No announcement yet.

NASA to crash rocket into asteroid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably a lot worse than they are letting on. Probably the end of humanity, they're scrambling, but keeping it quiet to avoid chaos. Nice knowing ya'll

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
      I saw a few news reports on it. Some folks were concerned, some were saying it made sense. So, I checked to see what astro-physicist Neil deGrasse Tyson said about it. He broke it down for us far less knowledgeable cavemen ..............and it works for me! Way more upside. That is how science works, experimentation! We deaux know that dinosaur's became extinct by a huge asteroid strike, thus why take the chance when we can at least be prepared if it became a issue to mankind.
      X2, this makes sense. Do this now when just an “experiment” that can provide information if ever really needed.

Comment

Put Joe and the ho in front seats on the thing

Comment

Why would we wait for one to enter our system that will be a threat..to test? I am all for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
            Giant waste of tax payer money.
            I would love to see their mathematical models on this and their probability distribution on how much they think they can “move” an astroid based on different size astroids.
            Why would they approve funding if all mathematical models showed no indication of course deviation?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
              Why would they approve funding if all mathematical models showed no indication of course deviation?
              Because they can. It cost them nothing, we pay for it.

The asteroid that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs was estimated to be 57-8 miles wide traveling 30k mph. Do you think a rocket that burned most of it propellant to escape the atmosphere would have enough weight left to cause any movement. It’s like shooting a BB gun at a tank.

Show me what a rocket can apply to an asteroid before it hits terminal zone and how big of asteroid that amount of force can move.

Comment

If that rocket has a small nuclear device onboard the explosion might wiggle it some but do we even know for sure how big that rock is? If it is car sized then sure it will move or even turn it into space dust but if it is several miles across that's another thing.

Comment

Does anyone notice a change in direction when hitting a junebug in your vehicle?
                  Similar to thinking that we can control the weather. Someone dropped the ball on that last February.

Comment

Because they can. It cost them nothing, we pay for it.

The asteroid that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs was estimated to be 57-8 miles wide traveling 30k mph. Do you think a rocket that burned most of it propellant to escape the atmosphere would have enough weight left to cause any movement. It’s like shooting a BB gun at a tank.

Show me what a rocket can apply to an asteroid before it hits terminal zone and how big of asteroid that amount of force can move.
                    Thanks for you response. I am not disagreeing with you I am just curious that is all.

What is the largest size astroid you think we CAN successfully deviate? How much damage would that astroid do if it impacted earth?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                      Thanks for you response. I am not disagreeing with you I am just curious that is all.

What is the largest size astroid you think we CAN successfully deviate? How much damage would that astroid do if it impacted earth?
                      We are asking the same questions.

“ Show me what a rocket can apply to an asteroid before it hits terminal zone and how big of asteroid that amount of force can move.”

Comment

We are asking the same questions.

“ Show me what a rocket can apply to an asteroid before it hits terminal zone and how big of asteroid that amount of force can move.”

Asteroid - 530-foot
                        Impact Velocity -15,000 mph
                        Impactor mass - 610 kg (1,340 lb),
                        Impact - 500 kg (1,100 lb)
                        Velocity change of asteroid expected- 0.4 mm/s

Guess we will see next September if their calculation was accurate.

Comment

If we were able to hit an asteroid a few million miles away, it wouldn’t have to move it much at all to dramatically change the outcome here. So if you could change the trajectory by a fraction, of a fraction of a degree then that could be the difference between a direct hit vs an air burst vs skipping off of the atmosphere.

The same could be done with either speeding up an asteroid or slowing it down. If it is done soon enough, the gravitational pull from other planets could alter the trajectory by decreasing or increasing the time planet’s gravitational pull have to effect the asteroid.

There are thousands of variables which makes predicting what is going to happen VERY difficult.

Comment

Isn't there a Gerard Butler movie about asteroids hitting earth? Greenland or something like that.

In that movie everyone is under the impression the asteroid is gonna miss earth until it's too late... meanwhile all the governments knew the truth all along.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutRam2500 View Post
                              Isn't there a Gerard Butler movie about asteroids hitting earth? Greenland or something like that.

In that movie everyone is under the impression the asteroid is gonna miss earth until it's too late... meanwhile all the governments knew the truth all along.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
                              That was Dave Chappelle.
                              Them cloned twins though

Comment

Drill baby drill!

Comment

Working...
                                X