Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
    BT don’t feel too bad, everyone has traps dug out from time to time. Im sure you know the reasons. It was scented trap, not properly bedded, or he just knows where your trap is in relation to your attractant. I would say that the majority of the traps I have dug are from the scent from a previous catch. In my experience if a coyote digs a trap that doesn’t trigger, he’ll dig it again. I reset the dug trap, make a new set in in front of that one with a clean trap. Nothing feels better that to outsmart the smart ones. GOOD LUCK.
    I’m going to try that

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
      Put out about 20 sets, caught 1 bobcat yesterday in a Bridger #3. Dirt hole set with pigeon wing for attractant and John Graham Tomcat lure.
      Nice female with good spots and back color, she should bring a decent price.
      We'll spring them tomorrow and maybe re set Friday , depending on snow coming.
      Do they not go off of belly color now? I thought buyers liked white belly cats

Comment

Trapper76 the next dug out trap is getting a set made in front of it

Can you elaborate on this?
        Set 8 inches or so back and a little offset or right on top of other trap?

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
          Do they not go off of belly color now? I thought buyers liked white belly cats
          The belly is most important but back color matters too.
          We put out 21 more sets more this long weekend and will have last week in Jan to trap all week and for the last hurrah.

Furs we have now are ready for sale.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice set of fur wytex

Hope y'all get some good prices on your fur

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
              Trapper76 the next dug out trap is getting a set made in front of it

Can you elaborate on this?
              Set 8 inches or so back and a little offset or right on top of other trap?
              Yessir make the set exactly like your trap is the attractant. I take some extra time on these sets and make sure they are blended in really well. I don’t use too much to guide their feet on this set. I think that gives away trap location to a sly old yote.

Comment

You must be dealing with a sly old dog, we haven't had any dug up this year.
                Go get him !

Checking this morning and springing them Sunday. Set again next weekend for a week then we are finished for the year.

Comment

Had one out of the bed this morning

I made a "compass" set and I think a coyote rolled on the trap as it was in the middle of 3 different scents

Could not find any clues other than the few hairs in the trap

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5723.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	24641122

I did catch a coon in a DP

Comment

Nothing for us this weekend. Had a day and a half of high winds so everything was hunkered down. Had one miss on a bobcat, stepped beside the pan.
                    This morning found a snapped trap but not sure what we missed.
                    Spouse found some mink tracks on the creek so out come the smaller traps next weekend.

This pic shows the bounding mink tracks with some bobcat tracks on the frozen creek. The mink are the double tracks going diagonally across the bobcat's. These were right along where we missed the cat that didn't step on the pan.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Caught a decent female this morning and had a miss. Windy as heck again.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Rained enough here that my traps were sitting in water

Pulled all but 2 this afternoon

Comment

We are about to start "trying" to trap coyotes on our deer lease for the first time. We get out there every couple weeks for a few days. We definitely will not leaves traps set while we're gone but should we leave them in the ground or pull them every time we leave and reset the next time we're out? Really hoping we can just trip them and reset the next time we're out.

Comment

Three legged coyote today. I don’t know what happened to his leg, but it looks like it was healing ok. He pulled a m44 and piled up about 20 yards away.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by brandon View Post
                              We are about to start "trying" to trap coyotes on our deer lease for the first time. We get out there every couple weeks for a few days. We definitely will not leaves traps set while we're gone but should we leave them in the ground or pull them every time we leave and reset the next time we're out? Really hoping we can just trip them and reset the next time we're out.
                              I don't know any way to leave a trap set and avoid a catch, maybe someone does and will chime in. Otherwise I would have a quick connect on the chain if using an anchor so you could pull trap and just reset in same spot when you return

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                              Three legged coyote today. I don’t know what happened to his leg, but it looks like it was healing ok. He pulled a m44 and piled up about 20 yards away.
                              I would suspect gunshot or got it in a trap
                              Most critters are much tougher than us humans

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                                I don't know any way to leave a trap set and avoid a catch, maybe someone does and will chime in. Otherwise I would have a quick connect on the chain if using an anchor so you could pull trap and just reset in same spot when you return
                                I know an old trapper that put covers on 'em. He ran angora goats. He'd used a plywd bd that had a 2x2 around the perimeter (bottom). Checked 'em in the morning and covered 'em, then let then goats out. Penned goats at night, and uncovered. Probably also used the covers when it rained, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X