Old Barbed Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Barbed Wire

Some of you might have seen my thread of old antiques for sale. These came from the same house I am clearing out to rebuild.

I almost threw a box away but felt some weight in it and dug to the bottom. All trash on top and then all these strands of barbed wire through the years. So I figured out what the trash was on top. It was all the papers and research to date these. There are numbers on each strand.

All the research and papers are gone, they were just shreds and brittle pieces falling apart. Wasn't even one full page that was in tact.

So I know nothing about them other than, they are old and my grand mother LOVES this kind of thing. I am going to put them on some wood I took out of the place these were found. Just need to find a cool way to mount them AND more importantly, date them again.

Was thinking I will put a little label under each one, with the year range it was used.

Reason I am posting this is for some help on where to start researching the age. TBH always amazes me with the knowledge here.

I can take better photos, I just broke up the main shot into 3. I wrapped them all up and stored them for now.
    Attached Files

There is a barbed wire collectors group on Facebook. I'd join that.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
      There is a barbed wire collectors group on Facebook. I'd join that.
      Good idea thanks!

Comment

Cool find, and a real shame all the research on the barbed wire was lost. Post up some pics when you get the wire mounted.

Comment

Very nice find. I have a display with name and years hanging in house. I recognize some of yours. You have some old pieces.

Comment

That's pretty cool! Have u seen the segment on Texas hill country report of the barber wire museum? It's a pretty cool segment.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shiner78 View Post
                That's pretty cool! Have u seen the segment on Texas hill country report of the barber wire museum? It's a pretty cool segment.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
                I have not, will check it out, thank you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chicken fried View Post
                  Very nice find. I have a display with name and years hanging in house. I recognize some of yours. You have some old pieces.
                  Can you share a pic of yours for mounting ideas?

Comment

I think this place is going to be my ticket to dating everything.

They have a book I can order or might just have to road trip it sometime. Looks like a cool place.

Comment

There's a store in Calvert that has a flat filing cabinet full of trays of barb wire. The owner and his dad collected them over the years and did the research on them. He has all of the information.

The store is the Cowboy Up furniture store.

Here's something that might help with a few of those.
                      Attached Files

Comment

That is awesome!!! Thank you ma'am!!

Comment

This should help me out! Ordered this from the Devil's Rope Museum in the Panhandle
                          Attached Files

Comment

I bought a bundle of old bob wire in San Antonio years ago. I made a wall display for my dad. I recognize some of yours, i t makes a great display.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                              This should help me out! Ordered this from the Devil's Rope Museum in the Panhandle
                              Awesome!! I must get this book!

Comment

Working...
                              X