No announcement yet.

Moving a Gun Safe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine was 800# and laying down in PU bed...Hardest part was gettin it in ground standing up without damage with 2 men and still haveing all your fingers

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Stand it up. It can beat up the door and hardware bouncing in the truck.
      I've moved my safes, 600 and 1000, laid down on a flatbed, no problems whatsoever.

Comment

You don’t mention the size of the safe. Mine is 1800# empty. Rent a drop deck trailer rather than laying it down. The trailer deck drops down to ground level and uses hydraulics to raise it for transport. Strap it down like Spiderman. Pallet jack or pipe rollers to move around. Golf balls to move over carpet.

Comment

Last time I moved mine I rented a truck with a lift gate(made it easy). Moving it to and from the truck, I tilted it and my wife rolled golf balls underneath. On a tile floor I could easily move and turn it with one hand. The hardest part was getting the balls out from under it afterward but even that wasn’t too difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
            Mine was 800# and laying down in PU bed...Hardest part was gettin it in ground standing up without damage with 2 men and still haveing all your fingers
            Ditto on mine.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve laid a small safe in a truck with clean moving blankets over a sheet of plywood. My big safe- 800# I put on a pallet , blanketed and strapped down and had a lift gate courier we use through work follow me 8 miles to our new house. They have pallet jacks in the trucks, just assist them loading and securing. We put a commercial freezer and a few other heavy/large items in the truck and I think it was less than $2oo

Comment

Thanks for all the information and input guys!
                It isn't a huge safe - maybe a 16 gun safe - don't exactly remember.
                I have a flatbed trailer I will take with me and make the game time decision about the truck bed vs the trailer for the gun safe along with everything else that I need to move.

Comment

The gun safe move went well. It is a Liberty/Cabelas safe and I ended up laying it down on its back on some pallets with the door remaining unlocked during the move.
                  Everything turned out great.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                    I've moved my safes, 600 and 1000, laid down on a flatbed, no problems whatsoever.
                    I can’t speak for small safes. But the big ones they specifically tell you not to lay them down. It will damage them. But do as you please with your own stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                      The gun safe move went well. It is a Liberty/Cabelas safe and I ended up laying it down on its back on some pallets with the door remaining unlocked during the move.

Good deal!

Comment

moved a safe for a friend
                        quality furniture dolly
                        ply wood
                        small trailer
                        golf balls
                        5 friends
                        24 pk. cold beer
                        1500 lb. safe-no problem
                        Plan your approach, these things are heavy. You do not want to do work twice.
                        Sam J.

Comment

I’ve moved 1000’s over 15 years. Laying them down is the way to go with a piece of PVC under it to roll up in the bed, make sure it’s on its back however and the pvc is out for driving. They come out way easier than going in... Make sure to lay ply wood on tile or hardwood. If you need more help PM me and I’ll try to help any way I can.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                            How did you do it?
                            Mine is still laying down

Comment

Originally posted by DRettele View Post
                              [emoji817]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                                I can’t speak for small safes. But the big ones they specifically tell you not to lay them down. It will damage them. But do as you please with your own stuff.
                                Look at post 27. He's got a lot more experience than you. Like I said, laying down is just fine, not some hearsay.

Comment

Working...
                                X