Beef Stroganoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Stroganoff

This is by far the best Stroganoff I’ve ever eaten. Use any kind of meat you like but game meat is preferred.
    The cooking time line is kinda long at three hours and it isn’t set in stone but I like it so the meat is really tender and a good gravy forms.

Ingredients:

1/2-1cup of flour (what ever it takes to coat the meat.)

1 tablespoon olive oil

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 1/2 pounds stew meat (I used buffalo but any venison is great), cut into thin strips about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide

2 cups button mushrooms, sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium white onion, sliced

2 cups beef stock

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons grainy mustard

1 bay leaf

4 sprigs fresh thyme

12 ounces extra-wide egg noodles

1 cup sour cream

3 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes and softened

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

1/2 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped

Directions
    * In a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, add the oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Heat until the butter is melted and the oil is hot. Place the flour, salt, pepper and stew meat in a plastic baggie and shake until meat is fully coated. Add the meat in batches and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side; set aside. Add the mushrooms, garlic and onion to the pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and slightly tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the meat back along with the beef stock, soy sauce, mustard and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, using a wooden spoon to scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot, and simmer, covered, until tender, about 2 hours and 50 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
    * Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the egg noodles in the boiling water according to the package instructions. Drain the noodles and transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the noodles, stirring to melt the butter and distribute it.
    * Add the sour cream and cream cheese to the stroganoff and stir to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
    * In a serving dish, place the egg noodles in an even layer and top with the stroganoff. Garnish with the chopped parsley.
    Last edited by Geezy Rider; 04-12-2021, 11:55 AM.

Gonna have to try this!

Comment

Love stroganoff. My mouth waters just reading the recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
        This is by far the best Stroganoff I’ve ever eaten. Use any kind of meat you like but game meat is preferred.
        The cooking time line is kinda long at three hours and it isn’t set in stone but I like it so the meat is really tender and a good gravy forms.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 1/2 pounds stew meat (I used buffalo but any venison is great), cut into thin strips about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups beef stock

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 bay leaf

4 sprigs fresh thyme

1 cup sour cream

Directions
        * In a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot over medium-high heat, add the oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Heat until the butter is melted and the oil is hot. Place the flour, salt, pepper and stew meat in a plastic baggie and shake until meat is fully coated. Add the meat in batches and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side; set aside. Add the mushrooms, garlic and onion to the pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and slightly tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Add the meat back along with the beef stock, soy sauce, mustard and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, using a wooden spoon to scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot, and simmer, covered, until tender, about 2 hours and 50 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
        * Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the egg noodles in the boiling water according to the package instructions. Drain the noodles and transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the noodles, stirring to melt the butter and distribute it.
        * Add the sour cream and cream cheese to the stroganoff and stir to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
        * In a serving dish, place the egg noodles in an even layer and top with the stroganoff. Garnish with the chopped parsley.
        Made this last night and it was perfect. Great recipe.

Comment

What do you call a bull with no cows in heat. Beef strokenoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups beef stock

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 bay leaf

4 sprigs fresh thyme

1 cup sour cream

Directions
            Sounds great, will need to try this, thanks for posting.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe- Want to try this one.

Comment

Here’s a tip you might like: Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of brandy to your pot right before you add the beef stock (be sure to turn off your flame while you add it—highly flammable!). Stir it to loosen the fond on the bottom of your pot, then add the rest of your ingredients and proceed as usual. I’m telling you, this will take your stroganoff from good to great.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  Here’s a tip you might like: Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of brandy to your pot right before you add the beef stock (be sure to turn off your flame while you add it—highly flammable!). Stir it to loosen the fond on the bottom of your pot, then add the rest of your ingredients and proceed as usual. I’m telling you, this will take your stroganoff from good to great.
                  Sounds like a winner.

Comment

Working...
                  X