Help w/deck cover build on gable end of house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/deck cover build on gable end of house

Figure there will be someone here that can give a few tips/suggestions...

Making plans to start a covered deck build off the back of my house (gable end). I would prefer to do a matching pitched roof over the deck by tying into a section of the existing roof...the new cover will be significantly smaller than the expanse of the current width and roof of the house (see pic). current roof is shingle and the covered deck will be metal. This is a pier and beam house.

My questions are...
    ...(1 on pic) should I tie in from outside of the eave of the of the house? If so, should the new cover be slightly below the shingle line? I assume that I should not try to make the shingle and metal roof lines flush? Or, at least I don't know how to tie them together, if so.
    ...(2 on pic)if I do the above, what do I do with the space under the eave on the "left slope" in pic? Do I somehow wrap the roof back under the eave and attach to the wall of the house?

...a simple solution would seem to be just build the new cover totally under the existing eave, attaching to the wall of the house. Just not sure of this look....opinions?
    ...another simple solution would be to just build a straight lean-to cover, but I'd prefer the matching pitched roof.

Hopefully I've explained well enough, but I'm sure there may need to be more questions for clarification.

Thanks for any help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	house scketch of back deck cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	877.3 KB
ID:	25247519

If it were mine and I had the height available, i would offset the new build under the eave but keep the same pitch. 2 different roof materials are going to be difficult to tie in and not create a possible leak.

Comment

Vote 2 for putting it under the existing eave. I think it would look fine and one of those things that no one notices except you.

Comment

X3

Comment

X4.

Comment

Working...
          X