Youth Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Rifle

Any recommendations on a good youth model "first deer rifle"? I have a bunch of 22-250 ammo so I'm thinking about staying with that caliber.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Man, I absolutely hate to say it but the Savage axis and Ruger shoot extremely well and can be had for less than $400.00. Personal preference but I would step up to a 6.5-7 mm. My thoughts are to make sure he has enough gun for just about any deer/hog situation. Just my two cents since you asked for recommendations.

Comment

My son shot browning micro hunter 22-250. If yiu can find one it would be a excellent choice. It’s been a outstanding gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought both my kids Thompson Encore. Mine shot 223 for years. I also bought several different calibers and put exact optics on each of them. So kids could go shoot 223 at paper and when killing small deer. Move up critter just swap barrel and kid didnt even have to know. My youngest was killing stuff with a 30-06 at 7 or 8 years old and never noticed recoil because he only shot it at critters.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
          My son shot browning micro hunter 22-250. If yiu can find one it would be a excellent choice. It’s been a outstanding gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I have about 4-5 more years before I buy my girl her first deer rifle but this is on the short list for me. In 22-250 as well.

Comment

Reduced recoil rounds out of a 7mm-08 purrs like a kitten, and can just about do anything once they get bigger for regular recoil rounds

Comment

I vote for a Howa mini in grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                I bought both my kids Thompson Encore. Mine shot 223 for years. I also bought several different calibers and put exact optics on each of them. So kids could go shoot 223 at paper and when killing small deer. Move up critter just swap barrel and kid didnt even have to know. My youngest was killing stuff with a 30-06 at 7 or 8 years old and never noticed recoil because he only shot it at critters.
                that is a great idea

Comment

Originally posted by Muleyhunter View Post
                  Reduced recoil rounds out of a 7mm-08 purrs like a kitten, and can just about do anything once they get bigger for regular recoil rounds
                  Agree 100%. I have been really impressed with this combo.

Comment

x2 on the Ruger Axis. I gave my son a .223 Axis Compact for his 7th birthday a couple years ago. He will probably shoot it 1 or 2 more seasons and we will bump to a larger caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Muleyhunter View Post
                      x3 on this. I would personally look for a rifle with an adjustable stock that is threaded so they can keep and use it as they grow. You get the right set up and you'll never have to worry about buying another.

Comfort = Confidence when it comes to the young ones
                      Last edited by Hockley; 05-04-2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                        Man, I absolutely hate to say it but the Savage axis and Ruger shoot extremely well and can be had for less than $400.00. Personal preference but I would step up to a 6.5-7 mm. My thoughts are to make sure he has enough gun for just about any deer/hog situation. Just my two cents since you asked for recommendations.
                        I ordered him a savage Axis XP Youth, True Timber Camo in .350 Legend. I did some research and that gun is going to be awesome with a suppressor on it!!!!!!

Comment

I can't wait for him to shoot it!

Comment

H&R handi rifle 22" heavy barrel
                            I know...not the best name brand, but I have one and maybe I was just lucky, but this thing shoots lights out dead center at 100yds and 200yds. No lie.

I love this gun.

No recoil.

only single bad thing; its a single shot.
                            but, it being a single shot has made me a whole lot better shooter. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                              I can't wait for him to shoot it!

For him or for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X