No announcement yet.

200 Square Foot Tiny Workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for making the videos- I really enjoyed watching them and can’t wait for the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
      Thanks for making the videos- I really enjoyed watching them and can’t wait for the next one.
      Thanks so much! I like making these videos, though they're a ton of work.

If you haven't already, please consider subscribing on YouTube. The more folks I have following along, the more worth my while it is making the videos.

Cheers!

Comment

Looking good!!

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
          Great insight! Let me ask - should i put more focus on sheathing the rest of the walls, or getting the roofing finalized? I don't want the roof OSB to get ruined if we get a bunch of rain. Thoughts?

I would get the wall sheathing on before adding all that weight to the top. Roof decking gets rained on all the time, it’ll be fine when it dries out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This week I worked on getting the shop as closed in as I could. We've been getting a ton of rain down here, and I'm concerned about the constant moisture on all this raw wood.

I started out finalizing the fascia boards so I can start planning the roof installation.

Working by myself, I rely a lot on clamps and leverage (plus tons of up-and-down on ladders). To get things sealed up as much as possible before the next big storm, I focused on finalizing the sheathing on the walls. I'm using 1/2" styrofoam insulation panels to act as sheathing and vapor barrier, and taping it up with sheathing tape. I will attach Tyvex to the OSB corners to shore this all up, too.

I got this all done and taped the night before the last big storm came in. We got well over 5" of rain, and it kept out a decent amount of water. My next big focus is the roof, and hopefully I can get most of it done this weekend between rain storms. It's starting to look like a buiding!

The next video will go live later today, and I will post that up here once it's ready. I appreciate y'all following along!

Comment

How do you tackle large projects by yourself? My tip this week - use clamps, lots of clamps. The new episode is live!

Check it out here!
              https://youtu.be/3of73d9W2bA

As always, I'm open to feedback, suggestions, advice, and musings!

Comment

Make sure you install drip flashing. You probably know, but throwing it out there.

Looking great!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  Make sure you install drip flashing. You probably know, but throwing it out there.

Looking great!
                  Thanks! That's actually on my to-do list today. I'm hoping to get the roof done over the weekend, pending more rain in the forecast.

Comment

I would use wood as a drip or paint the fascia first before using metal. I've seen a lot of rotting behind metal drip flashing. I'm sure others will say they haven't seen any rotting but I have, just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                      I would use wood as a drip or paint the fascia first before using metal. I've seen a lot of rotting behind metal drip flashing. I'm sure others will say they haven't seen any rotting but I have, just my .02.
                      Oops, should have read this earlier. Metal flashing is up, as is half the roof. I'll try to get some primer and paint up behind the flashing as much as I can when I start on that process. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Comment

I got a lot done on the roof this week, just not all of it. I'm learning a ton as I go - namely, my own work process and making each step as efficient (and safe) as possible.

Putting down the tar paper by myself was cumbersome. It has a mind of its own, and I'll admit, I said one or two not-nice words through this process.

On the other hand, the drip edge was even easier than I expected. I actually enjoyed this part.

I tried different approaches to installing the shingles. The best way was to move up vertically (diagonally, with the offset courses) with 6-7 sheets at a time to minimize going up and down the ladder. Finding a magnetic wrist band in my garage for holding the nails was a game-changer, too.

I got one half of the roof complete with shingles, so I'll be working on the other half and the ridge shingles to finalize everything out. I'll be happy to have this part done. I'm really not a fan of ladders.

I'll post the link to this week's video shortly. Stay tuned!

Comment

Have you ever tackled a shingle roof by yourself?

Follow along as I learn by doing on this week's episode of the tiny workshop build!
                          https://youtu.be/C6D7duN3NB8

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
                            Have you ever tackled a shingle roof by yourself?

Follow along as I learn by doing on this week's episode of the tiny workshop build!
                            https://youtu.be/C6D7duN3NB8
                            Yuuuuuup! When I was twelve or thirteen. I tore off two layers, put down new felt and roofed my grandmother's house in La Grange. Every time I hear Charlie Robison sing about ". . . but La Grange was too ****ed hot" I think about that summer. Miserable. I don't recall how many squares it was but it was rough!

Comment

I got the roof done!!! Feels good to know that's complete, and I can take a break from the extension ladder for a while. We've had a couple of good storms since, and it seems to be doing its job keeping the rain out!

Once that was done, I wrapped the OSB corners in house wrap to get the walls sealed up before the siding goes on. My kiddo was interested in helping me, and she got to operate the air stapler (under heavy supervision), and had a blast with that.

I got the windows installed, flashed, and trimmed up. That all went fairly smooth, and they look good.

I'm getting a better idea of the space now that I have these openings complete. Next steps are to install the door, put up the siding, and get the soffits up. Then it should be completely dried in and ready to start on the electric and interior!

The next video is live, and I'll post the link below! Check it out, and as always, feel free to send me your questions, thoughts, and advice. It's all greatly appreciated!

Comment

Below is the link to the new video, where I complete the roof, wrap the corners, and install the windows.

Check out all the progress:
                                https://youtu.be/O06rHgrLmtQ

Thanks for everyone who is following along here, as well as the YouTube channel. Much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                                X