No announcement yet.

2021 Hurricane Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prayers up for LA! Those folks have had it bad for the last few years. Terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Spring time up here always reminds me of being in a shooting gallery with the tornados and big hail storms. It occurs to me that we dodge rifle shots, and you coastal guys dodge shotgun patterns that last 2 days.

I hate it for yall, I've seen the aftermath 1st hand, I hope it peters out or turns away to....somewhere else.
      I grew up in West Texas--Abilene to be specific. I have lived there and Lubbock. My first teaching job was in Kountze! I went from seeing miles and miles to cant see past my neighbors house.

The first year I was in Kountze I got baptized into southeast Texas with hurricane Rita. Hurricanes still freak me out--watch these dumb things for weeks----- Its a different world!

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
        Price we pay for living on the Coast
        A price I’m willing to accept
        Having 2 family places in matty growing up I can remember my pops being glued to the TV each time the word hurricane got mentioned. Throughout my life we got pretty lucky.

Carla took the river house and he and grandad re-built. The house in town saw a little damage during another and the river was lost again. By then we had sold them both. So the damage I saw growing up was always someone elses deal. I miss spending weekends down there but todays crowds are nuts.

The folks who continue to live down there or anywhere on the coast have my respect for taking that risk. But I can understand it

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
          Price we pay for living on the Coast
          A price I’m willing to accept
          Yep. You know it going in

Comment

Growing up in South Louisiana is all I know - 53 years of dealing with Hurricanes. I respect Mother Nature since she is 100% unpredictable. I've never evacuated, although I live probably 15-20 miles from the GOM. My childhood and teenage years were spent in Metairie (NOLA). I can remember being 4-5 years old (around 1972-1973) and my dad taping the windows with masking tape to prevent them from shattering. No clue if that would have worked, but everyone else was doing it in the early 1970's so dad followed along. Dad also cracked the windows a few inches to relieve the pressure ??? With the windows cracked, you could feel the rise/fall of the barometric pressure and massive wind gusts. The winds would howl through the cracks often sounding like a freight train passing over for hours. We never flooded, lost a roof, or had a tree fall on the house. Several family and friends experienced tragedy during Hurricanes Betsy (1965) Camille (1969) and obviously Katrina (2005).

For some crazy strange reason, seems like 9 out of 10 hurricanes make landfall late in the evening or early morning hours. Once we lost electricity, we huddled together in the living room, listening to WWL 870 AM radio broadcasts of the weather. During Katrina, my then 85 yr old grandma and 87 year old great aunt lost power, and had no clue about the flooding or devastation. Being octogenarians, neither had cell phones for communication. Both were rescued and evacuated to live with me in Lafayette until we could find a place for them with relatives in Houston.

Hurricanes suck, but you're given enough time to prepare for the worst and make crucial family decisions. With tornadoes, wild fires, and earthquakes, you're SOL as those things often happen in the blink of an eye. Praying for all those who will be effected this weekend and for future storms.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              For some crazy strange reason, seems like 9 out of 10 hurricanes make landfall late in the evening or early morning hours.
              We just had this discussion again yesterday. It sure is weird that they almost always come at night

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                We just had this discussion again yesterday. It sure is weird that they almost always come at night

I’ve always wondered this as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would love a Johnny explanation on why they hit overnight. I did learn during Harvey that as temps cool overnight rainfall rates increase with tropical systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just peeked at the radar. It's doing its best hurricane symbol impression

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      Growing up in South Louisiana is all I know - 53 years of dealing with Hurricanes. I respect Mother Nature since she is 100% unpredictable. I've never evacuated, although I live probably 15-20 miles from the GOM. My childhood and teenage years were spent in Metairie (NOLA). I can remember being 4-5 years old (around 1972-1973) and my dad taping the windows with masking tape to prevent them from shattering. No clue if that would have worked, but everyone else was doing it in the early 1970's so dad followed along. Dad also cracked the windows a few inches to relieve the pressure ??? With the windows cracked, you could feel the rise/fall of the barometric pressure and massive wind gusts. The winds would howl through the cracks often sounding like a freight train passing over for hours. We never flooded, lost a roof, or had a tree fall on the house. Several family and friends experienced tragedy during Hurricanes Betsy (1965) Camille (1969) and obviously Katrina (2005).

For some crazy strange reason, seems like 9 out of 10 hurricanes make landfall late in the evening or early morning hours. Once we lost electricity, we huddled together in the living room, listening to WWL 870 AM radio broadcasts of the weather. During Katrina, my then 85 yr old grandma and 87 year old great aunt lost power, and had no clue about the flooding or devastation. Being octogenarians, neither had cell phones for communication. Both were rescued and evacuated to live with me in Lafayette until we could find a place for them with relatives in Houston.

Hurricanes suck, but you're given enough time to prepare for the worst and make crucial family decisions. With tornadoes, wild fires, and earthquakes, you're SOL as those things often happen in the blink of an eye. Praying for all those who will be effected this weekend and for future storms.
                      Sounds like we grew up doing the same things to a T!!![emoji2962]
                      I'm at a board meeting for SCI in Vegas this week and trying to get mom and dad to get on the road to Texas.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have family evacuating as I type, some coming here... Blake, I had thought about have my son stop in NI to pick up some goods from you... but figured he better get on the road here to avoid heavy traffic... I need some chili mix! haha.

During Katrina, my house became known as Camp West as we had our place FULL of evacuees for a few weeks. One thing that I'll forever be grateful for was the 24/7 live rebroadcast of WWL-TV over the KHOU 11.2 channel. WWL is the staple for news, weather and to be able to watch it live from Spring was surreal. Most local communications were out of commission, cell service highly unreliable and so to a large degree, that was our only source of info..

Comment

Situation does not look good, I think the storm will make it to a strong Cat 4, they are always conservative on these storms. Prayers for LA neighbors.

Comment

The vast network of levees, flood walls, gates and pumps that protects New Orleans was rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina, and just finished last year, at a cost of some $14 billion will be put to the test this weekend.

Comment

How bad is new Iberia gonna get it have my boat over there right now getting engine work

Comment

Originally posted by Buck hunter332 View Post
                                How bad is new Iberia gonna get it have my boat over there right now getting engine work
                                It could get very bad, it could get a direct hit. It's gonna be a strong and dangerous storm

Comment

Working...
                                X