the 30 cal magnums
                Excel in that category, .243 doesn’t excel past 300 yards @ 1100fpe then literally falls on its face.
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-26-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

have shot a lot of rifle calibers and I think I still like the .30-06 best.
                  165 grn. Nosler or Sierra, one of the best rounds ever in flat-shooting.
                  Good luck on your choice.

Comment

Maybe don’t focus on the caliber as much as what style of rifle you would like to have.
                    Then go from there with what caliber would make sense.

When I did mine I wanted a do all, I had a .280 but I couldn’t call it a do all rifle because it’s sentimental and a “pretty” rifle so I stick to stand hunting with it. So for an all weather do all I decided the 280ai made sense because I would be reloading for it eventually and components are mostly interchangeable.

My vote is a 30 caliber or a big thumper based off a 30-06 case.

30-06 (30-06ai)
                    300 win
                    338-06
                    35 Whelen
                    Last edited by SwampBuck; 11-26-2021, 05:21 PM.

Comment

.308 or 300 wsm, the 280AI would be the the second runner up

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                        Maybe don’t focus on the caliber as much as what style of rifle you would like to have.
                        Then go from there with what caliber would make sense.

When I did mine I wanted a do all, I had a .280 but I couldn’t call it a do all rifle because it’s sentimental and a “pretty” rifle so I stick to stand hunting with it. So for an all weather do all I decided the 280ai made sense because I would be reloading for it eventually and components are mostly interchangeable.

My vote is a 30 caliber or a big thumper based off a 30-06 case.

30-06 (30-06ai)
                        300 win
                        338-06
                        35 Whelen
                        Three years ago I went with the 338-06. No regrets. Power wise it runs neck and neck with the 300WSM but is more future proof. If you reload it's easy to make brass. One pass of 30-06 brass through the 338-06 sizing die and done. No fireforming required! My favorite load for deer and pigs is the 200gr Speer Hotcore and H4350 powder. It delivers a whallup! You can load it with bullets from 160-250grains. It edged out the Whelen for me because it has more bullet choices. Really versatile cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
                          Three years ago I went with the 338-06. No regrets. Power wise it runs neck and neck with the 300WSM but is more future proof. If you reload it's easy to make brass. One pass of 30-06 brass through the 338-06 sizing die and done. No fireforming required! My favorite load for deer and pigs is the 200gr Speer Hotcore and H4350 powder. It delivers a whallup! You can load it with bullets from 160-250grains. It edged out the Whelen for me because it has more bullet choices. Really versatile cartridge.
                          It’s a round that’s definitely caught my eye. Would love to do a build with iron sights and use it as a closer range heavy hitter.

But admittedly I’m finding myself wanting another 30/06 first and foremost.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
                            Not to hijack the thread. I had not heard of this round. Thanks, I will have to read up on it.

Comment

My first custom barreled rifle was a 300 WM. I wanted a rifle for whitetail and everything in North America that I'd be able to hunt. It has gotten out of hand since then and I've had 10 more built. 260 rem, a few 308, 6.5-06, 223, 243 Ackley, 6.5 TCU, 6.5x55 Ackley, 280 Ackley, hell I lose track. I'm gathering parts for a 338 Edge build now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                                .270 and u can kill what u want on this planet.
                                Not at super long distances.

Comment

Working...
                                X