Stock Markets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moose View Post
    CHX is one I’m rooting for too....two reasons, first is because I got in at around $6.50.....second is I work there[emoji846]. If oil can get back to the $50 range ever again I think it’ll be in the mid $30’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone else get in on CHX???? Up over $18 and still going....

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      I am not big on trading most of my money in good times. I do feel like if I’m expecting and oil bust, if housing busts, or if something like this pandemic comes though it is a no brainer. People get scared and stocks tank. That is the perfect buying opportunity. I did not touch a large majority of my overall assets this time but took all my cash which was probably 15-20% of retirement accounts value and from April to now that cash in my stocks is almost worth as much as the rest.

"We simply attempt to be fearful when others are greedy and to be greedy only when others are fearful." Warren Buffet
      I don't believe in market timing. I have a set asset allocation of (Age - 20) in bonds and the remainder in stocks. I'm 39 so I have 19% bonds and 81% stocks. Of that 81%, I hold 70% domestic and 30% foreign. My entire portfolio is made up of 3 etfs. That's it.

I pay zero attention to market predictions or any emotional response to the markets. Anytime I fall 2% or more outside of the asset allocation above I rebalance which requires that I sell winners and buy losers to come back to my target. Buy low, sell high by definition.

I also improve the tax efficiency of my portfolio by holding all bonds in tax advantaged accounts.

I hold 1% or less in cash at all times.

“I can’t time stocks.. I don’t know anybody else who can either.” Warren Buffett

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        I don't believe in market timing. I have a set asset allocation of (Age - 20) in bonds and the remainder in stocks. I'm 39 so I have 19% bonds and 81% stocks. Of that 81%, I hold 70% domestic and 30% foreign. My entire portfolio is made up of 3 etfs. That's it.

I pay zero attention to market predictions or any emotional response to the markets. Anytime I fall 2% or more outside of the asset allocation above I rebalance which requires that I sell winners and buy losers to come back to my target. Buy low, sell high by definition.

I also improve the tax efficiency of my portfolio by holding all bonds in tax advantaged accounts.

I hold 1% or less in cash at all times.

“I can’t time stocks.. I don’t know anybody else who can either.” Warren Buffett
        I’m not really trying to time a top and bottom. I sell when I’m happy with it and buy usually after SHTF. Trying to time each will definitely get people in trouble. It works for me or has so far. I do have 3 etf as well and some other things that don’t get touched. Energy stocks I definitely play up and downs with though because they’re cyclical by nature so I will maximize there when I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
          Did anyone else get in on CHX???? Up over $18 and still going....

Yes I am in it! Avg cost at $8.73 I am in at.

I will continue adding some as I feel good about them and should continue to climb. Not much debt

Comment

My entire portfolio is made up of 3 etfs. That's it.
            Which 3 etfs? I have been interested in investing from a young age (only 24 now) and have come to the same conclusion. If this idea is to diversify then why am I going to try and research companies in my spare time when there are people who get paid to do it full time.

Comment

Originally posted by tlh2865 View Post
              Which 3 etfs? I have been interested in investing from a young age (only 24 now) and have come to the same conclusion. If this idea is to diversify then why am I going to try and research companies in my spare time when there are people who get paid to do it full time.
              VTI - Vanguard Total Stock Market
              VXUS - Vanguard Total International
              BND - Vanguard Total Bond

Comment

VTI - Vanguard Total Stock Market
                VXUS - Vanguard Total International
                BND - Vanguard Total Bond
                Do you allocate to these on your own or through someone? I have never bought my own they’re all done through my Edward Jones account

Comment

Open a vanguard account and invest away. Do weekly drafts from checking account.

Do you allocate to these on your own or through someone? I have never bought my own they’re all done through my Edward Jones account

Comment

Does someone manage that for you?

I have started to do it all my own, less fee's and I learn to do it myself.

Comment

I’m 100% DIY. I invest to the allocation I described above and rebalance.

The name of the game for passive index investing is to manage fees and expenses to the max. Can’t do that with an advisor taking a cut. It’s not hard to DIY.

Comment

What is the percentage for each fund?

Currently, I’m doing S&P 500 index and bond through vanguard (90/10), looking to add international to help offset.

The name of the game for passive index investing is to manage fees and expenses to the max. Can’t do that with an advisor taking a cut. It’s not hard to DIY.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post

Currently, I’m doing S&P 500 index and bond through vanguard (90/10), looking to add international to help offset.

See post 512 above. I have it there

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post

I'm a CFP, and I completely understand your advisor/fee reference. I see too many advisor just sticking clients in a "model" that some fund company put together bundled with a fee plus an advisors fee. That is not what I do, and I'm not going to give away my strategy, but I have a strategy that took me a few years to figure out and has clearly worked for my clients over the last several years. My all in fee (funds .59 and advisory .85) for 2020 were 1.44, and my clients average return was 47.30%(which includes risk of moderate to moderate conservative - only 7 mutual funds). Some made in the mid 30%, some over 60%. For your portfolio of 90/10 in Vangaurd 500/Bond Index, your 2020 return would have been around 17.50% with fees of .043. I think making 17.5% is a heck of a year.

Comment

My entire portfolio is made up of 3 etfs. That's it.
                              I am looking at doing something similar. Do you have stop losses on the ETFs to prevent big losses?

Comment

Agree 100%!!! Low fees and expense ratio and don't pay someone a cut off the top

Comment

Working...
                                X