Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/16/2021 Update

We were at the ranch this past weekend. The deer are hammering the cottonseed and protein. We cranked our timed protein feeders up to feed around 10hrs per day. We noticed that we got another inch of rain last week so that was a good surprise. We went ahead and watered all the trees and noticed that all of the trees still had their leaves. We added a couple of new water stations throughout the property and will put a 275-gallon tote on the two 50-gallon Rubbermaid troughs. We will put these two troughs inside our feed pens. We already have two concrete water troughs that are solar powered (one in our southern half and one in our northern half), a large 2.5-acre pond, and a 1-acre pond so adding these 2 other water sources should give us plenty of water for the animals. We just like the idea of having a water source next to the protein feeders.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5 (2) (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	24641296

Name:	7 (Large).jpg
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	24641297

Name:	4 (Large).jpg
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	24641298

I hope to purchase two more of these 275-gallon totes next week and have these set up by February.

Comment

Cool Picture

Here's a cool picture of a 4yr old 13pt (10-pointer with 3 kickers off his browtines). We are excited to see what he will turn into in a couple of years.

Name:	01050557 (Large).jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	24641304

Comment

1/22/2021 Update

I purchased a Covert 2020 Code Black Cellular trail camera that I am looking forward to trying out in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, here are some pictures from the past month.

Name:	01100277 (Large).jpg
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	24641473

Name:	01100303 (Large).jpg
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	24641474

Name:	01100304 (Large).jpg
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	24641475

Name:	01110921 (Large).jpg
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	24641476

Name:	01120694 (Large).jpg
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	24641477

Comment

Have you seen any of your deer drink from your 50 gallon trough you put out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by DKW II View Post
            Have you seen any of your deer drink from your 50 gallon trough you put out yet?
            We put a camera over them so I should have some pictures to share over the next 2 weeks. My parents are out there and said that the troughs are both down about 5-inches so something is drinking from them. I'll keep you posted and let you know once we get the camera cards.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
              We put a camera over them so I should have some pictures to share over the next 2 weeks. My parents are out there and said that the troughs are both down about 5-inches so something is drinking from them. I'll keep you posted and let you know once we get the camera cards.

Let me know, I’d appreciate it. I’m putting out the same thing in a few areas next week and just curious how your deer took to them.

Comment

Camera Mount

My son and I put this together using an old 5-gallon bucket, some 2x6's, and some scrap metal for the camera base. Hopefully it will work just fine with the new Covert Code Black AT&T cellular camera. All we need to do now is add some flexible conduit to protect the plastic conduit that came with the Covert solar panel.

Name:	cam (Large).jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	24641782

Name:	cam1 (Large).jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	24641783

Comment

What a great idea for the game cameras!

Comment

We installed the cellular trail camera so I’m looking forward to getting some cool pictures and actually see real time if it’s rained or raining. I was able to call in a coyote yesterday morning and we shot one more last doe so our deer season is now over.

We chainsawed around 60 cedars and let them lay and hand spread some bluestem, bundleflower, and western ragweed in some bare areas. Hoping to broadcast a pollinator mix this spring to help increase the native diversity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The trees are doing well. Watered them again this weekend. Hopefully the roots will have start growing down and deep to help survive the summer heat.

Comment

The deer are hammering the cottonseed and protein. We put out another 1,000lbs of cottonseed and got the protein feeders filled.

Comment

Looking good! How long does it take them to normally go through a basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                            Looking good! How long does it take them to normally go through a basket?
                            We used to have one basket per feeder and they would go through a basket in 4 weeks but now we have 2 baskets per feeder and this time of year they typically go through both baskets in about 5 weeks. We will have fed all of our cottonseed (3 tons) by March.

Comment

Update

We are receiving pictures on our Covert cellular trail camera. I have been very impressed with the camera overall. The pictures are set at the 12MB setting but the pictures below are lesser quality because I haven't requested the HD pictures. Another thing to note is that the feeder is around 15 yards away. We are going to move the feeder closer to the middle of the pen once it's empty to make it around 7 to 8 yards away from the camera. I really like the "REAL-TIME" photo option to see if it's raining or what's going on live. As you can see, the last picture was a "REAL-TIME" picture and the lens is covered with ice. It looks like I won't get any pictures until it gets above freezing, which is going to be a couple of days.

Name:	Buck.jpg
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	24644514

Name:	Turkey.jpg
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	24644515

Name:	Ice.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	24644516

Comment

Keep in mind the MP setting on the cameras does not change the quality delivered to your app. That is only for the pics off the SD card

I had 5 coverts, and sold them all. Pic quality delivered was far inferior to my Spartans

Comment

Working...
                                X