No announcement yet.

Sam Houston NF 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 posts in and know I won’t be hunting Sam anytime soon. That note and the feeder are ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a deer lease that's a guarantee freezer filler but enjoy hunting the sam. It's a challenge. Some years I hunt it more thank others. I didn't draw a doe tag this year so not sure how much I will after bow season. I like the forest as an extra doe for the freezer. I'm not a huge stickler on the rules I've found plenty of stands people leave put year round and could care less if they do that but the feeder is pretty crummy I believe. most feeders I've found were like the little 5 gallon hangers.this is full on big drum with legs tposted in etc lol. Dude has to be local. There are a few private properties in the area.
      Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
      14 posts in and know I won’t be hunting Sam anytime soon. That note and the feeder are ridiculous.

Last edited by SCREAMINREELS; 09-23-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Going for my first time this year. Was on leases, got tired of driving. 45 minutes and I'm walking in. It'll be interesting. I walked it a couple of times. Ran into some camp chairs left from last year, a tire tied to a tree, a 5 gallon bucket tied to another tree in the opposite direction. I know it'll be busy for the first week or two and may let it settle down some before I venture out as a moving target. ... Drew an extra doe tag as well.

Do you have to wear orange during bow season?

Comment

Originally posted by Yamahamma View Post
          Going for my first time this year. Was on leases, got tired of driving. 45 minutes and I'm walking in. It'll be interesting. I walked it a couple of times. Ran into some camp chairs left from last year, a tire tied to a tree, a 5 gallon bucket tied to another tree in the opposite direction. I know it'll be busy for the first week or two and may let it settle down some before I venture out as a moving target. ... Drew an extra doe tag as well.

You have to wear orange if there is any firearm season happening in the area for any wildlife.

Comment

Squirrel season I believe is open during bow season. Might be wrong on that.

Comment

Squirrel opens on Oct 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope some of the old timers come back. Been gone for four years. Good luck this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Yamahamma View Post

I’m always in orange when I go into the forest. There are plenty of people hunting hogs year round, so I decided to play it safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigblue25 View Post
                    I just got my cameras stolen yesterday, people think they own the forest

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

There is probably a big deer in the area that somebody doesn’t want you to know about. You may be doing this but I always hang my cameras 10ft plus so they are out of reach and not in a persons normal field of view.

Comment

Originally posted by PKal88 View Post
                      I saw you posted that on the facebook page blue, Where about on the east side? Thats where I hunted the last couple years because I was at Sam and never had a problem.

i haven’t posted this anywhere else ,where else did you seee this ? This was off 2025 in coldspring

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
                        Just leaving the forest. Wanted to take advantage of wet ground for tracks.Headed home now. Had a few new areas I wanted to check out I marked on GPS. Couldn't figure out how to get to a few of them. Just too thick. Found two great areas with lots of sign. One is a little too close to private land. The other I stumbled into following drainages. Found a butt load of tracks, scrapes and acorns. Started marking it on onX, picking out stand locations etc. Kept following tracks and ran into a lean to and a feeder. That explains why it was so beat down. This was like a mile and a half in too.dude has to be using a 4 wheeler.

where i got my cameras stolen there was 4 wheeler tracks everywhere too this last time i went

Comment

Originally posted by ChasingTail View Post
                          There is probably a big deer in the area that somebody doesn’t want you to know about. You may be doing this but I always hang my cameras 10ft plus so they are out of reach and not in a persons normal field of view.

yea i put them as high as i could , i didn’t have my sticks with me , but it was a great open spot , he probably caught me on camera

Comment

Originally posted by Bigblue25 View Post
                            I just got my cameras stolen yesterday, people think they own the forest

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

They used the wrong “you’re”. Must be very intelligent. I say stand your ground. You will find out real quick who they are. Don’t let them scare you away.

Comment

Are there actually deer in the Sam . I though the last one was killed 2 years ago on 45 as it was running to escape the orange army.

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
                                Are there actually deer in the Sam . I though the last one was killed 2 years ago on 45 as it was running to escape the orange army.
                                You and your brother killed them all. At least all the big ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X