Fluting a barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluting a barrel

I’ve got a 26” Bartlein #8 contour on my .260 in a HS precision stock. It’s heavy, like 14lbs heavy. Would it be better to have the barrel fluted and maybe cut down or just have it rebareled? I would like bring the weight down some for hunting. It’s a little heavy to carry around. I’m ignorant when it comes to things of this nature so I was hoping you guys could help me out. Would fluting it cause any accuracy issues? It’s super accurate as it sits so I don’t want to lose any accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 is heavy regardless of fluting. Chopping it down to 20-22” and fluting it will save some weight, but it’s not going to save anything significant. Personally I’d drop to a #5 or 6 at the heaviest. I’ve run almost all #5s on my hunting rifles, and I’m really happy with theme

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      #8 is heavy regardless of fluting. Chopping it down to 20-22” and fluting it will save some weight, but it’s not going to save anything significant. Personally I’d drop to a #5 or 6 at the heaviest. I’ve run almost all #5s on my hunting rifles, and I’m really happy with theme

Yeah it’s great for range shooting and the weight along with the muzzle break makes recoil almost non existent but I’d like to start hunting with this rifle and as it sits it just too heavy. I was thinking of going with a carbon barrel but I know absolutely nothing about them.

Comment

I'd put a proof research barrel on it. Very light and very accurate barrels. I've been happy with mine and friends that have them are happy with them as well.

Comment

2nd the carbon proof barrel..
          Fluting won't get you there with that Big ol pipe..

Comment

Fluting and cutting down the length will shave some weight but probably wouldn’t be significant.
            Like others have said, I’d put a proof carbon fiber barrel on it.

Comment

If you like the way it shoots, you may consider keeping it and building another lightweight version. Even if you swap out the barrel, it sounds like you will still be in the 9+ pound range. I have been looking for a specific Proof barrel since April or May and some are impossible to find.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                If you like the way it shoots, you may consider keeping it and building another lightweight version. Even if you swap out the barrel, it sounds like you will still be in the 9+ pound range. I have been looking for a specific Proof barrel since April or May and some are impossible to find.

Good advice here

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post

This may be what I do. I’ve got a .308 in the safe that I could use for a donor action.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                    I'd put a proof research barrel on it. Very light and very accurate barrels. I've been happy with mine and friends that have them are happy with them as well.

It’s either this or you will need a new stock as well.

Build another gun [emoji6]

Comment

Everyone needs more than one 260 in their stable! Clearly I vote for the second rifle but if you really want to rebarrel and like heavier (but not number 8 heavy) 3b-5 would be the heaviest I would go for a hunter.

I have a 23 inch #8 on my 308 (m40a3 type build) and she be heavy but she be deadly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                        Everyone needs more than one 260 in their stable! Clearly I vote for the second rifle but if you really want to rebarrel and like heavier (but not number 8 heavy) 3b-5 would be the heaviest I would go for a hunter.

I have a 23 inch #8 on my 308 (m40a3 type build) and she be heavy but she be deadly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        A fluted, 24" 3b-5 would be a great choice for a .260....fluting will also help with stiffness and heat dispersion as well during range time.

Comment

Originally posted by TenRing View Post
                          A fluted, 24" 3b-5 would be a great choice for a .260....fluting will also help with stiffness and heat dispersion as well during range time.
                          How does it help with the stiffness?

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                            How does it help with the stiffness?

A fluted 5 wo t be any stiffer than a none fluted but a fluted barrel that weighs X amount will be stiffer than a nonfluted barrel of same weight.

Comment

Removing material will not make it stiffer. But like previously posted, you can flute say a #5 and it will be stiffer and weigh the same as a #4.

But a fluted #5 will not be stiffer than a non fluted #5. You can't remove material from 2 equal pieces and the one with less finished material be stiffer

Comment

Working...
                              X