No announcement yet.

Axis Deer and Freezing Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20% range cubes and creep feed will keep animals warm !
    Corn don’t cut it in these temps. My deer haven’t touched the feeder in a week, but spend hours at the protein tub.

Comment

I’ve been worried about our axis in Sutton County. Hope they make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
        I’ve been worried about our axis in Sutton County. Hope they make it.

Same here just posted on the Sutton county Hunters page to see if there are any reports for our area.

Comment

Originally posted by txfirefighter_04 View Post
          Same here just posted on the Sutton county Hunters page to see if there are any reports for our area.

My buddy said he lost a few in Segovia. I can’t make it out there until next weekend.

Comment

I hunted a place earlier this year and apparently they lost a bunch of Axis Deer due to the cold weather. So sad to hear and such a bad way to go for any animal. One of my favorite animals to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
              My buddy said he lost a few in Segovia. I can’t make it out there until next weekend.

Landowner drove up to our place in carta valley. He saw tons of deer on way Friday alive and well. Made it to ranch and so far other than some water issues has seen many critters alive and well zero dead deer found on our place thus far. Much needed news after worrying of it and Antrax lost last year etc l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[quote
                add stars to photo][/quote]

Comment

Anyone know if/how the extended freezing temps might affect antler growth for those axis currently in velvet.

Comment

I was in Edwards county through the worst of it and only lost 1 axis buck and it was the yotes that got him. I was throwing out alfalfa and free choice protein and cotton seed every day. twice a day i was busting ice in the water troughs.

Comment

Just got back from our place in Mountain Home. We took another 50 bales of alfalfa. I think we got lucky as we only found 3 Axis fawn dead. When we arrived at the ranch late Friday there were lots of Axis & Blackbuck taking shelter in our just finished UTV and tractor shed. We had moved the 3 UTV’s & tractor out and unloaded alfalfa inside hoping they would find it. They did. The 3 young Axis that died may not have been old enough or strong enough to travel to the enclosure. We found them huddled together. We broke ice in a few water troughs to free up water for them before we left. I’m sure a few more animals died that we didn’t find, but we’re ok for the most part.

Comment

Just got back from our place in South East Sutton county and saw one dead axis fawn. Saw tons of live axis and WT. Some how we had zero broken pipes. Now we just need to get electricity back.

Comment

My buddy went to our lease near Roosevelt yesterday. Found 15-20 dead axis along the creek bottom. Seeing lots of axis, whitetail, sika, hogs, and turkey on the cameras still.

Comment

Ranch lost 64 animals by Saturday evening. Lots of sausage in the works....

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              My buddy went to our lease near Roosevelt yesterday. Found 15-20 dead axis along the creek bottom. Seeing lots of axis, whitetail, sika, hogs, and turkey on the cameras still.
                              Shooting you a PM

Comment

my brother has sent me some pics of truck and trailer loads of them that died from the storm. he said at his in-laws place in comfort they were hauling off the dead ones from around house...looked like a pile of about 20 of them.

i didn't realize they would be so hard hit either. black buck i was aware of - i think they were even harder hit if i had to guess. all of their food had a layer of ice on it in the Hill Country...and of course water frozen as well.

really bad deal for sure...but the whitetail, pigs and turkeys seem to be doing fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X