Trapping Season Thread 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post
    Quick question, with this big cold front and rain coming in for 2 days. Do y’all pull your traps before a big storm, or do y’all leave them?
    I’ve had my best luck trapping before/during these fronts. It’s like the coyotes survival instinct kicks in, and makes some of them do things they normally wouldn’t do for food. I always saturate a area with traps, that way if some get washed out I still have more gear working. The way I see it, you won’t catch em with your traps in the truck.

Comment

Had something either step in trap and pull out (deer?) or something dug it out and tripped it

After this rain moves through I am going to reset some and make a few new sets

Comment

Going to put out a few sets tomorrow and Friday morning.
        Not sure how much snow we'll have to deal with but hoping not much more than a dusting.
        Going to be cold at night so wax dirt is what we use just in case of some day time melting and freezing over night. Snow is a pain for us but does give us a map of sorts with tracks easy to find.
        We'll be concentrating on bobcats now, coyotes are really pretty but not worth much this late due to rubbed off guard hairs. If we catch a really furred up one we'll get it tanned to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Btoutdoors View Post
          Top Lot makes an excellent stretcher!
          Thank you sir! That seems to be the consensus here, so I will be contacting them soon.

Comment

Checked traps on 4 wheeler, in the rain, and dark and cold

NADA

But I feel obligated to check traps daily if I have them out

Looks like an all day work day tomorrow so will be Friday before I can get a few more back in the ground

Comment

Well it finally quit raining.

Went out after lunch to set some more traps and the ground is so soupy I can't get earth anchor to hold driving 18" deep

Going to look at another few places I have in mind tomorrow and see how the ground is in those locations

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                Well it finally quit raining.

Went out after lunch to set some more traps and the ground is so soupy I can't get earth anchor to hold driving 18" deep

Going to look at another few places I have in mind tomorrow and see how the ground is in those locations
                Same here, went today to check and move a couple where there’s fresh tracks. The soil was really soft. Hopefully a dog doesn’t pull a trap out and start running around with it.

Comment

No catches or misses, 24 sets out.
                  We had just a skiff of snow left but enough to show plenty of critters around, cats and coyotes.
                  We'll pull tomorrow morning , or spring, and reset late next week.
                  Big bobcat tracks right through the ranch house yard when we got there.

Comment

I’ve been wondering, what is y’all’s choice of bait to use for coyotes and bobcats?

Comment

We use some lure and bait produced up this way.
                      John Graham's Bonanza Mild, Double Cross and Deception.
                      We've also used some Caven's Hiawatha Valley and O' Gorman's Powder River Cat Call.
                      I get fresh urine from a place in Utah for bobcat and coyote urine. Spouse picks up coyote turds to place with urine on scent post sets.
                      Spouse also uses googly eyed mice and rats for bait in cubby sets.

BT probably uses different scents and baits for your areas.

Comment

I am using powder river form Ogorman's, Mark June's Widowmaker and have some flat 365 from mark june on the way for bait

I have a variety of lures. James Lucero, Caven's and Dobbins. Just got Lucero stuff and you have to order over the phone or send order by mail. Think he is 80+ and still trapping in NM
                        Lucero -- Coyotero, JL#1 and Winter Wolf
                        Caven's -- Yodel Dog
                        Dobbins -- Back Breaker

Urine I have bought from F&T but if I could find a good supplier where I did not have to buy by the gallon I would try that.

Got 3 sets out today, probably try and get 3 more in tomorrow. Means I have to run them after dark during the week though when I get home

Comment

Montgomery Trap and Supply in Utah is where I get urine, John Graham, Fur Country Lures, also sells some in bottles smaller than gallons. Montgomery is great to deal with and being close to us we get our orders fast.
                          John Graham is in Wyoming so we try to give him business when possible.

Out to check this morning, pulling and springing traps today till next weekend.

Comment

Ended up with 5 sets

Stupid bovine stepped on the backing of my dirt hole set and caved it in, had to dig it back out with a stick on midday trap check

Got 2 more traps in the dirt today though, total of 4 flat sets and the dirt hole the cow stomped

Will check after I get home tomorrow night, weather dependent on check via atv or truck.

wytex I will note that and check with them next year on urine

Comment

Had 24 sets out and caught 2 bobcats. Biggest tom yet on the ranch, we weighed him at 39 lbs. Had such a pot gut on him he spouse had to see what he had eaten, stomach full of raccoon. Beautiful long fur and lots of big spots on the belly, smaller female also has nice spots. We should have them stretched and dried by the time fur buyer comes through in mid Jan.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Thought I would add, both cats were caught in Victor 1.75 with 4 coil springs. The extra springs really make them snappy and catch great high on the foot.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X