No announcement yet.

7mm Rem. Mag Accubonds vs. Ballistic Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoot the 140 grain Accubonds out of my 7 mag have had great success with them almost all of our shots are 150 yards and in.
    Last edited by The Gipper; 05-03-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      I know others here may like BTs. But man they are sketchy. Explosive. Like a grown up Vmax. Hard pass here!
      See and that's what I'm leery of out of a 7 Mag. They do wonders out of my -08, but it's not moving as fast either.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gipper View Post
        I shoot the 140 grain Accubonds out of my 7 mag have had great success with them almost all of our shots are 150 yards and in.
        Have ever used them beyond that range? I have shots that can be taken out to 300 yards so I have to be mindful of that as well.

Comment

7 mag with them cheap old Rem Cor-lokt psp boolits do unimaginable things to critters. They blow the guts right out of them and destroy half the meat no matter what distance. Dead is dead however.

Nosler BT's have a thinner jacket and disrupt easier than an accubond which has a tapered jacket that is thicker at the base. Both are good bullets but the Accubond is better at range and thru bone. I use both plus Barnes TSX and TTSX in my .338WSM custom all in 185gr and 200gr and all of them put big hogs on their butts no matter where they get hit. The BST's do much more meat damage than the others especially thru the shoulder shots.
          My 338WSM can send 185 barnes out at 3240 fps and 200's at 3050 but I load them down to 2800-2900 for hunting. 26" Shilen barrel.

Comment

I have not we have a few places that you could shoot out well over 300 yards if the opportunity presented itself but I don't hunt those areas much. I would not think twice about it though.

Comment

OP, if you typically shoot through shoulders as you state above, the Accubond would be a much better choice over the more frangible Ballistic Tip. And, I'd personally favor the heavier bullet, regardless of range. I have both 160gr Accubond and Partition loads developed for my 7RM. I do use Ballistic Tips, but only in 100gr in my .257AI and restricted to heart/lung shots. I also have a 110gr Accubond load for that rifle that is my primary hunting load for it.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                I don’t buy into this theory AT ALL. Velocity is what makes a traditional Bullet expand, that’s why they have a minimum velocity expansion threshold. The upper velocity threshold represents the maximum velocity that the bullet would hold together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                I 100% agree... It's bullet design and velocity everyday, all day.. I have been hunting with a 7MM mag for 30+ years and guiding for many more than 3 and have never seen the crap I'm reading in this thread.. I can shoot any deer in this state with a 140
                Grain Sierra GK and kill it every time.. Granted 2 of my 7mags like 160's better but they kill also.. The last bullet I would try to hunt deer with is a Barnes... Especially the heavier Barnes.. Bullet choice is all about alpication.... The right application and the correct shot placement will kill them every time you pull the trigger.. Usually it is latter happening when Mr Hindes has to be called or both..
                If you want to blow a deer off of his feet hit him with a 120gr Sierra traveling 3400fps..

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Maybe because you recommended they shoot that **** Barnes?
                  Agree with Bucknaked. I've reloaded the barnes TTSX for my 7mag and use a 120gr bullet. Accuracy kills and these bullets are very accurate once you get the right load. What these bullets do to the internals is amazing, they don't waste hardly any meat, but are devastating to the heart/lungs (Hydrostatic Shock). I also neck shoot... Love them! See ballistic gelatin video on the barnes bullets...

