No announcement yet.

The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just getting into researching all of this, and it's not nearly as much fun as I thought it might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Just getting into researching all of this, and it's not nearly as much fun as I thought it might be.

Lot of new scopes in the market over the last few months. What’s your budget, what’s your target, and what distances will you be hunting? I’d recommend splitting your budget between a scanner and a scope. Swinging your rifle back and forth all night to scan the fields gets old quick. You’ll see Jason Robertson with Outdoor Legacy Gear mentioned a lot because he is a wealth of knowledge and will help you get into the right scope for you if you call him and share your hunting scenario with him. You’re looking at a good time as some new less expensive as well as new higher end options have recently come on the market.

Comment

All I can recomend is to make sure whatever you decide on make sure the base magnification suites your hunting situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
          Lot of new scopes in the market over the last few months. What’s your budget, what’s your target, and what distances will you be hunting? I’d recommend splitting your budget between a scanner and a scope. Swinging your rifle back and forth all night to scan the fields gets old quick. You’ll see Jason Robertson with Outdoor Legacy Gear mentioned a lot because he is a wealth of knowledge and will help you get into the right scope for you if you call him and share your hunting scenario with him. You’re looking at a good time as some new less expensive as well as new higher end options have recently come on the market.
          I've seen his name, and he will be my first call after I figure out what I want.

Two of my buddies bought the Pulsar 38 something (not the one that looks like a traditional scope) last year, and they're awesome! Like you said though, pain in the butt for locating critters from the truck unless we have both of them. We've been locating, then mounting with the QD before we stalk, but that seems to be leading to some accuracy issues. We primarily corn select spots, and some roads, then go back out driving into the wind until we see them, get out and shoot, or drive up to ~80yds and shoot. Primarily all pigs, but we'll shoot a yote if we happen across them. My son and I will be setting in a blind some with it too.

I'd resigned myself to spending that kind of cash on the new xq38, but now I see these videos with the Wraith, and just realized it's about 1/8 the cost....I could have a BUNCH more toys with that extra $2500 or so.

I'll keep reading, I appreciate the info out here so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
            What gun are you putting it on?
            Ruger american predator 6.5 CM. Not sure if there’s a way to mount the light under the barrel? I have a clamp that clamps directly to a barrel but was afraid it might hurt accuracy?

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
              both are rail mounted. scope has rail on top of it. but, mounting the IR light under the gun is a better option for less flash for follow up shots.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              I’d like to but will need to figure something out for a bolt gun.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                I’d like to but will need to figure something out for a bolt gun.
                I got this for my RAP that works great.

Comment

I've seen his name, and he will be my first call after I figure out what I want.

Two of my buddies bought the Pulsar 38 something (not the one that looks like a traditional scope) last year, and they're awesome! Like you said though, pain in the butt for locating critters from the truck unless we have both of them. We've been locating, then mounting with the QD before we stalk, but that seems to be leading to some accuracy issues. We primarily corn select spots, and some roads, then go back out driving into the wind until we see them, get out and shoot, or drive up to ~80yds and shoot. Primarily all pigs, but we'll shoot a yote if we happen across them. My son and I will be setting in a blind some with it too.

I'd resigned myself to spending that kind of cash on the new xq38, but now I see these videos with the Wraith, and just realized it's about 1/8 the cost....I could have a BUNCH more toys with that extra $2500 or so.

Nothing wrong with starting off with a Wraith to see if it is something that you want to get into or find yourself night hunting more than you thought which would justify buying thermal. The Wraith will hold 66-75% of its value in the event that you want to upgrade. I would suggest you get the 2x base mag and not the 4x.

Comment

Once again, you and I are in the same boat.

>E

Comment

Nothing wrong with a Wraith but if you've been looking through an XQ38 you probably won't be happy with it. If you get one, I agree with above - get the 2X for field of view unless you're hunting feeders. The AGM Rattlers and Bering Hogsters run from $2000 - $2700 so depending on whether you want to record or not these may be good options with some money to spare for one of the less expensive thermal scanners. Decide what you want and get on a waiting list because almost everything is on backorder.

Comment

and the Wraith is full color in the day, so recording kid daytime shots is nice too. Sounds like you need a thermal and the kid needs a Wraith for his birthday or Christmas!

Comment

I have been using a wraith since 2019 and they work great for hunting out of a stand. I have killed tons of pigs and a few other critters. My kids have also killed deer using the wraith (during the day) with full color video. It helps to go back and see where they were actually holding vs where they thought they were holding. The wraith isn't the greatest for scanning and finding animals but it is great for once you get on them or at a feeder. I just added a thermal monocular but haven't hunted with it yet. I will this weekend and I'll update but I think it will add a lot. I think the thermal will help a lot spotting game and I won't be swinging my gun while looking. The wraith's add quite a bit of weight to the gun though when you factor in the IR light. You can go this route for less than $2k which is what I have done. Some on here will tell you buy once cry once and talk down the wraith, etc. That may be true for some but I have been more than happy with what the Wraith provides and how I use it. It will only get better in my opinion with the monocular.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                            and the Wraith is full color in the day, so recording kid daytime shots is nice too. Sounds like you need a thermal and the kid needs a Wraith for his birthday or Christmas!

See, this is how I get in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought the Wraith 4K Max because it will fit my style of hunting a sendero chum line and feeders while sitting in a chair. I set my rifle on the BOG Deathgrip tripod and can swing it up/down/side to side with ease and don't worry about the 12+lb of weight. The IR illuminator that came with it will light up cats in a yard a block and a half down the street. Should be good enough for pigs. I'll know later this month. 2 swine hunts scheduled. The one shot zero works perfect. I set mine in daylight at 30 yds and then at 100 it was within 2 moa. Made that adjustment with one more shot and let em fly. I now have 2 different rifles programmed in it and about to do a 3rd. The QD mount hold perfect zero when switching mounts too. Having one scope that has saved reticle settings for 4 different rifles and calibers is pretty cool.

Comment

It looks like the ones we’ve been using are Trail XQ38s, which appear to be out of production...

The Thermion XQ38 appears to be the same beast in a different skin, but **** that thing is huge!

Is it awkward at that size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X