Scared of heights? Any cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    No Chew - its bad. I get 5 feet away from an edge and she starts threatening. She goes condition black. Getting tired of getting kicked. Will try anything once this trip is over.
    Condition black? Wow I like that never heard of that but I can relate. No help on the height mind trick. I’m too much like her.

Comment

Comment

Best way is to attack that fear head on. When I was a drill Sergeant we had recruits that were terrified of heights and they had to repel down a 40' wall. The easiest way we showed them that nothing would happen to them was I would put a swiss seat on and start to repel down the wall. Once I was about 5' down I would just let go of my rope and free fall a few feet and let my belay partner catch me. sure they freaked out when they got to the top of the wall and began to repel down but it was the coaching that helped them begin the repel. I would start buy hiking up a smaller mountain and try to get her to the top above the tree line. Coach her on the way up and take it a short distance at a time. The reward will be the view up top.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
          I'm scared to death of heights. Used to roof houses and didn't like it one bit. Had to control the fear so I could get paid but I had nightmares about falling all the time. Some fears you just can't get over. I don't really think it's the fear of heights that gets me. It's the fear of falling. The steeper the roof I'd be moving around like a robot. I could get up there I just couldn't get close to the edge. Put me on a steep roof and take me to the edge and try and make me look at the ground. That could get a person hurt. I've been on the verge of tears and literally felt like I was going to have a panic attack while roofing a house. How I ever got through that is beyond me.

I am sacred to death of heights also. Once you have to do something for a living that involves heights after a couple or weeks or so of doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a very healthy respect (fear) of heights, and I was an Airborne Ranger. Gravity ALWAYS wins...always.

Comment

Worked with a man in our maintenance department for a little over a year. Anytime we had to go up in the scissor lift, he would take it to the ceiling and start dancing and jumping around. He would hang off the side or stand on the top rail to work on things. Heights still aren't my favorite thing, but those experiences seemed to help. Still get a little nervous the first couple sits in the tree stand at the beginning of season, but it goes away the more I sit.

Comment

Wondering if there’s an indoor climbing facility in your area she could go to and train. I don’t know if those places are as popular or not. Not exactly sure how that would be categorized. Perhaps there would be a benefit to her watching other women online facing their fear of heights in videos? That’s all I’ve got for now.

Comment

Take her sky diving & then bungee jumping...cliff walking will be easy afterwards.

Comment

Scared of heights? Any cure

Irrational fears like that have always cracked me up. I have never been afraid of heights, but rather enjoyed them. I used to install fireplaces, and therefore, chimney caps. I did some things on steep roofs over the years that would give my mother a heart attack. I fell off 3 roofs, one 2 story, and I rode a small chimney off of a single story. The framer that built it and nailed it to the roof decking, wound up worse than I did. That stuff always seemed different to me than cliffs, tall bridges, etc.

Those latter things were always mind over matter to me, ie a million people have done this, and been fine. Always figured if a cliff or bridge was gonna collapse while I was on it, it was just my time. I went bungee jumping when I was 12. Tried to skydive once at 18, but the weather was jacked.

Other stuff like climbing trees, or being on high steep roofs, I just knew I knew what I was doing. And more importantly, I knew what I was gonna do if I slipped and had to go off. It always worked.

Mind over matter, heights can’t hurt you if you don’t do anything stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Dale Moser; 09-03-2021, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Fear is an odd thing. Picking up a venomous snake is no big deal for me but heights are. Funny how that works.

I've come to the conclusion that a major part of it is being in control of a situation. When I'm on a steep roof or a shaky ladder or scaffolding I don't feel like I'm in control of that situation at all. It's an uneasy feeling. I've actually fallen off of a 20 foot scaffolding before. Didn't break anything luckily.

When I was roofing I literally had to just do it and not think about it. That's easier said than done but if I thought about it my heart rate would go up and I would go into a state of panic. The time I locked up on a roof I had to sit down and calm myself down. I had an anxiety attack. Which wasn't the best place to have one of those believe it or not. I think roofing day after day just stressed me out so bad I couldn't control it. That roof wasn't even that bad looking back on it I just had a freak out for a minute or five. I'm a pretty level headed person and I can't believe I got to that point but I did. I couldn't control my emotions. That freaked me out big time.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 09-03-2021, 11:24 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Black Ice;15794200]I am sacred to death of heights also. Once you have to do something for a living that involves heights after a couple or weeks or so of doing it

Sorry I got side tracked and didn’t finish my post.

I am sacred to death of heights also. Once you have to do something for a living that involves heights after a couple or weeks or so of doing it you get used to it.

First time I went offshore and had to ride the personnel basket I freaked out. I then freaked out having to walk over open grating and for sure thought I would fall through.

After a couple of weeks I didn’t even grip the net on the personnel basket and slid down the stairs instead of walking.

I still don’t like climbing a tree or sitting in a ladder stand unless it’s a two man with rails because I don’t do it very often. Back when I lived in North Carolina and did it multiple times a week it became easy. Now that only get off the ground 3 or 4 times a year it freaks me out.

I can’t even climb on my roof now but could get lifted 80 Foot in the air holding onto some ropes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          My wife is scared of heights. Often when driving she puts a blanket on her head. She has gotten alot better. Getting her this close was tough today. The bad part is if I get close to edge if freaks her out. Anyone tried been hypothesized or anything else with success. She enjoys the mountains and hiking but some trails are a no-go.
                          Is that like being hypnotized Sorry bud, couldn't resist.

Val looks to be handling it just fine.

Comment

Exposure, exposure, exposure, exposure….

The trick is to SLOWLY increase the person’s exposure and comfort. If you try to push straight to tall heights, they will shut down completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I remember when I was a kid some older kids that lived next door to my grandma and grandpa would come over to "babysit" us younger kids when nobody was around. My grandma had a balcony at the top of the stairs in her house and since I was the smallest they'd grab me and hang me over the edge by my ankles. That's where I developed that fear I believe. I also believe I learned how to fight better than the other kids early on. I'd like to see them try to do that to me now.LOL

Same for the fear I had of water for the longest time after I almost drown in Foss Lake. My mom got a swimming pool later in life so I got better about that one.

I do agree the more you're around something that you're afraid of the less afraid you'll be. But having the mindset that you don't want to be afraid anymore is something you have to decide for yourself. If you put her in uncomfortable situations where she's terrified you'll probably just scare her even worse.

I'm trying to put myself in her shoes. See how close she'll go to the edge of something tall. If she's at all freaked out don't grab her arm or nothin. Don't even touch her cause she's liable to freak out and throw you off of it.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 09-04-2021, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Post up if you try it and it works.

Comment

Working...
                                X