No announcement yet.

Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use fake grass on my duck blinds. It lasts longer. But anything natural that will break up the outline will work. Can't cut limbs or plants (I'm pretty sure but may be getting my rules mixed up with other sites) but you can use dead wood. If you can situate it in behind live plants and fill in with stuff you bring with you it can work out well.

Comment

Thanks.. I have a roll of that leafy netting that I could use. But l guess it would still have the same outline.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
        I use fake grass on my duck blinds. It lasts longer. But anything natural that will break up the outline will work. Can't cut limbs or plants (I'm pretty sure but may be getting my rules mixed up with other sites) but you can use dead wood. If you can situate it in behind live plants and fill in with stuff you bring with you it can work out well.
        This is what I did. And still do in some cases. But I use a different product now, most of the time. It's called "CamoFlex".

You can get it in green or brown. I've got both and can mix them. I have basically the whole system so I can cover all aspects, even tree stands. And can also use it without a ground blind. Works great!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I had somebody leave a note on my truck one time, telling me not to be cutting vegetation. Guess they saw me brushing in my blind with it. Or carrying it in on my pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpolks-TR View Post
            Glad that it is getting to be that time of year. For the new guys, that are thinking of getting started, i like to find a spot, but be able to move and adjust quickly as well.

I have a couple spots i have been corning for a couple months now. put a couple of cameras up to see what was coming in, usually don't put cameras up, but had some old ones that were somewhat sacrificial. well last week, the corp land folks made a sweep of my area, and left me a coupe of little laminated notes.

Seems to be more hogs than normal this year for whatever reason.
            There does seem to be more hogs this year. If it wasn’t so hard on arrows I’d be hunting them a lot more.

Comment

A hog in the freezer is better than going without red meat for another year, for me. [emoji23]

With exception chicken and turkey, I've gone back to a wild game diet for meat. Same diet I was on before 15 years ago. I'll still buy veggies at the grocery though.

Last year was rough. Had to get some health issues back in order. Was the first year since about 1982 that I didn't hunt anything at all. I wanted to go. But to many other things got in the way. Since quitting beef and store bought pork back in June of 2019, and started eating right, I'd dropped lil over 50 lbs. Only gained back 5 lbs. Still got another 20 to go. But I'll have to burn that off. And my life schedule is now a little more open now due to recent events. So, hopefully I can get it done soon.

I'll be stocking the freezer this year! [emoji16]

Comment

We're about done with last year's hog. I'll take one any day.

Comment

Well, PK has almost doubled it's release rate from yesterday to 1,075 cfs. Grandbury is releasing almost double what PK is releasing at 2,186 cfs.

And guess what folks? The W lake is above normal and is currently .23 feet above normal. They still aren't releasing much (25 to 26cfs). And probably won't unless a big rain comes in the upper Brazos basin.

And the A lake has gone down a little more to .23 feet below normal.

Comment

Anyone fished aquilla lately??

Bout time to get kayak wet, now that it’s cooling off.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                      Well, PK has almost doubled it's release rate from yesterday to 1,075 cfs. Grandbury is releasing almost double what PK is releasing at 2,186 cfs.

And guess what folks? The W lake is above normal and is currently .23 feet above normal. They still aren't releasing much (25 to 26cfs). And probably won't unless a big rain comes in the upper Brazos basin.

And the A lake has gone down a little more to .23 feet below normal.
                      I was there yesterday TG and my dog didnt like the current in the river after they opened the gates.

Comment

Storm, hope the pup is fine.

You shoulda had a rod with ya. Them cats and stripers always go to feeding when the gates open up.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                          I was there yesterday TG and my dog didnt like the current in the river after they opened the gates.

Have you had that pup on any birds yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            Have you had that pup on any birds yet?
                            Haven't hunted her but we do use ducks and pheasants to train with .

Comment

Grandbury has cut it's water release rate back to 896 cfs. This is good for the upper end of the W lake. I have fished way up the Brazos in the river with this water release. And by the time it gets to Chisholm Trail Park, it's almost non existent at that rate. But remember, the water takes about a day to a day and a half to get there from Grandbury. PK is only releasing a little over 500cfs. So I don't expect Grandbury to bump theirs back up unless PK does. W lake is only .26 feet above normal.

A lake is .29 feet below normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                                Anyone fished aquilla lately??

Bout time to get kayak wet, now that it’s cooling off.
                                Nope, but thinking about hitting A or W this weekend. Thinking of lower W for shallow bass.

Comment

Working...
                                X