Texas surf shark fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
    If I can give my opinion on Avets ( I have 10 of them) spend the extra money and get the Raptor. The drag on the Raptor is better than the single speed MC and the Raptor is MC also. If you do hook something big you will want that extra drag, the MXL Raptor I believe is like 21# at strike and 31# at full and its a 2 speed reel. The MXL MC single speed is 9# at strike and 14# at full and only single speed. I bought several single speed AVets and have sold them all after replacing them with the Raptors. I have a 9' custom surf rod and can sling 8oz weights and bait 100 yards with the MXL Raptor, Thats far enough for me where I fish. I love the Raptors JMO.

To add to this, if you plan to use the drag a raptor has then spool the reel accordingly. Without knowing what everyone’s line preference is I say that as a blanket statement. Some guys prefer all mono and consider 20-30lb mono heavy.
    But if you’re one of those guys that runs braid in a fashion that’s “heavy for class” then carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
      To add to this, if you plan to use the drag a raptor has then spool the reel accordingly. Without knowing what everyone’s line preference is I say that as a blanket statement. Some guys prefer all mono and consider 20-30lb mono heavy.
      But if you’re one of those guys that runs braid in a fashion that’s “heavy for class” then carry on.
      Great point, too light of braid and you'll bury the line in itself and cause breakoffs when casting. I am one of those heavy for class guys you speak of. I run straight braid on all my reels now except for my 80Ws where I do still run a mono topshot. I run 100# straight hollow core braid on my HXWs, 80# on LX and 60 on MXL and SXs. Still get better line capacity than mono and the strength and castability of braid. I've played with many different line types and sizes and am pretty happy with where I'm at now for the way and places I fish.

Comment

Ditto. Light casting reels I’ll use straight 50 pound braid and sometimes a short shock leader of mono.

Heavy casters 65-80 lb. braid
        4/0w and 6/0w’s or 30w’s: 100- 130 lb. braid usually
        50w’s: 130-150 lb. braid
        80w’s: 150-200 lb. braid

On the bigger reels I usually do 250lb braid topshot. Occasionally I’ll use a 130-150 mono shock leader if the currents not bad.

On gorda I’ll rarely take anything bigger than my 6/0 wides. (Just don’t need them)
        If I know I have big baits to run or want more distance I’ll take the 50w’s.
        Generally save my 50’s for PINS and I need to get atleast one 80w again if I’m gonna make regular trips there.

Only advice I can really give for guys that are new to using straight braid. Be mindful of the less/no stretch factor. Much easier to pull/straighten hooks when running all braid and heavy drag.
        Last edited by SwampBuck; 04-27-2021, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Lots of good line info thanks fellas

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
            Ditto. Light casting reels I’ll use straight 50 pound braid and sometimes a short shock leader of mono.

Heavy casters 65-80 lb. braid
            4/0w and 6/0w’s or 30w’s: 100- 130 lb. braid usually
            50w’s: 130-150 lb. braid
            80w’s: 150-200 lb. braid

On the bigger reels I usually do 250lb braid topshot. Occasionally I’ll use a 130-150 mono shock leader if the currents not bad.

On gorda I’ll rarely take anything bigger than my 6/0 wides. (Just don’t need them)
            If I know I have big baits to run or want more distance I’ll take the 50w’s.
            Generally save my 50’s for PINS and I need to get atleast one 80w again if I’m gonna make regular trips there.

Only advice I can really give for guys that are new to using straight braid. Be mindful of the less/no stretch factor. Much easier to pull/straighten hooks when running all braid and heavy drag.
            Let me know when you are ready for a new 80W, I'm upgrading to the TRXs this year and have 2 EXW 2 speeds that I will be parting with soon.

Comment

How much will you be asking for a 80w

Comment

Hey I’m heading to Matagorda the last week in July. I’m looking for 2 big jacks and 2 cow nose rays. I’m would be glad to give you some gas money if you happen to have any

Comment

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
                  Let me know when you are ready for a new 80W, I'm upgrading to the TRXs this year and have 2 EXW 2 speeds that I will be parting with soon.
                  Nice, post pics when you get it. That’s awesome

Comment

Originally posted by joevillars View Post
                    Hey I’m heading to Matagorda the last week in July. I’m looking for 2 big jacks and 2 cow nose rays. I’m would be glad to give you some gas money if you happen to have any
                    Location? We usually try to avoid catching jacks and I know where we can gig some rays to fill a boat full. I might could bring some home if you're nearby.

Comment

I live in Arlington.

Comment

Originally posted by joevillars View Post
                        How much will you be asking for a 80w
                        I have 2 1 silver and 1 blue spooled with 1500 yds 150# diamond momoi and topped off with 150# mono topshot new line never fished and the reels are in perfect shape. With the Avet reel covers and 4 post rod clamps that I'd sell for 800 each. The reels are 750 new without line or cover and come with 2 post rod clamps most of the time so I think they are easily worth that. Might have a custom roller rod Id let go too if someone was interested in horsing in some beasts. I can text pics if you PM your number

Comment

That’s a good deal there

Comment

Wish I could just not in need of one that bad at the moment.
                            Want yes...need, no

Comment

New saltists
                              Attached Files

Comment

New to long distance casting
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X