No announcement yet.

20-21 Official Duck Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure hate to see the season end. It ended on a GREAT note though. Me, my son & killing partner TWDJR got limits to cap a really good season off this morning in Garwood. A lot less birds from last 2 days.
    Now time drags till regular season.

Comment

Question for you seasoned guys.
      I'm building my spread right now and am wanting to get common birds. So far I have a dozen teal, 6 gadwal, and 6 coots (they are the only type I've ever seen). What others should I get? Never seen a mallard nor wood duck. Thinking pintail and ???
      Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
        I'm building my spread right now and am wanting to get common birds. So far I have a dozen teal, 6 gadwal, and 6 coots (they are the only type I've ever seen). What others should I get? Never seen a mallard nor wood duck. Thinking pintail and ???
        Thanks

I’ve hunted three seasons but always hunted with other people. This year was my first year setting off on my own and I built my own spread. I hunt ponds for teal season and the coast for big ducks. My spread consists of 1 dozen teal, half dozen over size pintails, 1 dozen blue bills and a half dozen mallards for when I go north. I use the teal decoys on the ponds in September and I’ll use the rest on the bay. I’ll be adding a dozen redheads soon before big duck season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get whatever you see in your area the most. Pintails or drake spoonies give you alot of white in the spread. I believe it helps get the ducks attention .

Comment

Great last evening sir of teal season. Done in 25 minutes.

Can’t wait to be able to get in some more work with my pup.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
              Sure hate to see the season end. It ended on a GREAT note though. Me, my son & killing partner TWDJR got limits to cap a really good season off this morning in Garwood. A lot less birds from last 2 days.
              Now time drags till regular season.

What a crew!!!!! Congrats on the great hunt!!!!

Comment

Welp shot a 2 man this morning and smoked a gator tail reverse clutch gotta love it!

Comment

Any of you guys know of a good outfitter in North Texas for a Greenhead hunt? Personal experience would be appreciated. I've got a buddy wanting to book a hunt for him and his son in late December, I may join them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                    Thanks

We typically hunt the coast so we throw more decoys than guys hunting smaller ponds. I usually set out 8 - 12 dozen. We use a lot of redhead decoys on the coast as the base of the spread and then supplement in pintail, gadwall, wigeon, and some teal up close to the grass. When we hunt the edges of larger bay we will throw bufflehead out on the edge of the spread as well and usually use the magnum decoys there for better visibility. The white on the magnum bufflehead seems to grab their attention. We don't use any mojo type decoys but have used "confidence" decoys in the past like storks and shorebirds. I don't know if it helps or not but the mojos seem to be bad juju on the coast.

Comment

Curious if anyone on here hunts with Thunderbird? I am looking at joining their club and would appreciate any info. Feel free to PM as well.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                        Any of you guys know of a good outfitter in North Texas for a Greenhead hunt? Personal experience would be appreciated. I've got a buddy wanting to book a hunt for him and his son in late December, I may join them as well.
                        I've hunted with both red leg outfitters and hanson outdoors. I'd give both a call and discuss their hunts and see which one you like the most. I have been happy hunting with both

Comment

As we wait for November does anyone want to discuss hunting the coast, particularly targeting mottled ducks? Being a north texas guy I have never had the chance at mottled ducks but would really like to get some for the wall. I like diy hunts on public land, don't have a boat, but have a kayak and don't mind walking. I've looked at the type 2 public lands. Does anyone have any suggestions? Send me a pm if you don't want to post on the open forum. Tia

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
                            I've hunted with both red leg outfitters and hanson outdoors. I'd give both a call and discuss their hunts and see which one you like the most. I have been happy hunting with both
                            Thanks for the info, I will pass it along to my buddy.

Comment

As we wait for November does anyone want to discuss hunting the coast, particularly targeting mottled ducks? Being a north texas guy I have never had the chance at mottled ducks but would really like to get some for the wall. I like diy hunts on public land, don't have a boat, but have a kayak and don't mind walking. I've looked at the type 2 public lands. Does anyone have any suggestions? Send me a pm if you don't want to post on the open forum. Tia
                              Ive only hunted the coast once but you may look into going with a guide for one day and then on your own the following days. A lot of the "guides" will take you out and drop you off to hunt by yourself so it may help get the lay of the land.

Comment

I have yet to see a mottled duck on the bay, I shoot all my mottled ducks on freshwater ponds. I’d like to get one on the bay though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X