No announcement yet.

Powderhorn 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks fellas. Sliced up a part of the massive backstrap into steak cutlets. Cooked over high heat for a couple minutes each side to medium rare. (Needed to be Medium for my preference)

Mom said it tasted like a beef sirloin. I agree.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on the kills. I fear tho TPWD wont stop untill the Sambar an Axis are totally gone from the area. This irks some Calhoun county residents. They've known an watched the Sambar for decades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Jusr dropped off the sambar and axis at the processor. I brought the left over backstrap cutlet steaks for him to try. He bit into a steak cold and his eyes lit up. A guy that deal with wildgame processing and exotics and smoked sausage for an living said, " This is incredible, this just moved to my #1 favorite. Better than eland, better than nilgai, better than axis in that order!" He agreed, it was like a beef sirloin!

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
          Jusr dropped off the sambar and axis at the processor. I brought the left over backstrap cutlet steaks for him to try. He bit into a steak cold and his eyes lit up. A guy that deal with wildgame processing and exotics and smoked sausage for an living said, " This is incredible, this just moved to my #1 favorite. Better than eland, better than nilgai, better than axis in that order!" He agreed, it was like a beef sirloin!

Hope you get it all back. I had someone working for a processor keep one side of a backstrap from my nilgai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 110% trust in these guys. Over 15 yrs and more animals than I can recall. Never once an issue. Always amazing! I consider us friends. I donated 2 Nilgai last year and an entire sambar today. I can't handle the amount of animals, I have no room, no need, and no ability to take or store that amount of meat. I even let them pick what they want to make out of my animals...it always comes out amazing. That is how much trust I have with them.

Comment

I have 110% trust in these guys. Over 15 yrs and more animals than I can recall. Never once an issue. Always amazing! I consider us friends. I donated 2 Nilgai last year and an entire sambar today. I can't handle the amount of animals, I have no room, no need, and no ability to take or store that amount of meat. I even let them pick what they want to make out of my animals...it always comes out amazing. That is how much trust I have with them.

Good to have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Way to go Bludau 's. Congrats.

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by esoct25 View Post
                    Congrats on the kills. I fear tho TPWD wont stop untill the Sambar an Axis are totally gone from the area. This irks some Calhoun county residents. They've known an watched the Sambar for decades.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
                    I'm not sure that's case if you're limited, they've also addded a draw hunt for cast and blast that includes Sambar.

Colorado Bend for example is shoot every Aoudad you see, etc. They want them gone.

Comment

The tpw wants to remove all exotics from powderhorn and just have native white tails from what I've heard. I hope that's not right because a 130 inch whitetail us about as good as they get on the Powderhorn. The exotics is what makes this place so popular not a 130 inch deer.

Comment

Brokeno is 100% spot on. I asked. Biologist wants all exotics taken, (Maybe some pushback from the state due to the popularity of the hunt) but that is his main focus. 134" was the largest buck taken this year.

I agree, sambar and axis are the main reason I would return(meat haul). I honestly will not apply for PHWMA in the Gun Deer category any more for a couple reasons.
                        1)I've already experienced what I feel is the maximum(3 Sambar Stags/1 Axis Buck In a single day, passed several WT deer, spike, 9pt,doe, and numerous sambar)
                        2) It is a short rifle hunt. Tue 11am thru Thur 11am. That's less than 2 Days really.
                        3) The draw is the lowest of odds.
                        4) It is a fun hunt and an amazing place, it's not my preference for hunting methods, but truck hunting and spot & stalk was the ticket, I had zero interest in sitting in a blind in the comparment I had.

Not saying I will never go back, I will be back for sure. If ever selected, I'd be looking for a trophy Axis Buck or trophy Stag or ,coastal WTbuck.

Comment

Removing the non-natives is typical. I'm surprised it's not unlimited if thats the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
                            Removing the non-natives is typical. I'm surprised it's not unlimited if thats the goal.
                            I had reached out to the folks that ran the place after this last hunt was over about the possibility of an exception to the "one sambar rule". Seems they have a hard time getting folks to kill the hinds. So if they were to offer an additional sambar tag for the folks that kill a hind first it would benefit everyone. The WMA would lower the sambar hind numbers and hunters wouldn't go home empty handed knowing they could still kill a stag after shooting a hind.

Comment

That sounds legitimate. We passed hinds, to wait for opportunities at a stag. I saw only one hind brought in. I imagine, in previous years, there were many mature stags killed. Larger than this past year.

Comment

Got big bro on one!
                                I know it sounds redundant, stupid STUPID crazy story on that one. On film too boot!
                                Awesome!!

Comment

Working...
                                X