300wm, 7mag or 30-06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
    Yes, I know, another caliber question. Please read before you chime in. A friend and I are having full custom rifles made by a maker in the gun guild. Is this a once in a lifetime build? No, probably not, but likely won’t own a pile of guns like this so caliber selection is a little more important on this build.
    So the question is: do I go with the do all 300wm which is capable of taking all the animals in North America and most of the African game? I consider the .300wm to be over gunned for Texas whitetails (which is what I almost exclusively hunt at this point in my life). Or, should I go with a caliber that’s a little more pleasing to shoot and better suited for whitetails and hogs yet enough gun for larger game?

I’d love for this gun to be “the gun” that I always want to grab for my hunts.
    Considering what you hunt, have you considered a 270? It will do everything you need and more.

Comment

I just built a .300WM so perhaps I'm biased.

I don't think it's over gunned on Texas Whitetail by any means.

You'll be happy with this decision out of those calibers.

Comment

I guess I need to add: these guns will be threaded for suppressors. That detail might be necessary to help make a decision...I guess

Comment

7mm Mag for Texas and 99% of anything else in US. 300 WM for International & US.

That said, if it were me, I'd be trying to decide between 28 Nosler and 30 Nosler.

Comment

Lots of time with all 3 and very partial to fast running heavies in 7 mag. And a I’ll always favor a 300 win. Totally depends on what your components are as well. The 300 is more versatile than a 30-06. It’ll still load down as low as the 06 but has the capacity to be loaded much higher. If recoil is an issue then just slide over and run a 280 AI. I still prefer the 7 mag but it’s a good option.

There’s no such thing as too much gun. Dead is dead.

What’s this build going to look like? Wood stocked?

Comment

If you reload, then definitely the 30-06. You can develop reduced loads and load ammo that will be every bit as effective as the 300wm. It is difficult to detune a magnum and still retain accuracy, though not impossible.

Comment

30.06 would be a great choice. Also .280ai might be another to look at. 7mag Preformance and less recoil. Very flat shooting.

Comment

All 3 are great all around choices. Honestly, right now I'd do a hard search on availability of components and/or loaded ammo before you make the choice. I'm a big 7mag fan, but right now brass and even bullets are very hard to find - you can do it but it takes some searching.

The 7 mag with modern bullets is very versatile - can shoot 140gr loads up to 195gr (with the proper twist rate). I like the mid 160's-180gr range as I don't feel that's too much for whitetails but could also take just about any animal you'd want to hunt.

It's not on your list, but a 7 SAUM is my favorite caliber right now. Good speed, great accuracy and very mild recoiling. The 7 mag shoots the same bullets but a couple hundred fps faster.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    Lots of time with all 3 and very partial to fast running heavies in 7 mag. And a I’ll always favor a 300 win. Totally depends on what your components are as well. The 300 is more versatile than a 30-06. It’ll still load down as low as the 06 but has the capacity to be loaded much higher. If recoil is an issue then just slide over and run a 280 AI. I still prefer the 7 mag but it’s a good option.

There’s no such thing as too much gun. Dead is dead.

What’s this build going to look like? Wood stocked?
                    It will look fairly fancy. Wood stock to fit my measurements, hand checkered, hand...everything. A true custom. Johnny (Crimson Accuracy) will be doing the bedding and likely fitting the barrel/action. The rest will be done by Jeff Tapp.

Comment

7mm for the reasons you list

Comment

For the calibers you mentioned, 7rem mag.
                        If you hand load, there are some newer/better rounds out there. (example: 300 PRC)

Comment

Originally posted by LHPanther View Post
                          It will look fairly fancy. Wood stock to fit my measurements, hand checkered, hand...everything. A true custom. Johnny (Crimson Accuracy) will be doing the bedding and likely fitting the barrel/action. The rest will be done by Jeff Tapp.
                          He’s in Austin? PM me his pricing if you don’t mind. Just on the wood stock

Comment

7 mag

Comment

Honestly with those 3 calibers you’re sort of splitting hairs. The 30-06 will easily kill anything in North America. I’ve killed elk with my 7mm and 30-06, no problems with either. I’ve watched a B&C Alaska moose go down from a 7mm 167 gr bullets. All 3 will do exactly what you could ever want and need in a hunting rifle.

If it was me I’d choose the caliber I don’t already have just because I like having rifles in all different calibers. Since you’re going wood, I’d go with the 06 for nostalgia but that’s me.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                                Honestly with those 3 calibers you’re sort of splitting hairs. The 30-06 will easily kill anything in North America. I’ve killed elk with my 7mm and 30-06, no problems with either. I’ve watched a B&C Alaska moose go down from a 7mm 167 gr bullets. All 3 will do exactly what you could ever want and need in a hunting rifle.

If it was me I’d choose the caliber I don’t already have just because I like having rifles in all different calibers. Since you’re going wood, I’d go with the 06 for nostalgia but that’s me.
                                I think this is exactly where my mind keeps taking me. I currently own all 3 calibers but do agree that it’s almost splitting hairs with the 3 choices I’ve presented. Nostalgia is what keeps drawing me back to the 06. It’s also the most mild recoil of the 3 IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X