Stxbuckman,

The Accubonds are a blend of the ballistic tips. The first part of the Accubond acts like a balistic tip and the other half is bonded together for penetration kind of like the old partition bullet, but without the shank. The ballistic tip is awesome and very accurate if you are shooting past the 300yd + mark. My 30+ years of reloading has giving me some great insight both on the reloading bench, target range and on the game that I harvest...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQx2eHpDVnE"]Barnes Triple Shock Bullet Devastates Ballistic Gel - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                    I 100% agree... It's bullet design and velocity everyday, all day.. I have been hunting with a 7MM mag for 30+ years and guiding for many more than 3 and have never seen the crap I'm reading in this thread.. I can shoot any deer in this state with a 140
                    Grain Sierra GK and kill it every time.. Granted 2 of my 7mags like 160's better but they kill also.. The last bullet I would try to hunt deer with is a Barnes... Especially the heavier Barnes.. Bullet choice is all about alpication.... The right application and the correct shot placement will kill them every time you pull the trigger.. Usually it is latter happening when Mr Hindes has to be called or both..
                    If you want to blow a deer off of his feet hit him with a 120gr Sierra traveling 3400fps..
                    What ammo manufacturers use Sierra Game Kings bullets?

Comment

I shoot both in 7mm-08, 7mm and used to in a 270wsm. For whitetails, If you are shooting shoulder go with Accubonds and if you are going for lungs/heart ballistic tips.

Comment

I wish somebody would have told me that a 7mm mag don't kill worth a crap sooner. Over 40 years shooting one and it has worked just fine for me. And with cup and core bullets at that. But I don't gut shoot. I don't know what the best bullet for doing that happens to be. Hit them in the right place and down they go. Hit them in the shoulder and that bullets works great. Hit them in the gut and blame that sorry azz bullet for not working right.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          What ammo manufacturers use Sierra Game Kings bullets?
                          Our GameChanger ammunition is the result of more than 70 years of designing world-class bullets. Each GameChanger round utilizes a Sierra Tipped GameKing bullet with an extremely accurate boat tail profile and a polymer tip seated in a hollow point design for fast expansion upon impact. A lead core encased in a thick, tough copper jacket delivers outstanding penetration and controlled expansion at any range. 3000 FPS with a 150 grain Tipped Gameking that has a G1 BC of .545. Sierra’s 7MM Remington Magnum Gamechanger ammunition will allow you to stretch your range out a little further and hit a little harder than what you are use to. The perfect choice for multi-purpose ammunition, you can feel confident on Whitetail to Bull Elk. Superior accuracy combined with devastating stopping power, this one does it all. What else can you ask from your ammunition? Click to view trajectory chart.

But I hand load.

Comment

Originally posted by Spino~ View Post
                            Agree with Bucknaked. I've reloaded the barnes TTSX for my 7mag and use a 120gr bullet. Accuracy kills and these bullets are very accurate once you get the right load. What these bullets do to the internals is amazing, they don't waste hardly any meat, but are devastating to the heart/lungs (Hydrostatic Shock). I also neck shoot... Love them! See ballistic gelatin video on the barnes bullets...

Stxbuckman,

The Accubonds are a blend of the ballistic tips. The first part of the Accubond acts like a balistic tip and the other half is bonded together for penetration kind of like the old partition bullet, but without the shank. The ballistic tip is awesome and very accurate if you are shooting past the 300yd + mark. My 30+ years of reloading has giving me some great insight both on the reloading bench, target range and on the game that I harvest...

Barnes Triple Shock Bullet Devastates Ballistic Gel - YouTube
                            The 120 would probably be good but my son shot a black buck with a 150gr TSX out of his 7mm Mag and we were able to retrieve the bullet.. Expansion was very minimal at best.. The BB was DRT though..
                            It would be a great Elk, Oryx or Aoudad bullet..

Comment

i shot the 140 grain ballistic tip in mine.

Performance was fine. For deer i would not use an accubond

Comment

Well...your shooting whitetails, so I really don't see the point in spending the extra $$ messing with the other factory ammo. Dead is dead, and Corp Lokts will kill a deer just fine in the situations your asking about. I use them for Aoudad, and had no issue knocking down the 31.5 in Ram hanging on my wall. Shot several Whitetail as well, and aimed behind the shoulder to save meat. I'm not sure why you're looking at the other to loads unless you're just bored. If it ain't broke....

Comment

Working...
                                X