2021 Handgun Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
    So is it necessary to hot rod pistol rounds? I am having trouble shooting full power 240gr 44 magnum loads out of a very light contender pistol, loads are running 1700+\- fps.
    Not really. I'm shooting a Barnes 225 gr xpb out 44 mag Super Blackhawk at 1,325 fps. Last years 57 yard broadside on a 150ish pound fork dropped him. The bullet passed though both sides of rib cage and lodged just under the skin on the far side. Recoil is almost mild. Randy brought up a good resource, check your reloading manual for velocity range, stay in that range and it should work.

Comment

I'm going to get back into handgun hunting this season, my son has been knocking them down the last couple years with his 300 Blackout.... So, I got a wild hair and snatched up one of the CVA threaded 11.5" Scout V2 pistols in 300 Blackout that I can put a can on to use when hunting with my little dude. Currently trying to decide if I want to go with the Leupold FX II 4x28 or Loopy VX III 2.5-8x32. I'm leaning towards the 4x28.
      Last edited by Chad C; 08-19-2021, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
        I'm going to get back into handgun hunting this season, my son has been knocking them down the last couple years with his 300 Blackout.... So, I got a wild hair and snatched up one of the CVA threaded 11.5" Scout V2 pistols in 300 Blackout that I can put a can on to use when hunting with my little dude. Currently trying to decide if I want to go with the Leupold FX II 4x28 or Loopy VX III 2.5-8x32. I'm leaning towards the 4x28.
        Go with the 2.5x8. When I started hunting with my 7-30 Waters it had a fixed 4 power on it and was too strong for the closer shots. Swapped it out for a 2x7 and have been very happy. Leave it on 2, if you need to turn it up to 7 for a longer shot it's a quick twist.

Comment

Recently picked up a Ruger Redhawk in the classifieds, think I’ve settled in on a load;
          Hornady Brass
          Fed 155
          23.5 Win 296
          And some older Nosler 240 HPs I found

I’m loving most everything about the pistol besides the trigger, can y’all advise me of a local gun smith who can slick this trigger up?
          Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DoveBlaster View Post
            Recently picked up a Ruger Redhawk in the classifieds, think I’ve settled in on a load;
            Hornady Brass
            Fed 155
            23.5 Win 296
            And some older Nosler 240 HPs I found

I’m loving most everything about the pistol besides the trigger, can y’all advise me of a local gun smith who can slick this trigger up?
            Thanks in advance.

Great choice all around. Very similar to the load I use in my 44.

I don’t know any smiths by you but…how mechanically inclined are you? RedHawks are really simple to work on yourself if you are up for it. You can order spring kits from any of the major suppliers like Midway/Brownells/etc. And then do the trigger job yourself.

A few tips if you choose to go this route…take pics with your phone as you remove screws and parts. It will help if you run into a head scratcher when putting it back together. Secondly, while inside clean and polish (without removing metal) all moving parts.

You’ll be surprised at how easy this is and how awesome the results can be.

Worst case scenario is you get it apart and can’t get it back together (highly doubt this will happen), then take all the parts to a smith to reassemble.

Good luck! Pics are appreciated as well!

Comment

I’m finally able to contribute to the hand cannon hunting club. Recently came across a Taurus Raging Bull in 44 Mag. I’m hoping to take my first big game with it this season.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                I’m finally able to contribute to the hand cannon hunting club. Recently came across a Taurus Raging Bull in 44 Mag. I’m hoping to take my first big game with it this season.
                I hope I can also. I happened onto a decently priced Freedom Arms model 83 in .44 mag and a Ruger SBH Hunter in the same caliber. If I can get some pigs in front of me…….

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                  Great choice all around. Very similar to the load I use in my 44.

I don’t know any smiths by you but…how mechanically inclined are you? RedHawks are really simple to work on yourself if you are up for it. You can order spring kits from any of the major suppliers like Midway/Brownells/etc. And then do the trigger job yourself.

A few tips if you choose to go this route…take pics with your phone as you remove screws and parts. It will help if you run into a head scratcher when putting it back together. Secondly, while inside clean and polish (without removing metal) all moving parts.

You’ll be surprised at how easy this is and how awesome the results can be.

Worst case scenario is you get it apart and can’t get it back together (highly doubt this will happen), then take all the parts to a smith to reassemble.

Good luck! Pics are appreciated as well!

Thanks for the reply!
                  This is her

Can you provide a link to the spring kits you speak of?

It’s shooting sub 1in groups at 25 yards as is but the trigger is super heavy and I’m hopeful groups will tighten up with a lighter trigger pull.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                    Nice! Show us a pic and good luck this season!

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
                      This is her

It’s shooting sub 1in groups at 25 yards as is but the trigger is super heavy and I’m hopeful groups will tighten up with a lighter trigger pull.

Outstanding revolver! Thanks for the pic.

Ok I assumed you had a super Redhawk not the standard Redhawk. This is a single spring system vs the dual in the super. Still easy to change but not sure on what to order. Look up Wilson Combat and call their customer service. I know they have what you need and you can order directly from them.

Comment

Originally posted by ruger41 View Post
                        I'm getting the urge to break out the pistols too. I'll have to see what I can do to contribute.
                        Exactly what Ize thinkin'. Time to dust off the ol super blackhawk and put a .44 sized hole in something and pitch in a little!

Comment

Thanks for the reply!
                          This is her

Now that is just cool DoveBlaster, good luck using that fine revolver.

Comment

Love the old style Redhawks!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I have a 8'' Colt Anaconda that I will be using this year !

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
                                I have a 8'' Colt Anaconda that I will be using this year !
                                I had one several years ago. One of those “wish I hadn’t sold” guns. Now I have a Glock 40 MOS that I want to take a few animals with.

Comment

Working...
                                X