20-21 Official Duck Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
    As we wait for November does anyone want to discuss hunting the coast, particularly targeting mottled ducks? Being a north texas guy I have never had the chance at mottled ducks but would really like to get some for the wall. I like diy hunts on public land, don't have a boat, but have a kayak and don't mind walking. I've looked at the type 2 public lands. Does anyone have any suggestions? Send me a pm if you don't want to post on the open forum. Tia
    We hunt some marsh areas near Anuahac and mottle ducks are tricky. Seems like 7-8/10 don’t care to decoy but will sit there and survey the spread for 10 mins just to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
      As we wait for November does anyone want to discuss hunting the coast, particularly targeting mottled ducks? Being a north texas guy I have never had the chance at mottled ducks but would really like to get some for the wall. I like diy hunts on public land, don't have a boat, but have a kayak and don't mind walking. I've looked at the type 2 public lands. Does anyone have any suggestions? Send me a pm if you don't want to post on the open forum. Tia
      Mottle ducks prefer their own company most of the time. Like the mated pair & maybe another pair or so. Not big groups. Also tend to like small potholes or secretive spots. What works for general duck hunting won't work for mottle ducks 90% or more most of the time. I grew up hunting them & the areas most concentrated with them. Best luck decoying is get in an area they are in & put out a couple of black duck decoys. They will normally come right in.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
        Curious if anyone on here hunts with Thunderbird? I am looking at joining their club and would appreciate any info. Feel free to PM as well.
        They have a good club. I interviewed & hunted on an invite with them. Good club,but their rules & how they ran it etc just wasn't for me.

Comment

Pic of a molted if a molted duck?
          If they are the ones I'm thinking, I have seen them in small tanks in Starr County.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
            We hunt some marsh areas near Anuahac and mottle ducks are tricky. Seems like 7-8/10 don’t care to decoy but will sit there and survey the spread for 10 mins just to leave.

That’s the dang truth. We had them flying in small groups during teal and they would land out beyond the decoys with the Grebes and shorebirds and just took around for a while then split.

We had pintail come in like redheads too which blew my mind a little. They saw the spread and locked in, cake in feet down straight to the water....not a single circle to check us out. It will never happen in big duck haha.

Comment

That’s the dang truth. We had them flying in small groups during teal and they would land out beyond the decoys with the Grebes and shorebirds and just took around for a while then split.

We had pintail come in like redheads too which blew my mind a little. They saw the spread and locked in, cake in feet down straight to the water....not a single circle to check us out. It will never happen in big duck haha.
              We don't get a lot of pin tails in our area. But when we do they are usually stupid like this. Canvas back the same. Straight into the decoys.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

20-21 Official Duck Thread

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                Pic of a molted if a molted duck?

If they are the ones I'm thinking, I have seen them in small tanks in Starr County.

We took our fair share last year but this one ended up on one of the guys wall.

Comment

That's a good one for the wall. I've killed two banded ones over the years and didn't get them mounted. I've decided the next one I shoot is going on the wall. With their numbers the way they are it may not be an option forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                    We don't get a lot of pin tails in our area. But when we do they are usually stupid like this. Canvas back the same. Straight into the decoys.

On the coast in our area if a pintail comes in they are going to circle you from above about 50 times and slowly corkscrew down and they always seem to know what is just out of shooting range for their approach. Then if you get them to work in you get them on their last circle over the decoys. I don't know if I have ever had a group actually come in feet down and work right into the spread or land. A single yes, but never a group of them. Only ever seen one canvas back on the coast and that was some private marsh land we hunted last year.

Comment

On the coast in our area if a pintail comes in they are going to circle you from above about 50 times and slowly corkscrew down and they always seem to know what is just out of shooting range for their approach. Then if you get them to work in you get them on their last circle over the decoys. I don't know if I have ever had a group actually come in feet down and work right into the spread or land. A single yes, but never a group of them. Only ever seen one canvas back on the coast and that was some private marsh land we hunted last year.

I’ve had the opposite in my experience, so long as I’m hidden all my pintails come right in and get shot front and center on the coast. But In freshwater ponds they won’t come within 60 yards. Been trying to get a freshwater pintail for the wall but looks like a coastal bull will be going to the taxi this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My first duck on my first real duck hunt. Might need to find a Taxi if they are that hard to get. But they are the ones I see back home. Heck, had them in my spread in my last hunt.

Last edited by gatorgar; 10-07-2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                          My first duck on my first teal duck hunt. Might need to find a Taxi if they are that hard to get. But they are the ones I see back home. Heck, had them in my spread in my last hunt.

Are you publicly posting you shot a black duck during teal season? [emoji2958]

Comment

smh...

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
                              I’ve had the opposite in my experience, so long as I’m hidden all my pintails come right in and get shot front and center on the coast. But In freshwater ponds they won’t come within 60 yards. Been trying to get a freshwater pintail for the wall but looks like a coastal bull will be going to the taxi this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I've shot quite a few over the years. Texas coast sounds much different than SWLA marsh. Maybe I'll get a hunt in this year down there.

Any of y'all ever duck hunted aquilla? Don't want spots. Just if it's worth a try or no.

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
                                Are you publicly posting you shot a black duck during teal season? [emoji2958]
                                Last season lol
                                My first "real" duck hunt was last season and it made me learn as much as I could for this year. And I'm loving it. That duck has made me spend a lot of money so far lol

I just went back and saw what I wrote. Real not teal lol
                                Good catch
                                Last edited by gatorgar; 10-07-2020, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X