No announcement yet.

Bahia Grande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys with that modern invention GUNPOWDER have it so easy ... I'm envious -- getting in bow range was just crazy hard there.

Comment

He said it was like 9 hunters

Comment

Final report: it wasn't in the cards for me.

Last day in the unit was harder than the others, but not impossible. I talked to a few other hunters and they noticed there seemed to be fewer nilgai moving around. First two days I probably saw 20ish each day, but today I only saw about 5-6. They had figured out where the hunters would be and moved to the edges of the unit or in the restricted sections. I heard of a calf taken, but unsure what the final count was for today.

Overall, it was a hard hunt and even though I was unsuccessful, I am a better hunter for it. It's a great opportunity and I'm already making plans for my next attempt. Itching to get back out there already. Final count for around 10 hunters was about 8 nilgai. There wasn't a board to keep track and Georgie (the ranger) wasn't there today. The game warden, Tim, was there instead.

Thanks to all the hunters out there this weekend. We shared tips and helped each other out when needed. Georgie and Tim were also immensely helpful telling us where they last saw a group of them or helping pack up/dress a successful harvest.

Comment

Did anyone, hunting this past weekend, find any dead Nilgai out there from the freeze last week? More than likely they would not have died in the open but in any brush thickets that are on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
            Did anyone, hunting this past weekend, find any dead Nilgai out there from the freeze last week? More than likely they would not have died in the open but in any brush thickets that are on there.
            Not that I heard of. The ranger nor the game warden mentioned it either. I assume if it did happen it was to very few nilgai

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
              He said it was like 9 hunters

Figured. Unless you lived down there or were half crazy, you stayed home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                Figured. Unless you lived down there or were half crazy, you stayed home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                For those of you that didn't hunt due to the weather, I think you missed out. Better luck next year

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AHunter View Post
                  Final report: it wasn't in the cards for me.

Last day in the unit was harder than the others, but not impossible. I talked to a few other hunters and they noticed there seemed to be fewer nilgai moving around. First two days I probably saw 20ish each day, but today I only saw about 5-6. They had figured out where the hunters would be and moved to the edges of the unit or in the restricted sections. I heard of a calf taken, but unsure what the final count was for today.

Sorry that it didn’t happen for you and for those that weren’t able to make the trip.

I’ll definitely be putting in again for the archery draws and hope the weather is a bit warmer next go around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                    For those of you that didn't hunt due to the weather, I think you missed out. Better luck next year

Yup! They definitely should have at least tried standby spots, but of course the national refuge never does it. I would’ve been there for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post

It wasn't worth the risk, and hotels were cancelling reservations. It was a cluster up here. Would have taken 15 hrs to get there IF I stayed out of the ditches lol. But I **** sure thought about it.

Comment

I will absolutely put in again if they run it again, archery preferred. The place is uniquely challenging to me, much more so than the main reserve (though I cannot say I've scored there either). I just really enjoyed the fact that I was hiding and waiting, or hiding while moving, or hiding while stalking, ... basically hiding almost 100 percent of the time, with very little cover, so those critters didn't see me. Which sometimes they did anyway, and man, can they stare at you standing motionless 500 yards away for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Comment

When did y’all receive your orientation email?

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
                            Got mine for the last hunt on the Wednesday before the hunt.

Was told there were 10 nilgai taken on last weeks hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Texantax View Post
                              Hopefully soon

Comment

Post more pics! Good luck to the guys on the next hunt

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X