Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joel1618 View Post
    Mind me asking where you got that galvanized water trough? I'm was thinking of building a concrete one but decided to go the galvanized route due to weight of the concrete.

That well project is awesome!
    I just bought a galvanized metal tub from Tractor supply for it. I think it cost 14.99.

Comment

I have so enjoyed this thread. I wish I knew you personally because you're the type of person that I enjoy being around. You don't cut corners you do it right the first time.

Congratulations on a job very well done. That house will be there long after we're gone.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
        Very cool. Any idea of how good of a water vein you hit?
        At this point we are not sure exactly how big the vein is, the only thing that they could tell me is that "we have a well not a dry hole" They will be installing the solar water pump next week so we should have a better idea in terms of gallons per minute. We expect to get between 4-6 gpm. At that rate we should be able to fill our 3K tank in 2 days or less. Considering we have been using a 275g tote that I fill 3/4 of the way once a month, we shouldn't have any issues with water. Of course we have been very conservative with our water use (shower times etc.) up till now. We can be a little more liberal and even water the plants a bit now hopefully.

Comment

I made a trip out the ranch on Friday afternoon. When I arrived I got a call from the well contractor. He told me that they are going to start the install of the solar pump sometime this week. He told me that my well was 445' deep and that water table is at 283. That means that I have 162' of water in my pipe. I am not exactly sure if that is good, great or really what that means. Maybe one of you can tell me if that is good or not. Either way we do have water!!!

Since I was by myself I decided to get some electrical and gas line work done. I installed 2 new electrical outlets for the TV, one inside the cabin and one outside. Pic 1 is the inside and pic 2 is the outside. The outside one does not have the weatherproof cover on it when I took the picture. Getting those installed and wired in was all I got done Friday.

Saturday morning I was woke by a thunderstorm at 4:30AM. It was all bark and no bite so only a little bit of rain but enough makes things wet. I decided to stain the wooden barn doors and stain a faux chair rail on the wall that has the barn doors and the ladder. I think staining them and adding the chair rail really tied in the color of the ladder and cabinets. Pics 3-5.

After that I needed to add the iron gas lines for the permanent 120gallon propane tank I am getting delivered. This propane tank will only be used for heating inside the cabin and for the shower. I ran the lines under the front deck of the cabin and came up through the floor for Heater. Pics 6-8

Updated the Final cabin plan with propane tank location Pic 9.

My wife and her friend will be coming with me next weekend. we are going to do a shrimp and crawfish boil Friday night. Hopefully we can get the new water well plumbed in the cabin this weekend!!

Thanks again for all the kind comments they are much appreciated and if know anything about wells please let me know your thoughts on the water level I mentioned in the first paragraph.
          Attached Files

Comment

In my experience, it will be a net positive that you have water stored in your well pipe. All of ours do, and they have been good wells.

Comment

I went to the ranch this past weekend and got a few Items removed from my punch list.

Friday:

I added solar rope lights to the bathroom. These lights are just enough to find your way inside and turn on the main light. They also look awesome at night. (Pics 1-3)

The water well company showed up Friday to install the solar pump. They were able to set the pole and get the pump installed. They connected the pump to a generator to test and water flowed. It was good clear and clean water at a estimated rate of 5gal a min. (Pic 4) They had to leave after that and Monday they returned to get the panels installed and the water flowing to the 3K gallon tank we provided. (Pics 5&6)

Saturday:

I wired in and connected the electrical plugs in the bedrooms.
              I got the bottom Galvanized steel trim installed on the exterior corners. pics (7&8)
              I got the stain completed on the inside of 2nd bedroom barn door (Pic 9) as well as the trim under the kitchen cabinets.

After that I enjoyed the company of a few of my neighbors and then took in the sunset. The sunset was particularly nice Saturday evening. These pictures I took were not doctored in any way. The orange in the sky was just amazing. (Pics 10-12)

Sunday:

I installed the outdoor sink. (Pics 13-15)

The local propane company is installing the 120gal propane tank and connecting it to the house today (Tuesday 4-13-2021) Next time I go out I will get a picture of the set tank.
              Attached Files

Comment

Things are really coming together out there. Great work!

Comment

The place looks amazing! You have skills!

Comment

i've been following your build and it looks great. I'm doing the same thing right now and I've been at it for two years. Work on it Saturdays and Sundays and any other time I can squeeze some time in. I can appreciate all of the hard work you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                      i've been following your build and it looks great. I'm doing the same thing right now and I've been at it for two years. Work on it Saturdays and Sundays and any other time I can squeeze some time in. I can appreciate all of the hard work you are doing.
                      That is awesome! Do you have a thread here to follow? I would love to keep up with your progress too.

Comment

What kind of a pump/pressure tank system are you using to get your water from that 3000 gal tank, into your house?

I just finished a cabin project, and have a similar set-up, but am having issues w/ low water pressure, which i think is causing my on-demand hot water heater to fail. I have a 1500 gal tank, fed by a solar well.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                          What kind of a pump/pressure tank system are you using to get your water from that 3000 gal tank, into your house?

I just finished a cabin project, and have a similar set-up, but am having issues w/ low water pressure, which i think is causing my on-demand hot water heater to fail. I have a 1500 gal tank, fed by a solar well.
                          I have an RV pump in the bathroom that feeds the on demand shower water heater.

I just added an new outdoor sink on the deck last time I was out. This weekend I will be going out there to remove the tote water supply and connect to the 3000 gallon tank. The tank is about 10 feet higher in elevation from the house. I am hoping this will be enough water pressure, without needing another pump for this sink. Since I am not gonna have hot water at this sink (for now anyway) pressure shouldnt be an issue. IF i ever want hot water at this sink I would buy a new pump and place the heater under the sink.

I have purchased 2 different water pumps for the bathroom. They both work well, but the first one was really loud and didnt have as much pressure. That one ran me 29.99 on amazon. In October 2020 I bought another pump mainly because of the noise. I read the reviews of this new pump and decided to buy it. I did not install it until after the freeze in 2021. Man i wish I had done it earlier. It is super quite and has better pressure. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                          Attached Files

Comment

Not yet

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
                            That is awesome! Do you have a thread here to follow? I would love to keep up with your progress too.
                            I haven't started a thread yet. It's a slow build but is starting to come along now.

Comment

Started a new one

Started a new thread on my build but I don't move as quickly as you do. It's taken me two years to get to where I'm at now and figure I'll be one more year before I'm finished.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
                                Started a new thread on my build but I don't move as quickly as you do. It's taken me two years to get to where I'm at now and figure I'll be one more year before I'm finished.
                                Just found your thread.... all I can say is AWESOME!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X