This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
    This is gonna be a fun lawsuit war to watch unfold.
    Meh. This ain't OJ

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
      This is gonna be a fun lawsuit war to watch unfold.
      Well, this is just a strongly worded letter.

Comment

[quote=raider19;15723699]
        Originally posted by Deerslayersh View Post
        The response wasn’t to you. I’m not sure what info you’re looking for. Grew up in lower middle class conservative family. 5a high school graduated at top of my class. Paid my way through school with the help of loans and what my parents could offer.

Went to UT very conservative (more libertarian, Ron Paul) and naive. Haven’t change a lot how I vote politically, but I did have good conversations with people from the other side of the aisle and realize that for the most part they come to their beliefs sincerely and with good intentions.

I don’t automatically hate or count people out because they have different political beliefs than me. I try to be open minded about politics and understand how and why people think the way they do.

I was influenced very little from the school itself. I am an engineering major and UT doesn’t require any liberal arts class outside of what I tested myself out of. The only time I talked with professors was about math.

Not sure what else you’re looking for. UT Austin was a great experience for me. Now I’m successful, married with a kid, and work as an engineer.

Not a thing wrong with this. Good for you for being able to have good objective conversations with both sides. You don't have to hate someone just because of their affiliations in politics or schools for that matter.

T-shirt BOB is being who he has always been. Vomiting ignorance is typical for him.
        You're still just really butthurt.

Go back and read what he posted and tell me it didn't sound like his parents were conservative and he soaked up all the liberal Austin college stuff and came away a changed person.....a liberal.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deerslayersh View Post
          I'd absolutely "push" my daughter to UT. Kids and adults need exposure to different ideas, opinions, etc. in order to be well rounded, and come to terms with their own beliefs. I went to UT with all the opinions of my parents and left with a more open mind on a lot of things; and think I'm a better person for the experience.

Most of what I learned politically is that there are reasons for the views on both sides of the table, and you're allowed to say "I'm not sure" and change your mind on things. Austin and UT played a big part in that maturity.

I think "pushing" kids to always be around people of the same mindset is taking the easy way out.
          I had the same experience. I was from a really small town and could have easily went to A&M and had a great college experience. Going to the University of Texas was the best decision I ever made. It didn't change my beliefs or values, but did teach me to think for myself and realize there is a whole lot of world out that has a different opinion, looks different, and lives different than I do and that is okay.

I am constantly amazed at the people that talk about Texas and Austin. Like every place, there are pros and cons to each of them. What gets me is the fact that people will fail to recognize the positives and only dwell on the negative to drive their narrative. In the end, I realize maybe those same people would have benefited from attending Texas and it reassures I made the right decision for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
            I had the same experience. I was from a really small town and could have easily went to A&M and had a great college experience. Going to the University of Texas was the best decision I ever made. It didn't change my beliefs or values, but did teach me to think for myself and realize there is a whole lot of world out that has a different opinion, looks different, and lives different than I do and that is okay.

I am constantly amazed at the people that talk about Texas and Austin. Like every place, there are pros and cons to each of them. What gets me is the fact that people will fail to recognize the positives and only dwell on the negative to drive their narrative. In the end, I realize maybe those same people would have benefited from attending Texas and it reassures I made the right decision for me.

Thanks that’s a great perspective.

In terms of football, I was in the student section with my TAMU buddies the last game when Tucker kicked the winner. I cannot wait to ignite this rivalry again. I’ll probably never be a big conference fanboy, but I am definitely more excited about the competition in the SEC. Fun years ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post

No doubt, but things change. Todays Austin is not the same as it was when you attended. It's what you are willing to tolerate or endure. Some embrace it, others dont. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer personally. It also depends what you are attending for.
              This is a CFB thread, the majority of these kids could care less about local politics.

Comment

Some good answers/responses, I agree with the majority.

Comment

Who gives a crap, get back to the football banter!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the SEC Vote goes in TU favor tomorrow, I am convinced it was mail-in ballots, no voter ID required. None of y’all can convince me otherwise.
                      Last edited by James; 07-28-2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

“ Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby tells @SINow that he has documented evidence that ESPN tried to encourage an unnamed conference to add Big 12 members in an effort to destabilize the league so Texas & OU could avoid exit fees.

"It is tortious interference," he says.”

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                          If the SEC Vote goes in TU favor tomorrow, I am convinced it was mail-in ballots, no voter ID required. None of y’all can convince me otherwise.
                          You are sorta right. Vote already happened between the bulk of them months ago. Tomorrow is a formality.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                            Who gives a crap, get back to the football banter!
                            There is no football banter lol, its late July! Why do you think this is happening now?

Comment

Pimp slapped

ESPN statement on the Big 12's cease and desist letter: “The claims in the letter have no merit.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X