No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ocelots are out and about in daylight right now because they are breeding, which is why Unit 6 is closed for the third hunt, according to same USFWS biologist.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
      Sure, you can argue with the USFWS biologist who confirmed the ID. Long tail, distinctive and characteristic white marks on back of ears (not visible in this photo). My word of advice to you: don't enter a bobcat vs. ocelot ID contest. And, don't shoot a cat thinking it is a bobcat unless you want your own striped clothing holiday and ginormous fine, courtesy of The Man.

Whatever you say. Those thick leg stripes don’t look right, nor do the pointy ears, but it’s a crappy picture so you could definitely be right. I can’t even tell if it’s coming or going.

Comment

Sure, you can argue with the USFWS biologist who confirmed the ID. Long tail, distinctive and characteristic white marks on back of ears (not visible in this photo). My word of advice to you: don't enter a bobcat vs. ocelot ID contest. And, don't shoot a cat thinking it is a bobcat unless you want your own striped clothing holiday and ginormous fine, courtesy of The Man.

Man, that’s awesome! Seeing an ocelot would be incredible!

Comment

Actual question, did they confirm it based off the picture you posted or based off of your own description of the animal?

Comment

Hunted the 11/13-17 hunt, all in unit 1, I'm fairly new at this, was set up wrong. Saw a big cow and a big hog, the cow running and out of range, the big hog closer to a big gator than to me, no chance of winning that fight so I passed on the shot. Did see this ocelot, though, so a very cool thing during a hunt during which the temperature was WAY TOO HIGH for animals to be moving around.

https://imgur.com/u2UhsjP

Congratulations on seeing an Ocelot. You had a paid professional tell you it is what it is so go with that. Keep coming down here for this hunt and you will figure it out as far as taking an animal. Good luck to those coming for the rest of this seasons hunts. I hope to be back again next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok boys, I'm committed. Will call Adolf Park tomorrow or Monday and hopefully get a spot. Do they have showers?

Solo here so hot me up at camp.

Justin Shelton
              512sixsix1eight017

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                Ok boys, I'm committed. Will call Adolf Park tomorrow or Monday and hopefully get a spot. Do they have showers?

Justin Shelton
                512sixsix1eight017

Yes. It’s not an ideal set up, but better than jumping in a lake.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post

Justin Shelton
                  512sixsix1eight017
                  check with Port Isla Inn in port isabel. Nice place for the cost(cheap). It is on the outer edge of town across from the H.E.B.

I will be staying there in January for my rifle hunt at Laguna Atascosa.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                    Yes. It’s not an ideal set up, but better than jumping in a lake.

Not by much. That park sucks. I brought meat to cook and didn’t realize you couldn’t have a fire unless it was in a bbq pit or some kind of container. It might be more sanitary to jump in the water and soap up than use those showers they have

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
                      Actual question, did they confirm it based off the picture you posted or based off of your own description of the animal?
                      The three pictures I sent them -- to me, I couldn't really tell any difference between them, to tell the truth.

The face is much narrower than that of a bobcat. Obviously a very long tail is different, too, as is the pattern on the fur (apparently). I described the white spots on the ears, no pic.

USFWS requests all possible ocelot sightings to be reported, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
                        Whatever you say. Those thick leg stripes don’t look right, nor do the pointy ears, but it’s a crappy picture so you could definitely be right. I can’t even tell if it’s coming or going.
                        I know -- I was pretty shocked to see it, and I think it was just as shocked to see me. I've seen plenty of bobcats (in fact, saw one a couple of days later) and was pretty sure I wasn't looking at a bobcat. Getting my phone out quickly enough without moving or startling it so I could take a few pics was tough. I didn't have time to get better photos -- it bounced off the road back into the brush in seconds.

Comment

Man this is going to be a long week. Cant wait to get back out there!

Comment

I was out there with my buddy on 11/20 hunt. My buddy got a doe in the first day around 10am. Popped out of the brush into a clearing right in front of my buddy as if something had bumped but proceeded to feed as normal. He drew and nailed her. She made it back to the brush where she came from, maybe made it 30 yds before expiring. I saw a total of 4 bulls and 1 cow. I took a shot at a bull at 70 yds and missed. It was my first time hunting out there and wasnt sure what to expect until i did the scouting trip in September. I got lots of tips on here and in previous posts so thank you all for those. I think overall it was a very successful trip even though i didn’t get an animal, i am confident i can find them again next time. I know where they live.

Comment

Successful trip

Comment

Originally posted by TexasEx57 View Post
                                I was out there with my buddy on 11/20 hunt. My buddy got a doe in the first day around 10am. Popped out of the brush into a clearing right in front of my buddy as if something had bumped but proceeded to feed as normal. He drew and nailed her. She made it back to the brush where she came from, maybe made it 30 yds before expiring. I saw a total of 4 bulls and 1 cow. I took a shot at a bull at 70 yds and missed. It was my first time hunting out there and wasnt sure what to expect until i did the scouting trip in September. I got lots of tips on here and in previous posts so thank you all for those. I think overall it was a very successful trip even though i didn’t get an animal, i am confident i can find them again next time. I know where they live.

Nice job! I’ve had better luck finding cows and calves, more than I can count; but I’ve only found 2 mature bulls and one immature bull in two different hunts. Hoping this week I’ll have better luck locating some grey bodied critters!

Comment

Working...
                                X