No announcement yet.

Barn Rat Warfare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I think you continue with your previous methods along with the new. My personal favorite is pellet gun/bait routine! Little tip, go get some macrame or hobby jute rope, next critter you kill soak as much blood into that rope as you can, put it in a baggy to freeze. When the rats get ho-hum about the peanut butter tie about 6” or so of that blood soaked rope on, the rats can’t make themselves stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
      What did you bait the 5 gallon bucket with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Peanut butter mostly. I’ve thrown sweet feed inside of the bucket to float on water as well. Gives off that molasses smell

Comment

Only picture that I have.
        Attached Files

Comment

Henry makes a smooth bore .22, add some pest loads and it’s perfect for hunting in a barn.
          It’s surprisingly satisfying.

Comment

Rise and shine. Show us the carnage!

Comment

Good thread, rats invade barns and mess with wiring on combines and cotton pickers, every year

Comment

In for the carnage!

Comment

Without all the details we had to hire an exterminator in one of our previous homes to get rid of these trophy tree rats from the attic. The main thing they used was a tube with sunflower seeds in it for bate. They would put a type of dust in these tubes and what would occur these rats would go inside these tubes to eat, get the dust on their fur. Then when they would leave the attic to go to their nest they would clean their fur and ingest the poison. This Process did work and after they walked up the attic. Best $1200.00 i ever spent and it worked. Sorry for the long write up.

Comment

I hope this works, if it does I am building one as well. I've tried just about everything mentioned. Short of burning the barn down with them inside.

Comment

Farnam Just One Bite works incredibly well.
                      The below link is a gravity feeder dispenser I made for it.

Attached Files

Comment

My childhood would've been very different if YouTube had existed back then.

Comment

I have the 5 gal bucket version that has caught a few. Have caught most with two of the old style spring rat traps. I rap a rubber band several times around the bait tray and smear peanut butter all in it.

Comment

Nice! I have caught regular mice in a bucket trap.

I saw where you can put anti-freeze in the bucket to keep the smell down. Or simply check it frequently.

Comment

A couple of pet Ferrets will take care of them pretty quick and leave behind no mess except for Ferret poop. Or you can turn loose a couple of 6 foot rat snakes in there. Same result.

Comment

Ive thought about making something similar to this for the shop. We get them in there every winter. When I was in college, we lived a block away from a feed mill in Stephenville. Moved into the house, and a couple nights later, there was major noise in the attic. I thought it must be coons by the noise. Turned out to be the biggest rats I have ever seen. We had a little cairn terrior, and the rats were not much smaller than she was. I was brushing my teeth one morning and notice something out of the corner of my eye. There was one of the bastages sitting on top of the water heater. When our eyes met, he jumped straight at me. I ducked and the little dog was on him like stink on ****. She made quick work of him and took it to show my wife in bed. She didn't think that was funny. Needless to say, we moved pretty quick after that.

Comment

Working...
                                X