DIY Cabin build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Cabin build

Building this 16x32 on my family land in Lodi, Tx. Have a small hunting cabin there now but I’m ready to have something nice the family can enjoy. I’ll update as progress happens.

Last days off i went out and worked 2-1/2 days getting the foundation done.

(36) 4x6 piers cemented in place and doubled up 2x6x16 treated beams. Then 2x6x16 joist 16” OC

Braced the joist before i left out for work. Will be back in a few weeks to install the sub floor and start framing walls.

Dug 12 with post hole diggers then decided to borrow a gas auger! Post are 4’ OC and beams are 5.33’ spaced

String line leveled post. Cut off with a chain saw and added beams. Ended up with in a few 1/100th of an inch of being perfectly square. (35.77’) I’ll take it and the 3/4” T&G decking will be true.

Screws a ripped 2x6 down the middle to keep the joist aligned till I can install some blocking.

Pretty much got plans finalized, I drew them on excel. Will frame a 8x32 porch off the front with 5 natural cedar tree post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Hix; 07-18-2021, 02:43 PM.

Looks like a cool project…I’ll follow along

Comment

Tuned in, looking good!

Comment

Nice design and build, your family will enjoy this for years, good luck.

Comment

Great project. Will follow along. Back in the day my wife taught at McLeod. Not to far from Lodi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ETX-Deerslayer View Post
            Great project. Will follow along. Back in the day my wife taught at McLeod. Not to far from Lodi.

My mom worked there. I went to Jefferson though.

I used to work at the gas plant out there too when i was in high school.

Comment

IN! I love me some cabin builds.

Comment

Nice, it looks like you've done this before.

Following.

Comment

In Love these threads

Comment

Looks awesome! Can I make one suggestion? Have the front door swing out. Won’t interfere with living space inside and will be harder to kick in if someone tried to bread in.

Comment

Off to an incredible start I see!

I’d be very interested in your total costs once finished up, if your open to that.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                        Looks awesome! Can I make one suggestion? Have the front door swing out. Won’t interfere with living space inside and will be harder to kick in if someone tried to bread in.

If you do this, make sure you drill and pin the hinges so the hinge pins can’t be removed.

Comment

No one is breaking into this place. My folks live out there.
                          It’s gated and a mile back in the woods. Haven’t had any issues in 100 years

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Looks like great plans.
                              My input after building our cabin is go heavy on the insulation and good windows
                              Should help your heating/ cooling unit run less and last longer.
                              And in the interior walls to keep things quiet.
                              I sure like an island for preparing and serving if there is room. More cabinet space also

Comment

Working...
                              X