Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else get drawn for Laguna Atascosa Exotic Hunt 2/19-2/21?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody else get drawn for Laguna Atascosa Exotic Hunt 2/19-2/21?

Just seeing if anyone else drew. Anyone who has Nilgai hunting experience feel free to drop any tips or knowledge here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not me. But I didn’t put in for it. I’ve wanted to but haven’t.

Comment

Guess not.

Comment

I put in but didn’t get drawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We drew on a bonus hunt 2 years ago, it’s a moderately tough hunt, lots of walking, if successful you will need a wheeled cart to bring it out , find a place you can glass and wait for them to move, then hammer down with a .270 or better, we personally didn’t wait for a bull and had 4 cows get spooked by some other people and my uncle hank shooting a .338win shot one and I shot her again with my .300 because she was getting in a mud flat
          This was in March and hot so we field butchered and packed out , and then elected to deem the hunt a success and didn’t return for the 2nd day
          Probably walked 14-20 miles that day
          Monitor the LA website because they have some hunts not listed with TP&W
          Like ours but need to show up in person early and wait inline to see if you get drawn
          Best of luck and maybe you will get a bull
          I just looked it is in Bahia unit we were in a different unit so your mileage may very
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 10-17-2020, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I got drawn for the archery hunt two weeks earlier. This is NOT the main section of the Reserve. This is a special hunt in the very rarely hunted Bahia Grande unit, so anything you read about the main section may or may not apply. I'm drawn for both sections and will hunt both with bow, the first main section in a few weeks. I've hunted the main section before and yes, there is a ton of walking (except for all the guys riding fat-tire bikes, who walk less) and yes you need a cart, either way. The Bahia Grande section looks completely different to me, at least on Google Earth. Most of it is water and nothing is far from the only access road through it, which I am HOPING we will be able to drive on. If we cannot use that single road and have to walk in from either end, well, that's gonna require putting some miles on the boots.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
              I got drawn for the archery hunt two weeks earlier. This is NOT the main section of the Reserve. This is a special hunt in the very rarely hunted Bahia Grande unit, so anything you read about the main section may or may not apply. I'm drawn for both sections and will hunt both with bow, the first main section in a few weeks. I've hunted the main section before and yes, there is a ton of walking (except for all the guys riding fat-tire bikes, who walk less) and yes you need a cart, either way. The Bahia Grande section looks completely different to me, at least on Google Earth. Most of it is water and nothing is far from the only access road through it, which I am HOPING we will be able to drive on. If we cannot use that single road and have to walk in from either end, well, that's gonna require putting some miles on the boots.

What’s the closest town to stay in? Refuge looks pretty isolated.

Comment

Check out the LA thread in public hunts forum. Plenty of info there. Closest towns are Laguna vista, port Isabel, Los Fresnos

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                  Check out the LA thread in public hunts forum. Plenty of info there. Closest towns are Laguna vista, port Isabel, Los Fresnos

Thanks for the info

Comment

I think the Bahia unit is across the road from the H.E.B. in Port Isabel. Pretty wide open in that unit.

Comment

Any other exotics there?

Comment

not that I am aware of. No other exotics in any of the LANWR units other than Nilgai.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                          not that I am aware of. No other exotics in any of the LANWR units other than Nilgai.

Just wondering because it said all exotic mammals. Didn’t mention anything specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                            Just wondering because it said all exotic mammals. Didn’t mention anything specific.

Nilgai and pigs there.

On the actual Laguna Atascosa part, there has been a couple of sightings of fallow and Auodad, but definitely not enough to be any sort of focus on them. Likely just a couple of escapees passing through from neighboring ranches our there. Bahia has very few neighboring ranches and its all low fence areas and larger places that don’t stock any sort of exotics.

Wish I would’ve drawn Bahia. Good luck out there!
                            Last edited by BigRed323; 10-18-2020, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to it

Comment

Working...
                              X