Elk hunt Ennis Montana area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk hunt Ennis Montana area

A few buddies of mine are wanting me to go elk hunting with them in Montana again this year. It's South of Bozeman MT and just East of Hwy 287 in the Fan and Lone Mountain range. We'll be tent camping and bow hunting. Anyone ever hunted this area and know anything about it? Hopefully we'll get drawn and it be a good area. Putting in as a group.

Expect grizzlies.

Gohunt is probably worth the $100 or so to research it if you ask me. Also, check out hunttalk.com. Lots of guys who do western hunts on there. But FYI, if you ask that question on there, you will be told "Good luck, let us know how it goes".

Comment

If you go to HuntTalk just ask general questions about the area. Pressure, bears , etc.. You'll get better answers then.

Great little distillery there, Willie's Distillery. Their Huckleberry cream is great.

Comment

I hunted just west of there south of Virginia City , Across the Madison River from Lone Mountain ,in the Gravely Range / Baldy Mountain area . Grizzly's and Wolves got bad last time I was there . Saw Good elk there for 4 years then a sharp Decline , that was about 8-9 years ago , Hopefully they have rebounded ! Little to No pressure over there . Virginia City is a Cool little Gold Mining town, if ya get the chance check it out .

Comment

I haven't elk hunted there, but I have been fishing there alot. I think that unit is a general NR Combo unit so getting drawn is likely. There are definitely plenty of elk in the area, but I don't know how quickly hunting pressure/snow pushes them down into private in the Madison Valley.

Do y'all have an outfitter that will pack you in? That is all in the Lee Metcalf Wilderness. I think there are plenty of Grizzlies, and I would be packing in some system to keep them out of camp as well as spray and pistol.

Comment

Thanks for all the info men. I'll look into that hunttalk. Maybe I'll get a Grizzly too. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by freestylest22 View Post
              Thanks for all the info men. I'll look into that hunttalk. Maybe I'll get a Grizzly too. LOL.

I’ve literally been told by Montana FWP that you would be better off getting mauled than shooting a Grizz in self defense. If you forget anything go into Shedhorn sports there in Ennis. It’s a great town to spend the afternoon in before heading back home after a hunt. Get some jerky from Deemo’s meat, it’s the best I’ve found in MT.

There are bears in those hills, no doubt about it. But that keeps a lot of people out of there. There are also some great elk country in that area, but keep a clean camp. Be smart and don’t go anywhere without spray or a pistol. Best of luck and post up a thread when you get back, I’ll be in a different part of the state for archery season.

If you burn your legs out, Norris Hot Springs just outside ennis has good cold beer and live music on Friday and Saturday I believe

Comment

You might check with Bill (formerly from San Jose) here on TBH. He is building a home in the Ruby Valley, west of Ennis. He may can shed some light on that area east of Ennis. Here is his home build thread:

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  You might check with Bill (formerly from San Jose) here on TBH. He is building a home in the Ruby Valley, west of Ennis. He may can shed some light on that area east of Ennis. Here is his home build thread:

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=727571

Very good advice, he’s on a search and rescue team up there so his advice is real time I’d imagine.

Comment

The local warden told me when out of state people call and his advice to hunt in those areas, he says “don’t do it”. I helped pack somebody else’s elk out of that area last fall, that’s tough country with Griz and mountain lions.

The first elk fatality for 2021 was Saturday in West Yellowstone. I’m working on a simulated multi hunter mauling training mission now, just praying we don’t have it really happen.

Other than ‘where should I hunt’, what else can I tell you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Grizzlies have decimated the elk/muley herds in WY and MT for the last dozen years or so according to all the biologist/guides and such.

Comment

I would love to hunt Montana one day. Good luck

Comment

Well, we didn't get drawn this year. Fish&Game said they had record number in and out of state licenses

Comment

Originally posted by freestylest22 View Post
                            Well, we didn't get drawn this year. Fish&Game said they had record number in and out of state licenses
                            My email from MT said it was a 30% increase in NR this year! My group didn’t draw either. Sorry y’all missed out on tags this year

Comment

Ennis- great little town.

Shedhorn Sports is great for gear and guns. Got my wife a shotgun there last week.

Willies Distillery makes the smoothest honey moonshine this side of heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X